• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hüsker Dü, The Replacements, R.E.M., Soul Asylum, The Smiths, Pixies, The Cure. edit, I realized just now you asked for albums, well, probably any 80's records by those bands might tickle your fa

I've always had a soft spot for Billy Idol.  

The 80s are the dark age of music?? Honest to God, I have never ever heard that opinion ever. There's a ton of amazing music that came out of that decade. 

7 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Me too, I think he's pretty awesome. Have you heard To Be A Lover? I think it's off of Whiplash Smile.

He’s from Stanmore.  Its like a 20 minute drive from here, a really really strait laced suburb.  Its just so funny to me, Mr lip curlin’ leather clad Idol is from...Stanmore :lol:  The two things don’t...mesh.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Me too, I think he's pretty awesome. Have you heard To Be A Lover? I think it's off of Whiplash Smile.

God, I haven't heard that song in forever. 

On 8/14/2020 at 10:40 AM, RussTCB said:

The 80s are the dark age of music?? Honest to God, I have never ever heard that opinion ever. There's a ton of amazing music that came out of that decade. 

Yeah what?

80s were awesome

60s-90s were great for modern mainstream music

• Like 1

Loved all the 80's bands. When we got MTV, my mom would record the Headbangers Ball and we would watch it on Sundays. So many awesome bands that are still around today!

I would have seen many of those bands in concerts this year if not for that damn virus.

Anyway, MTV classic channel has the metal/pop videos every Friday night. The only problem is it shows the same damn videos each week and maybe a few new ones. There were so many cool bands and videos back in the 80's, but this stupid show continues to show the same shit. I even tweeted them to complain, but no one cares. I dvr the shows and then speed through them like a crazy bitch.

4 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Yeah what?

80s were awesome

60s-90s were great for modern mainstream music

My mom was a kid in the 60's. So many great bands and songs. Once the British invasion came it was amazing. She also loved the Motown bands too.

3 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Loved all the 80's bands. When we got MTV, my mom would record the Headbangers Ball and we would watch it on Sundays. So many awesome bands that are still around today!

I would have seen many of those bands in concerts this year if not for that damn virus.

Anyway, MTV classic channel has the metal/pop videos every Friday night. The only problem is it shows the same damn videos each week and maybe a few new ones. There were so many cool bands and videos back in the 80's, but this stupid show continues to show the same shit. I even tweeted them to complain, but no one cares. I dvr the shows and then speed through them like a crazy bitch.

My mom was a kid in the 60's. So many great bands and songs. Once the British invasion came it was amazing. She also loved the Motown bands too.

Yeah, they play the same vids on Metal Mayhem. If I never see Holy Diver again it'll be too soon.😄

20 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Yeah, they play the same vids on Metal Mayhem. If I never see Holy Diver again it'll be too soon.😄

I know and my mom totally loved "Rainbow in the dark" but now we fast forward most of the songs these days. 

One night they actually played 3 Dokken songs. My mom and I loved Dokken.

Not enough variety and God help me if they play Winger's "Seventeen" I will scream. What a terrible song about a terrible subject! Winger had so many awesome songs and this one is not one of them. In this day and age why would you play a song about a 17 year old girl with an older man? I know Kip has daughters and you know he would not want his 17 year old daughter with an older man let alone a musician. lol

And the Ratt songs! Don't get me started on how politically incorrect those songs are. lol I used to love the 80's music, now I think what the hell? Thank God for GNR!

55 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I know and my mom totally loved "Rainbow in the dark" but now we fast forward most of the songs these days. 

One night they actually played 3 Dokken songs. My mom and I loved Dokken.

Not enough variety and God help me if they play Winger's "Seventeen" I will scream. What a terrible song about a terrible subject! Winger had so many awesome songs and this one is not one of them. In this day and age why would you play a song about a 17 year old girl with an older man? I know Kip has daughters and you know he would not want his 17 year old daughter with an older man let alone a musician. lol

And the Ratt songs! Don't get me started on how politically incorrect those songs are. lol I used to love the 80's music, now I think what the hell? Thank God for GNR!

Yeah, the subject matter was not always appropriate. 😄 But yeah, Dokken and especially Ratt, were great bands. Players like Warren DeMartini and George Lynch were top level. And I love Don Dokken's voice, no matter what Lynch says. Lol.

