Jump to content

Concerts in Italy (Imola)


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I’m thinking of flying to Imola next year for Pearl Jam. Can an American get around without speaking the language? Where would you fly into? How much are rental cars etc? Any help or information would be appreciated.

Yes, you can manage without speaking Italian. Older folks may not speak much English but young people will be happy to talk to you in English. Oh, the memories.

Depends on the tickets available, of course, but there is an international airport in Florence which is not too far away (2 hours drive). More likely you will fly to Milan or Rome, I suppose. You can always take a domestic flights from there and maybe even get closer to Imola (is there an airport in Bologna?)

Can't help you with rental car costs, but check with Hertz or Avis.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/15/2020 at 12:26 AM, ZoSoRose said:

I went to Rome/Naples/Amalfi in Feb. Different areas but had no issue speaking english. My gf did a good job learning basic Italian which was appreciated, though. Don't rent a car. Public transportation is easy in Italy

Zoso, how much were both of your plane tickets? Did you Airbnb at all? And how long did it take you see all that? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Zoso, how much were both of your plane tickets? Did you Airbnb at all? And how long did it take you see all that? 

We got a killer deal. Believe it or not, I purchased the package through Groupon (it was through Gate1Travel). The base price was only $760/person but after changing the initial flight out from NYC to Detroit and adding trip insurance, we were probably at about $1100/person including 2 hotels, all the flights, and a rental car. I canceled the rental car before we got there because we didn't want a headache of having to deal with it. The hotels were quite nice and both included breakfast every day. 

The trip was 8 nights so we had to pack a LOT in the time we were there. We weren't part of a group so we made our own itinerary up. We tried to see 1-2 major things a day,

Day 1- Flights (this sucked, when I bought the trip it was only 2 flights. It got changed to like 3 flights before we went and then we had 3 train rides)

Day 2- The 3 trains from Rome to a village called Vico Equense where we stayed, explore Vico at night

Day 3- Sorrento, did a cooking class there and then spent the rest of the day and night in town

Day 4- Pompeii and Naples, explored the ruins then went and saw a castle and opera in Naples 

Day 5- Positano and Sorrento again

Day 6- Go to Rome and check into hotel, explored some churches and saw some Gregorian chanting, saw the Trevi fountain, Pantheon (didn't get to go inside), and Spanish Steps at night

Day 7- Vatican, Colosseum, and Forum

Day 8- Fly home, except.... gf got sick so we had to stay an extra night in Germany at the airport so she could go to a clinic and the sleep (we just got antibody tested so we know it wasn't 'rona, it was probably Norovirus or something similar). 

Day 9- Okay, now we go home

All in all it was an absolute blast, but we could have seen all of that over 10- 11 days and it still would have been a lot. It would have been nice to have a few extra days to slow down and relax a bit and see some things we didn't get to like some other museums and then the town of Amalfi itself, Ravello, and most of all another day in Rome would have been great. Either way for 8 days, we were pretty freaking tired by the end!

Now we didn't go to the North where Imola is but there was a similar trip at the time where instead of Rome+Amalfi it was Rome+Florence and Venice. You could most likely travel the same way we did, just in the opposite direction. They have high speed trains and stuff and public transportation in the cities is very easy to use once you get the hang of it. In my opinion, it is not worth the hassle having to deal with driving in a foreign country and then worrying about parking and all that. You would probably be okay with one, I was most worried about driving in Amalfi, but seeing how crazy drivers were in Naples and Rome, I say just take the trains and buses. 

I have no idea what prices will be like once the pandemic subsides. I would imagine there might be an initial increase as everyone will want to travel, but then I hope it subsides a bit. At any rate, as soon as this is behind us, I recommend you go! Even with a shorter trip like ours you can see a ton if you are adventurous. I can't wait to see more of the country, it was incredible 

Edited by ZoSoRose
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

We got a killer deal. Believe it or not, I purchased the package through Groupon (it was through Gate1Travel). The base price was only $760/person but after changing the initial flight out from NYC to Detroit and adding trip insurance, we were probably at about $1100/person including 2 hotels, all the flights, and a rental car. I canceled the rental car before we got there because we didn't want a headache of having to deal with it. The hotels were quite nice and both included breakfast every day. 

