Jump to content

"Cancel Culture" Opinions?


Recommended Posts

Shit like social media makes it seem bigger than it is, more news, every opinion has a voice and a name to it...but out there in the real world it ain't shit, thats my feeling.  Or it ain't much anyway.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought I'd start a thread on Cancel Culture to gather some opinions.  Personally, I cannot stand it. It seems nearly every day, someone, some company or some product is "cancelled" because they

I got a chance to read up on the thread and there were a lot of great posts.  My overall worry about cancel culture is that it seems we're quickly moving towards a point where no one can speak th

Thanks 🤣    Trying to cancel or erase cinema (the most collaborative art form there is) because someone problematic worked on it is just fucking stupid. It’s book burning level stupid. I r

Posted Images

the funny part is, that most of the issues raised, say with the cereals and rice thing, is that you really can't argue with them. who can argue that it is wrong to put uncle bens on there, as a symbol of racism? no one in their right mind would defend it. or that trolls thing were people were speaking scandal of that knob on the place where her private parts were: again, no one can argue that this is a bit questionable to say the least. In 99% of gthe cases, I agree with the "complainers".

but what then ensues, this I disagree wirth. A general outcry, peoople getting fired, products being altered… I mean come on get a fucking life will ya.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I totally agree it's nothing new, but it just seems like it's ramped WAY up over the past year. At least to me it seems that way. 

Today we have 24hs news and we have social media. Many things have changed and changes are happening too fast. Maybe instead of cancel culture there is a cultural revolution going on. We are in the middle of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Padme said:

I'm saying it's nothing new. There were different kinds of cancel culture at different times. A movie like Pulp Fiction was unthinkable 60 years ago.

 

25 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I totally agree it's nothing new, but it just seems like it's ramped WAY up over the past year. At least to me it seems that way. 

I don't ever think of films as being a part of cancel culture as such. I mean I can't think of anybody who has been made to go away because they made a movie. I think that the big difference between today and years gone by is social media plain and simple. It's the schoolyard mentality ramped up to the extreme whereby you can gang up on somebody en masse without ever having met them. There was just no way to do this in the days before Facebook, Twitter etc.

The other problem is that people now have digital histories going back most of their lives. Like everything you ever said online is available for somebody to trawl through to find something to use against you if they so wish. I for one am so glad that my teens and most of my 20's happened in the days before camera phones and social media were a thing in the way they are now. It was very comforting to know that you had a little protection back in the day as even if somebody was walking around with a disposable camera they would have to take the pictures to the store to get developed so some of the more legally ambiguous activities were never documented in the way they would be today. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Maybe I'm not making my point clear. 

So let's say that I say/do something that I do not consider to be offensive in any way, shape or form. 

What's to stop someone else in the world from deciding that it offends them? 

The answer is nothing. There's nothing stopping someone somewhere in the world from deciding that what I've said or done is offensive to them. Furthermore, those same people now have the tools (social media and cancel culture) to go online and gather an angry mob who agree with them. 

Wait. So this boils down to you having anxiety that a hypothetical person - a single person - somewhere on earth might get “offended” by what you are thinking?

Dude??

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, soon said:

Wait. So this boils down to you having anxiety that a hypothetical person - a single person - somewhere on earth might get “offended” by what you are thinking?

Dude??

LOL, not at all. 

What happens with cancel culture these days is that one random person somewhere gets offended by something. Then they start a movement online. Then mobs of people join in to the chorus. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, downzy said:

You do realize that people who practice in corporate activism or denounce those accused of serial sexual assault don't ascribe to the term moniker of "cancel culture."   

It's a pejorative phrase or descriptor as a catch-all phrase.  No one perceives themselves as participating or belonging to "cancel culture."

Perhaps I'm misreading your opinion, but you come across as sounding that people should be free of criticisms or consequences regarding their actions.  Why shouldn't some level or element of "harm" (whether it be loss of income, employment, etc) befall those who cause, through their own actions, injury towards other?  

This point reminds me of the Jerry Springer show.  I'm sure you remember when they would bring out the "other man" and the husband would go after the dude.  But it never made sense to me that the cheated husband would go after the other guy.  Why is his anger not initially and solely directed towards his whore wife? 

My point here is who really gives a shit what people are tweeting about.  If an employer is going to fire an employee based solely on what a few people are tweeting without doing their due diligence, then the issue isn't the twittersphere mob but the company itself.  

There was a case a few years ago in Toronto where a female reporter was harassed by a couple of drunk asshole after a pro soccer game.  One of the guys involved was identified and fired soon after a huge uproar.  The cause for his termination was for violating the company's code of conduct.  But he was rehired six months later long after anyone gave a shit.  

To some extent I agree, but you're giving this "mob" too much credit.  It's not a some all encompassing and inescapable forces that will not bend until its needs are met.  Nearly every prime time talking head on Fox News has faced boycotts raised against them.  All of them (Hannity, Ingraham, Hannity) are still on night after night.  Neil DeGrass Tyson still has his job at the Hayden Planetarium.  Aziz Ansari's stand up performances still sell out and has an open invitation by Netflix to another season of his show.