Edited by lame ass security
On 8/14/2020 at 8:20 PM, lame ass security said:

It's been awhile but yeah, it's a good one you never hear. I think Don't Need a Gun is on that album. Both have good 80s beats.

• Like 1

A true original. And one of the pioneers of hip hop from the 80s. MC Ricky D, Slick Rick the Ruler!

I mean Fresh is beat boxing and everything, that’s like the definition of old school.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Yeah, the subject matter was not always appropriate. 😄 But yeah, Dokken and especially Ratt, were great bands. Players like Warren DeMartini and George Lynch were top level. And I love Don Dokken's voice, no matter what Lynch says. Lol.

Oh yeah, I agree with you. The last time I saw Don Dokken he did an acoustic set and opened for Queensryche with Geoff Tate. But Don can't sing those high notes anymore. But I did like most of the Dokken songs. 

Well, bands like Dokken and Poison and Ratt are still around and touring, just not this year, but they have held up nicely. It's great to go to a concert with any of these bands playing and people loving it. It was a cool era for music.

8 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Oh yeah, I agree with you. The last time I saw Don Dokken he did an acoustic set and opened for Queensryche with Geoff Tate. But Don can't sing those high notes anymore. But I did like most of the Dokken songs. 

Well, bands like Dokken and Poison and Ratt are still around and touring, just not this year, but they have held up nicely. It's great to go to a concert with any of these bands playing and people loving it. It was a cool era for music.

Oh man, I love Queensryche. Geoff is one of my favorite singers but he had a falling out with the other members a few years back. 

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Most '80s thing I certainly know,

I don’t know why I remember that song so well, I was 1 when it came out, I guess it must’ve been heavily spun in the years that follow.  I’m having some sort of TV-AM flashback.

On 8/17/2020 at 3:42 PM, lame ass security said:

Oh man, I love Queensryche. Geoff is one of my favorite singers but he had a falling out with the other members a few years back. 

Yeah, saw Queensryche many times. One of the last concerts I saw in Nassau coliseum with my mom and uncle. Queensryche performed all of Operation Mindcrime and most of Empire.

What an amazing concert! Have seen them many times in Dallas too. With the original members and Geoff's new band. Was supposed to see him this spring, but the virus hit. Geoff's supposed to come back in December, but i don't want to take the chance because I still don't think it'll be safe to see concerts in small or large venues by then.

Not even sure about 2021, but we'll see. I still have my tickets for Motley Crue and company and KISS. I do hope GNR gets a new Dallas date. I have to see them again.

• Like 1
On 8/18/2020 at 4:00 AM, DieselDaisy said:

Most '80s thing I certainly know,

I was listening to a Casey Kasem countdown via a streaming service the other day. That song was number one in the US for whatever week they were playing. I remember it from when I was a kid, but was very surprised it actually topped the charts. 

21 hours ago, marlingrl03 said:

80's music is my jam!!! :heart:

Love me some Depeche Mode, New Order, Psychedelic Furs...the New Wave type music. Also the Cars, Tears for Fears, etc. 

Yeah, I liked the new stuff from the 80's too. I think that decade was way cool for music. Times were so simple then. lol

• Like 1

As far as mainstream rock and pop goes, IMHO the 80's really were the dark ages for music. The whole 80's underground music scene was refreshing. Punk went back under the radar but still continued to evolve in a lot of different directions. But what doesn't get a lot of love, at least here, is industrial music. It is something that never went mainstream with the exception of Nine Inch Nails. I loved all of the Wax Trax stuff like early Ministry, My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, Front 242, KMFDM, etc. I don't know if this might of interest to you @action but here is a great jump off point for industrial music. This album from 1987 (Skinny Puppy - Cleanse, Fold, And Manipulate) was my introduction and it sounds evil as fuck. Something that any shitty 80's try hard metal band tried to pose to be but couldn't pull it off without it being full of cringe.

EDIT: if that doesn't float your boat, as far as industrial goes, check this out. Back when Ministry was more synth pop than full on industrial.

Edited by Jabberwocky
On 8/23/2020 at 8:10 PM, RussTCB said:

I was listening to a Casey Kasem countdown via a streaming service the other day. That song was number one in the US for whatever week they were playing. I remember it from when I was a kid, but was very surprised it actually topped the charts. 

Good ole Casey, I was just thinking about his show the other day. Wonder what he said about Guns when SCOM was topping the charts. It did go to number one I think?

Edited by lame ass security