The trip was 8 nights so we had to pack a LOT in the time we were there. We weren't part of a group so we made our own itinerary up. We tried to see 1-2 major things a day,

Day 1- Flights (this sucked, when I bought the trip it was only 2 flights. It got changed to like 3 flights before we went and then we had 3 train rides)

Day 2- The 3 trains from Rome to a village called Vico Equense where we stayed, explore Vico at night

Day 3- Sorrento, did a cooking class there and then spent the rest of the day and night in town

Day 4- Pompeii and Naples, explored the ruins then went and saw a castle and opera in Naples 

Day 5- Positano and Sorrento again

Day 6- Go to Rome and check into hotel, explored some churches and saw some Gregorian chanting, saw the Trevi fountain, Pantheon (didn't get to go inside), and Spanish Steps at night

Day 7- Vatican, Colosseum, and Forum

Day 8- Fly home, except.... gf got sick so we had to stay an extra night in Germany at the airport so she could go to a clinic and the sleep (we just got antibody tested so we know it wasn't 'rona, it was probably Norovirus or something similar). 

Day 9- Okay, now we go home

All in all it was an absolute blast, but we could have seen all of that over 10- 11 days and it still would have been a lot. It would have been nice to have a few extra days to slow down and relax a bit and see some things we didn't get to like some other museums and then the town of Amalfi itself, Ravello, and most of all another day in Rome would have been great. Either way for 8 days, we were pretty freaking tired by the end!

Now we didn't go to the North where Imola is but there was a similar trip at the time where instead of Rome+Amalfi it was Rome+Florence and Venice. You could most likely travel the same way we did, just in the opposite direction. They have high speed trains and stuff and public transportation in the cities is very easy to use once you get the hang of it. In my opinion, it is not worth the hassle having to deal with driving in a foreign country and then worrying about parking and all that. You would probably be okay with one, I was most worried about driving in Amalfi, but seeing how crazy drivers were in Naples and Rome, I say just take the trains and buses. 

I have no idea what prices will be like once the pandemic subsides. I would imagine there might be an initial increase as everyone will want to travel, but then I hope it subsides a bit. At any rate, as soon as this is behind us, I recommend you go! Even with a shorter trip like ours you can see a ton if you are adventurous. I can't wait to see more of the country, it was incredible 

Thank you very much for taking the time to compose this message. It was beyond helpful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Thank you very much for taking the time to compose this message. It was beyond helpful.

No problem! I am no expert but can answer based on my experience. I had a lot of the same questions prior to going.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

No problem! I am no expert but can answer based on my experience. I had a lot of the same questions prior to going.

So, the trains are easy to use without becoming confused? Is Italy a fairly small country? I know I can google this stuff, but I’d appreciate your answers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been to Italy 30+ times and you should be fine not speaking Italian.  Just speak slow enough and most people in the travel/transportation/hospitality industry will understand you.  You might receive answers in somewhat "broken English" but it should be clear enough to understand.  :thumbsup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

So, the trains are easy to use without becoming confused? Is Italy a fairly small country? I know I can google this stuff, but I’d appreciate your answers.

Yes, the train system there is fantastic.   You can get to every major city in the mainland of Italy by train...most run several times per day.  A good tip is that if one of your destinations is over 5 hours or so; is to take an overnight train and you can sleep on it...and save yourself $ by not needing to stay in a hotel that night.

There are also a myriad of buses at each major train station that will take you to some of the smaller towns, etc.

Italy is bigger than most people think...it's close to the size of California.  It would take you about 12+ hours from the southern most point of the main land to to get to the northern most point.  But Rome is in the Center; so from Rome, at most, it's 3-7 hours to pretty much anywhere in mainland Italy. 

You can pre-plan your trip on various websites, etc etc. 

 

Just beware of people at the stations acting like tourist guides.  Only speak to the people at official ticket booths for questions/advice, etc

 

You can also check out Trip Advisor for additional recommendations, etc. 

Edited by Ace Nova
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Hate to burst anyones bubble but unless we have a vaccine by then I can't see concerts happening.

There probably won’t be.  Italy has been among the most stringent countries in terms of “social distancing and large crowd” regulations.   Unless the virus somehow goes down to “near nothing” levels by then, there likely won’t be any large scale events held in Italy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Hate to burst anyones bubble but unless we have a vaccine by then I can't see concerts happening.

You not bursting any bubbles. Your point is valid. But, Pearl Jam have booked a tour for summer of 2021. So I’m hoping the band ha e some kind of reassurance of playing the gigs. I can see a band like GNR scheduling concert dates and just rolling the dice on if the shows occur, but Pearl Jam have a lot of integrity. So, it’s my hope they are playing the shows. And the EU has a travel ban on the US.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It is not possible to give any reassurances. We simply don't know what the situation will be in the summer of 2021. 

Correct, but optimism is not a bad thing. With how well vaccine research is going, it is nice to imagine life returning to normal. Social distancing and mask wearing is vital, but our return to normalcy lies with scientists 

Will we be able to travel internationally and see large concerts next year? If a vaccine is being distributed by January in a best case scenario, it may be possible.

That might not happen, though, we will see!

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...