"Cancel Culture" Opinions?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought I'd start a thread on Cancel Culture to gather some opinions.  Personally, I cannot stand it. It seems nearly every day, someone, some company or some product is "cancelled" because they

I got a chance to read up on the thread and there were a lot of great posts.  My overall worry about cancel culture is that it seems we're quickly moving towards a point where no one can speak th

Thanks 🤣    Trying to cancel or erase cinema (the most collaborative art form there is) because someone problematic worked on it is just fucking stupid. It’s book burning level stupid. I r

Posted Images

I don't really understand it, you're cancelled so...what exactly?  A bunch of people don't like you basically?  Well isn't that just about every worthwhile contentious figure in culture?  Thats a badge of honour right, thats how you get a contentious counter culture.

6 hours ago, action said:

how many of those artists are white though?

it seems to me that black artists can get away with much more than white ones, especially today with "black lives matter"

65E79ED8-A207-4353-8806-561D31389A18.gif.45d57ee6911c2baf0bd4446b0aa31842.gif

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

I don't really understand it, you're cancelled so...what exactly?  A bunch of people don't like you basically?  Well isn't that just about every worthwhile contentious figure in culture?  Thats a badge of honour right, thats how you get a contentious counter culture.

it's easy to dismiss being canceled, it never really happened to me since I don't do social media, but imagine a flood of negativity of people telling you to fuck off and die, with loonies trying to contact your family or your work... scary shit, Len.

Personally I have very fragile mental wellbeing, and one bad thing that happens doesn't do much damage, two bad things are ok, but when the third one happens, and then the next... I can fall through the floor pretty quickly. it certainly doesn't help that I'm sometimes too outspoken for my own good, perhaps I should just shut my mouth anyway, but what is life when you can't speak your mind?

1 minute ago, downzy said:

65E79ED8-A207-4353-8806-561D31389A18.gif.45d57ee6911c2baf0bd4446b0aa31842.gif

I forgot about eminem. good point.

perhaps my post was a bit ignorant

Just now, action said:

it's easy to dismiss being canceled, it never really happened to me since I don't do social media, but imagine a flood of negativity of people telling you to fuck off and die, with loonies trying to contact your family or your work... scary shit, Len.

Wow, myself and former staff members here have no idea what that must be like. /sarcasm

• Haha 1
Just now, downzy said:

Wow, myself and former staff members here have no idea what that must be like. /sarcasm

it's not something you wish upon even your worst enemies.

why can't people just be kind to each other? A smile, a nice word, a "how are you doing mate" doesn't cost much

7 hours ago, downzy said:

But do you honestly think people can't be provocative in art anymore? 

I don't see it in television where the last ten to fifteen years has produced some of the most thought-provoking and boundary pushing output in the history of the format.  There have been no shortage of ground-breaking but also less than safe and provocative shows.

With respect to music, I think the lack of interesting output has more to do with the marketplace itself and less to do with whatever effects "cancel culture" is having.  I do believe AFD would still be made today, but it's unlikely few would hear it since that kind of music is no longer part of the cultural zeitgeits.  As @Jakey Styley mentioned, there are still sleaze, glorification of violence, and out-right celebration of misogyny in hip hop, probably one of the biggest and most popular genres of music going today.  "Turn around I've got a use for you," seems quaint when compared to some of the stuff Eminem puts on his records.

Plus there's the question of whether the world, including Axl, has moved on from what AFD did back then. 

Chinese Democracy showed that Axl has lyrically moved on from the kind of excessive, and in some instances tawdry, imagery and invocations that drove some of GNR's music back in the mid to late 1980s. 

The world has changed and I'm not sure the music we're getting is really the product of artists bending to pressure from social media campaigns or finding other ways to push boundaries that middle-aged white guys like you and I aren't exposed to or don't identify with.  While I can't consider myself a huge fan and am likely speaking from a place of ignorance, from what I understanding artists like Beyonce and Kendrick Lamar have produced some provocative works in the last few years.  Kanye, love him or hate him, certainly is pushing boundaries with respect to what he touches upon in his music.  The problem for those of us who grew up in the 80s and 90s who conceptualize boundary pushing music in the frame we know it is that it makes it harder for us to see and feel it when that frame changes.  I'm not sure the absence of Sunset Blvd sleaze in popular music that drives culture has much to do with cancel culture and more to do where music sits in culture in general and who it's being made by and for.  

I used Appetite as an example just because this is a GN'R forum so it seemed like the easiest example. I'm certainly not sitting around waiting for Axl to write more lyrics like that. My point was that I don't believe any artists today COULD if they wanted to. I was assuming my reputation as a well listened music fan of all genres and depth of lyrics would get that point across, but I guess not? Lol

Also, it's not a matter of "the world moving on" from any particular influence or sound. Pop music for younger people has always existed and it's always been at the forefront. That's never going to change. Furthermore, there's plenty of new pop music that's still great at least IMO. 

Overall, I'm always more concerned with art that challenges the listener. I see/hear less and less of that which is very concerning to me. Cancel culture being the culprit is just a guess on my part of course. I could certainly be wrong, but it's what I'm seeing from my perspective. 

it's easy to dismiss being canceled, it never really happened to me since I don't do social media, but imagine a flood of negativity of people telling you to fuck off and die,

Well there's an easy solution to that, tell em to fuck off back :lol:

I forgot about eminem. good point.

perhaps my post was a bit ignorant

There's loads of other white rapper y'know.