Simply, you and others give to much agency and authority.  It's not the judge and jury that people make it out to be.  

Your examples of cancel culture run amuck seem more indicative of poorly run companies with weak kneed senior management than it does to people using technological and communicative tools to foster change and holding the corrupt and evil to account.

I don't think you are disagreeing with my points.

Anyway, to simplify...

- Of course people should be held accountable for their actions.

- "Cancel Culture" has always been around.  It's based off the concept of "Mob Mentality".

- Although "cancel culture" seemingly has "good intentions" on the surface, it can lead to something much worse.  "Innocent entities being "unjustly" accused and/or destroyed/hurt."  (And has, throughout history).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ace Nova said:

- "Cancel Culture" has always been around.  It's based off the concept of "Mob Mentality".

I would argue that the difference these days is in the ease of assembling the mob.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

LOL, not at all. 

What happens with cancel culture these days is that one random person somewhere gets offended by something. Then they start a movement online. Then mobs of people join in to the chorus. 

Yeah, so you fear a random, hypothetical boogey man. 

Most people dont. Because whats on their mind isnt harmful.

So it begs the question, what are the thoughts you know better than to share? Again, this is self imposed. 

And "offended" is just a term used to downgrade the harm one caused and blame the person who's been harmed for the situation. Its a red flag in a conversation like this one.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I would argue that the difference these days is in the ease of assembling the mob.

Exactly.

It's "Mob Mentality" on steroids.  :lol:

Edited by Ace Nova
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Exactly.

It's "Mob Mentality" on steroids.  :lol:

See you're old as fuck like me so you know that back in the day if somebody said something offensive on the TV people would get upset and maybe have a rant about it to the wife, or their friends in the pub or even write a letter to the network if they were REALLY upset. And that would be it pretty much. By the time the message had made its way to anybody in a position to do anything about it the people who were offended had forgotten all about it and moved onto the next thing.

Nowadays if you see something on the TV or the internet you can be on Twitter with every other like minded whiny little bitch calling for their head on a stick within 30 seconds of the broadcast. I think what we lack today more than anything is the time to chill out and think about things before expressing an opinion. It's like when you would get shitfaced and text an ex before wishing somebody had taken the phone away from you and allowed you to sleep on it. :lol:   

It's too easy to be outraged these days and it's even easier to express that outrage to anybody who'll listen. 

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, soon said:

Yeah, so you fear a random, hypothetical boogey man. 

Most people dont. Because whats on their mind isnt harmful.

So it begs the question, what are the thoughts you know better than to share? Again, this is self imposed. 

And "offended" is just a term used to downgrade the harm one caused and blame the person who's been harmed for the situation. Its a red flag in a conversation like this one.

it's good to have that anxiety though. no one is safe from being canceled, not even people who have Always had a clear record, like the ellen show. it could happen to basically anyone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Padme said:

Today we have 24hs news and we have social media. Many things have changed and changes are happening too fast. Maybe instead of cancel culture there is a cultural revolution going on. We are in the middle of it.

We are in an era of “transition”.  The main issue is that “cancel culture” tends to “force it” at an alarming pace; thanks to the help of technology/social media.  The dangers of it is that many times, some of the “changes” are unjustified and can be started by people for the simple fact that they may not “like” an entity and since that person has 1 million followers, it spreads like wildfire. (Whether it’s justified or not). 

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

See you're old as fuck like me so you know that back in the day if somebody said something offensive on the TV people would get upset and maybe have a rant about it to the wife, or their friends in the pub or even write a letter to the network if they were REALLY upset. And that would be it pretty much. By the time the message had made its way to anybody in a position to do anything about it the people who were offended had forgotten all about it and moved onto the next thing.

Nowadays if you see something on the TV or the internet you can be on Twitter with every other like minded whiny little bitch calling for their head on a stick within 30 seconds of the broadcast. I think what we lack today more than anything is the time to chill out and think about things before expressing an opinion. It's like when you would get shitfaced and text an ex before wishing somebody had taken the phone away from you and allowed you to sleep on it. :lol:   

It's too easy to be outraged these days and it's even easier to express that outrage to anybody who'll listen. 

Spot on.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, action said:

it's good to have that anxiety though. no one is safe from being canceled, not even people who have Always had a clear record, like the ellen show. it could happen to basically anyone.

You'll note that Ellen isn't "anyone" she's a super famous person.

Also this is a great vehicle to highlight how the media one consumes influences them. Clearly the media you consume that is worked up about cancel culture told you that Ellen had a clean record before this recent thing. That is not at all the case. Thoughtful people were turned off years ago when your friendship with the war criminal Bush Jr came to light.... and she wasnt canceled for supporting a war criminal, just good people rejected her. 

Also her current thing is a perfect encapsulation of the anxiety, because she was called out for litterally being an asshole. Dont be an asshole, then none of that happens. 

Its almost like you are admitting this hysteria is in defence of some peoples desires to be assholes without consequence. 

