Think GNR will do a drive-in concert like Metallica is doing?

Was at a drive-in last night and saw an ad for a Metallica concert in a few weeks. They are charging $115 per car. I can’t imagine that going too well. But I was curious your thoughts if GNR will do something similar, as well as your general thoughts on the whole drive-in concert set-up. I’d pay for GNR, maybe not $115, but I think it could be cool. Better than nothing. Also, I’m sure they could edit the show and make it really great! Would be cool if they did a pro-shot dvd with all the best performances of NITL and put it out there. 

• Like 1

Look, music is my life, but I'd never go to a drive-in concert or even that thing where people sit down being surrounded by some railings. I mean, this kind of hunger for live shows? That's not a concert, that's a circus. It's like drinking water instead of beer. I mean, sure, you won't be thirsty afterwards, but it's not the same thing, is it? Jeez, just wait it out, there will be proper fucking gigs again sooner or later. This is ridiculous. I need people around, jumping up and down, and feeling the energy, which is an essential part of the whole thing... 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mikeman5150 said:

Was at a drive-in last night and saw an ad for a Metallica concert in a few weeks. They are charging $115 per car. I can’t imagine that going too well. But I was curious your thoughts if GNR will do something similar, as well as your general thoughts on the whole drive-in concert set-up. I’d pay for GNR, maybe not $115, but I think it could be cool. Better than nothing. Also, I’m sure they could edit the show and make it really great! Would be cool if they did a pro-shot dvd with all the best performances of NITL and put it out there. 

I read about this in my local paper the other day.

My understanding is that it's $115 per car, with up to 6 occupants. But regardless of whether it's one person, three, or six, it's still $115.

So clearly you're better served going with some friends. That's $19.17 per person for 6.

However, from what I read, the show won't be live streamed and will be filmed beforehand. And will then be shown at drive-in theaters and fairgrounds all across the country on August 29th.

From another article I just read:

The concert will be taped at a secret location this week. The band said fans will not be disappointed.

"They are filming something that is unique to this experience," Kinzie said. "It's a way their fans have never seen them before."

Seems kinda cool, but, at the same time, I don't get why they wouldn't just make this available via Pay-Per-View online and/or via your TV provider. Seems like you could reach a whole lot more people that way. And even include that option in addition to the outdoor drive-in experience.

Perhaps they just want to help out these local drive-ins by making it exclusive??

Anyway, if it is successful, then I could certainly see GN'R doing it. They won't even have to travel anywhere!

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

Nah I reckon it’s a dumb idea, and I’d only pay $115 if Axl came out and washed my car while it was on. 

😂

Although - I’m sure you get 4 download copies of S&M2 as well. If there are a few of you then yeah, it could be good as too pricey otherwise. At least it’s something I guess.

• Like 2

Zero chance they will do this. If less than zero was possible, it would be that. 

You might as well ask if they plan to go into space and do a concert on Mars. The coronavirus has just seen a total shut-down on their operations, so there's no reason to think they'll change now. 

• Like 3

i dropped on it. better than buying a ticket to sit on the couch, possibly alone. I dropped on the garth drive-in a couple months ago just to see what kind of experience it would be. it was a near concert experience. people were there safely separated for the most part. fans were cheering and partying like a real concert.  it sort of reminded me of what it might of been like back in the day when fans would go to the movie theater or drive-in to see led zeppelins song remains the same.  it may not be for everyone but what else is there to do and if guns did do a drive by it would likely be double and i'd expect the whole band & crew to wax my vehicle and serve us refreshments.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

If Metallica is charging $100 then Fernando will charge $200

$200? Please. Fernando would charge like $500. Per person in the car. Extra $75 to roll your windows down. And a one hour setlist comprised of Jungle, SCOM, NR, and KOHD. Maybe The Seeker for an encore.

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, HOOSIER GUNZ said:

i dropped on it. better than buying a ticket to sit on the couch, possibly alone. I dropped on the garth drive-in a couple months ago just to see what kind of experience it would be. it was a near concert experience. people were there safely separated for the most part. fans were cheering and partying like a real concert.  it sort of reminded me of what it might of been like back in the day when fans would go to the movie theater or drive-in to see led zeppelins song remains the same.  it may not be for everyone but what else is there to do and if guns did do a drive by it would likely be double and i'd expect the whole band & crew to wax my vehicle and serve us refreshments.

I'd take the couch alone option, personally. 

6 hours ago, jamillos said:

Look, music is my life, but I'd never go to a drive-in concert or even that thing where people sit down being surrounded by some railings. I mean, this kind of hunger for live shows

I quite like the railing model for concerts. 

Would certainly go to that if there were any near me.

• Like 1

For people who've experienced disability and attended shows this is a rather familiar set up. Especially at out door festivals where theres a disability platform off to one side for people who would benefit from a flat surface and some space. And its always kinda fun to be 'contained' with a small group with in the larger group - you become a team or whatever. How we sound as a section when we cheer is often different from the rest. We strike up inside jokes, etc.

I imagine it could be similar with the drive in set up. The one car thats honking a novelty horn for applause, the other with smoke billowing out the windows, the other with the band merch on it. All these little groupings bringing an identity and flavour to it. 

• Like 2