27 minutes ago, downzy said:

See, this is my point, some fuckin' pussy on the internet saying shit about you, big wow, fuck em, you been to plenty GnR shows I'm guessing right?  Anybody ever run up on you at one?  I'm guessing but I bet they haven't.  What would one say to you in that regard, 'i don't like the way you moderate your forum motherfucker' :lol:  Uh...OK? :lol:

On 8/8/2020 at 6:07 PM, RussTCB said:

Thought I'd start a thread on Cancel Culture to gather some opinions. 

Personally, I cannot stand it. It seems nearly every day, someone, some company or some product is "cancelled" because they said or did something that offended someone. 

It just seems like there's no room for human error anymore. I fully understand that there are people and companies with bad intentions, but I refuse to believe every single company and person is bad at heart. I'm certain there are people and companies who make honest mistakes, but the current Cancel Culture leaves no room for that. 

It just feels like we're gonna get to a point where no one wants to say or do anything for fear of being cancelled. I think about most of the comedy I grew up on and nearly all of it would never have a chance to be made today. Same with music. There's tons of artists who would never have a chance by today's "be offended by everything" culture. 

I'm sure this topic has been touched on in other threads, but I really want to hear some opinions on it so I thought I'd give it a thread of its own. 

You used to be administrator/moderator in this forum. You have banned members. You have locked threads. You have deleted threads and posts. And now you claim you are against that? I don't remember you being concerned about artists not having a chance while locking a given thread.

I'm not against the rules we have here. But tell me why do we have rules? I guess by answering my question, you will find the answer you're looking for yourself

• Haha 1

You used to be administrator/moderator in this forum. You have banned members. You have locked threads. You have deleted threads and posts. And now you claim you are against that? I don't remember you being concerned about artists not having a chance while locking a given thread.

I'm not against the rules we have here. But tell me why do we have rules?

To keep people from spamming the forum with pictures of great big cocks? :lol: 

6 minutes ago, Padme said:

I'm not against the rules we have here. But tell me why do we have rules? I guess by answering my question, you will find the answer you're looking for yourself

it's easy to dismiss moderators as some sort of power-craving dictators who get a kick out of banning people.

the reality is of course a bit different.

I wouldn't want the responsability over a forum where every looney and his uncle can post stuff that could potentially damage you directly, as owner of the site. to have this vehicle where posts are made continuously, and they all have the potential to ruin your day, or worse. they won't remember the member who made the post, no they will remember the forum it was posted on and by extension, the owner of the site.

Frankly, if I every had a message board under my control, I'd ban people by the dozens, even though I'm against all that. 

5 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

To keep people from spamming the forum with pictures of great big cocks? :lol: 

Can't imagine who would ever do such a thing. :lol: 

• Haha 1

The questions isn't 'should there be rules' but more questioning of the validity of the notion that if something offends it should be censored.  Personally I think EVERYTHING should be allowed in art.  Literally everything.  As long as no unwilling of helpless person or minor or whatever is harmed in the making of it, then go for it.  Its not about the thing its the point behind the thing, truths that need to be told are almost always offensive to someone and if so, well, tough shit. 

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

Can't imagine who would ever do such a thing. :lol: 

He'd have to be a right cock eh? :lol:

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

He'd have to be a right cock eh? :lol:

More like a putrid rotten fanny. Ever googled "Blue Waffle"? :lol:  

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Padme said:

LOL, what? 

Locking a thread because we already have another thread for the same topic or the topic has already been discussed to death is "cancel culture"? 

Just now, Dazey said:

More like a putrid rotten fanny. Ever googled "Blue Waffle"? :lol:  

A certain someone enlightened me on the matter actually, once upon a time not too long ago :lol:

Just now, Len Cnut said:

A certain someone enlightened me on the matter actually, once upon a time not too long ago :lol:

Don't trust 'em! Sounds like a cunt! :lol: 

• Haha 1
Just now, RussTCB said:

LOL, what? 

Locking a thread because we already have another thread for the same topic or the topic has already been discussed to death is "cancel culture"? 

I think what she's getting at is 'cancel culture' is essentially a set of rules.

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I think what she's getting at is 'cancel culture' is essentially a set of rules.

I get that. I guess to me there's a giant difference between locking threads on here and the mob "you must think exactly like me" mentally of cancel culture. 

33 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

LOL, what? 

That's not what I meant and you know it. Again why members are getting banned and why was a given post deleted? I know, there are rules. What cancel culture? For example today you can see sex in movies. You can see actors saying "fuck you" That wasn't the case in the 40s or 50s. Can some artist write a song like OIAM? Sure. Would that be controversial? You bet. The artist has the right to say what he/she wants. But at the same he/she has to deal with what they bring to themselves.

Edited by Padme
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, Padme said:

That's not what I meant and you know it. Again why members are getting banned and why was a given post deleted? I know, there are rules. What cancel culture? For example today you can see sex in movies. You can see actors saying "fuck you" That wasn't the case in the 40s or 50s. Can some artist write a song like OIAM? Sure. Would that be controversial? You bet. The artist has the right to say what he/she wants. But at the same he/she has to deal with what they bring to themselves.

Wait....are you suggesting that cancel culture doesn't exist? I'm not being a smart ass, I'm asking honestly. 

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Wait....are you suggesting that cancel culture doesn't exist? I'm not being a smart ass, I'm asking honestly. 

I'm saying it's nothing new. There were different kinds of cancel culture at different times. A movie like Pulp Fiction was unthinkable 60 years ago.

3 minutes ago, Padme said:

I'm saying it's nothing new. There were different kinds of cancel culture at different times. A movie like Pulp Fiction was unthinkable 60 years ago.

I totally agree it's nothing new, but it just seems like it's ramped WAY up over the past year. At least to me it seems that way.