Edited by soon
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

LOL, not at all. 

What happens with cancel culture these days is that one random person somewhere gets offended by something. Then they start a movement online. Then mobs of people join in to the chorus. 

Bingo.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, soon said:

Yeah, so you fear a random, hypothetical boogey man. 

Most people dont. Because whats on their mind isnt harmful.

So it begs the question, what are the thoughts you know better than to share? Again, this is self imposed. 

And "offended" is just a term used to downgrade the harm one caused and blame the person who's been harmed for the situation. Its a red flag in a conversation like this one.

Wait.....I think you're missing the point. *I'm* not afraid of sharing my thoughts. 

The thread is about the cancel culture that goes on online, not my own personal thoughts and opinions. 

I made the thread to get others opinions on it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Wait.....I think you're missing the point. *I'm* not afraid of sharing my thoughts. 

The thread is about the cancel culture that goes on online, not my own personal thoughts and opinions. 

I made the thread to get others opinions on it. 

@soon likes to argue just to argue.  Watch... Hey @soon, I think the Trolls doll should actually be cancelled and pulled off the shelves.  It's creepy and encourages little girls to let pedophiles touch their privates.  How do you feel about it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, soon said:

 

Also her current thing is a perfect encapsulation of the anxiety, because she was called out for litterally being an asshole. Dont be an asshole, then none of that happens. 

Its almost like you are admitting this hysteria is in defence of some peoples desires to be assholes without consequence. 

Who makes that call, though?  

I'll give you another example.  Say "cancel culture" does a 180 tomorrow and started "canceling" the riots/rioters throughout the country.  The rioters were "called out", their names and addresses go viral as a result, they lose their jobs and need to go into "hiding" in fear of their own safety. 

How would that make you feel about "cancel culture"?

Edited by Ace Nova
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dazey said:

 

I don't ever think of films as being a part of cancel culture as such. I mean I can't think of anybody who has been made to go away because they made a movie. I think that the big difference between today and years gone by is social media plain and simple. It's the schoolyard mentality ramped up to the extreme whereby you can gang up on somebody en masse without ever having met them. There was just no way to do this in the days before Facebook, Twitter etc.

The other problem is that people now have digital histories going back most of their lives. Like everything you ever said online is available for somebody to trawl through to find something to use against you if they so wish. I for one am so glad that my teens and most of my 20's happened in the days before camera phones and social media were a thing in the way they are now. It was very comforting to know that you had a little protection back in the day as even if somebody was walking around with a disposable camera they would have to take the pictures to the store to get developed so some of the more legally ambiguous activities were never documented in the way they would be today. :lol: 

Actors got black listed because their political ideas. Some of those people never worked in the movie industry again. And nobody could be openly gay either. In the music industry, there's been controversy as well. As I mentioned Axl with OIAM, but GN'R weathered the storm. John Lennon got in trouble during an interview because he said "Beatles were more popular than Jesus." Some people decided to burn Beatles albums. They were pissed off because Lennon mantioned Jesus. Sinead O'Connor and her controversy with the Pope. There was no Facebook nor Twitter back then. I agree that in social media there are people who making a living just being trolls. Now if they get banned they claim violation of free speech. And they complain against everything that is politicaly correct. So we are in a damn if you do, damn if you don't situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Who makes that call, though?  

I'll give you another example.  Say "cancel culture" does a 180 tomorrow and started "canceling" the riots/rioters throughout the country.  The rioters were "called out", their names and addresses go viral as a result, they lose their jobs and need to go into "hiding" in fear of their own safety. 

How would that make you feel about "cancel culture"?

1) That does happen.

2) Ive shared my in depth thoughts on cancel culture, and Im not seeing them reflected in what you are asserting about my position on the matter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

@soon likes to argue just to argue.  Watch... Hey @soon, I think the Trolls doll should actually be cancelled and pulled off the shelves.  It's creepy and encourages little girls to let pedophiles touch their privates.  How do you feel about it?

 

14 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

He also grows and consumes a copious amount of weed. 

 HAHAHA right wingers have no arguments. And are clearly butt hurt about it :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, soon said:

1) That does happen.

2) Ive shared my in depth thoughts on cancel culture, and Im not seeing them reflected in what you are asserting about my position on the matter.

Ok, fair enough.

Other than it being a "distraction" to more important issues, causes, etc...do you find anything else potentially "harmful" about it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Who makes that call, though?  

I'll give you another example.  Say "cancel culture" does a 180 tomorrow and started "canceling" the riots/rioters throughout the country.  The rioters were "called out", their names and addresses go viral as a result, they lose their jobs and need to go into "hiding" in fear of their own safety. 

How would that make you feel about "cancel culture"?

Good point but they're out there rioting because they don't have jobs to get up for the next morning.  Then they sleep all day before going back out at night again.  

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, soon said:

 

 HAHAHA right wingers have no arguments. And are clearly butt hurt about it :lol:

There's plenty of "conservatives" that use "medicinal marijuana", especially among Gen X & Millennials.  ;)

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...