Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Bought it in 95 I think on cassette tape when it first came out. Was expected to be the catalyst to get them moving again and their were countless snippets already in magazines about them starting to work on a new album. Was a pretty underwhelming and meh track I thought from the off. Certainly a low point of their recording careers bar a few UYI and TSI turkeys... 

Edited by jimmythegent
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fixed that 

Have a read of SoulMonster's and Black Star's excellent history of the band...there is a LOT of stuff I assure you.  Oh and the music, I havent listened to lies, spaghetti and some tracks like 'aint i

It's amazing the amount of material this new "Axle" fan seems to still be hearing for the first time.

12 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

I apologise iff this has already been discussed...ignore me if it  has;)

I have just listened to Sympathy for the Devil and feel excited about it, I love it!  It is just so great to hear Axle's voice from way back when (1996 I think) singing something 'new' (it is for me) and wow what a voice with such energy and then the electricity of Slash's guitar playing.  It must have been amazing to have been around back then and seeing them in concert.  

Did you hear this single in 1990s and if so did you like it?  Also did you know Guns was splitting up at the time or were you expecting to see them again?

 

 

 

I did like axls voice and thought this was the vehicle for working on a new album, so was extremely hopeful for new music. Little did we know....

The backup vocals during the "ohh oh" sound cringy, and think maybe they should have done something different. Maybe tracey and roberta....

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

So was Estranged.

I don't think Estranged charted though in UK or US, so isn't a "hit" in the context of a greatest hits album. And I imagine the length also dissuaded it's inclusion even if it did qualify.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

Yep its true...hey no need to get cross with me...I am taking my time amongst the other other stuff I do in my life.

To Russ...no I am not a Troll we obviously just disagree on some things, thats all. 

Oh, I'm not cross.....just baffled! 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

I don't think Estranged charted though in UK or US, so isn't a "hit" in the context of a greatest hits album. And I imagine the length also dissuaded it's inclusion even if it did qualify.

You can certainly argue whether it can be classed as a hit but it's an abomination that the band's Magnum Opus isn't included, yet 'Ain't It Fun' and 'Sympathy' are. Although both were singles, or 'hits', they add very little to GN'R's legacy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

You can certainly argue whether it can be classed as a hit but it's an abomination that the band's Magnum Opus isn't included, yet 'Ain't It Fun' and 'Sympathy' are. Although both were singles, or 'hits', they add very little to GN'R's legacy.

Agree with this.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bucketfoot said:

You can certainly argue whether it can be classed as a hit but it's an abomination that the band's Magnum Opus isn't included, yet 'Ain't It Fun' and 'Sympathy' are. Although both were singles, or 'hits', they add very little to GN'R's legacy.

 

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

Sympathy and Ain't it fun were certainly not hits in any way. Estranged was all over MTV. And it's not another cover version.

 

1 hour ago, ToonGuns said:

Agree with this.

Bingo - I’ve said this before....no GNR collection/compilation should ever, EVER, be without Estranged.

Whats defined as a hit anyways - there is no absolute criteria so the fact that Estranged was a single and hot airplay......get it included!!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, jackparker123 said:

It's very weird that Estranged wasn't a single in the US or UK. Especially considering they made the outrageously expensive video for it.

For some reason it was only released in Europe and Australia / NZ.

It's a lengthy, complex song. Probably more so than November Rain, but I like both.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19.8.2020 at 10:35 AM, DurhamGirl said:

I didnt realise Paul Tobias played on it...that must have been difficult for Slash.

I don't know if "difficult" is the right word... that situation was probably the coffin nail, the very end, for guns, as they used to be...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ZODIAC said:

I don't know if "difficult" is the right word... that situation was probably the coffin nail, the very end, for guns, as they used to be...

Which I will never understand why ... Personal differences aside Tobias was a perfect pick for to fill Izzy's role ...

Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a post on Reddit a year ago from an account called u/ghostwhoknows 

The gentleman with Axl in this video is Dave Lank, truly Axl's oldest friend. Dave, Paul and Axl all grew up together in Lafayette.
Fun fact - Paul Tobias was present when Slash auditioned for GNR. Paul said that Slash was the guy and Axl agreed. There is so much more to the Paul, Axl, Slash story that you all will never know. So much speculation that the truth would settle once and for all. But truth is also silencing so you all wouldn't have anything to talk about. 

Dave Lank is a genius writer. Paul is extremely talented as well. They teamed up once before. Hopefully they will again sometime in the future.

I’m not Dave. I just know. I have facts


It was the account’s only post! A little... mysterious 🧐

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ant said:

There was a post on Reddit a year ago from an account called u/ghostwhoknows 

The gentleman with Axl in this video is Dave Lank, truly Axl's oldest friend. Dave, Paul and Axl all grew up together in Lafayette.
Fun fact - Paul Tobias was present when Slash auditioned for GNR. Paul said that Slash was the guy and Axl agreed. There is so much more to the Paul, Axl, Slash story that you all will never know. So much speculation that the truth would settle once and for all. But truth is also silencing so you all wouldn't have anything to talk about. 

Dave Lank is a genius writer. Paul is extremely talented as well. They teamed up once before. Hopefully they will again sometime in the future.

I’m not Dave. I just know. I have facts


It was the account’s only post! A little... mysterious 🧐

😁 fernandont's early attempt to communicate with fans... or AXL himself. 😂 Reminds me to  "i know whats goin on, i know the internet!" 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18.8.2020 at 11:39 PM, DurhamGirl said:

Yep its true...hey no need to get cross with me...I am taking my time amongst the other other stuff I do in my life.

To Russ...no I am not a Troll we obviously just disagree on some things, thats all. 

Huh. You are a "new" fan, but joined 8 months ago, with 360 Posts already, but have not managed to listen to 6 albums, which are all just a click away?

As for the question, yes, I bought the single, as it was the first "new" song in what seemed ages (and I don't think I new the Stones Version) at the time. It was alright, I guess. Didn't set my world on fire. And no, I wasn't aware the band was breaking up at the time.

Edited by PatrickS77
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Huh. You are a "new" fan, but joined 8 months ago, with 360 Posts already, but have not managed to listen to 6 albums, which are all just a click away?

 

Not everyone listens to new artists/music the same way. Got into them back in 2016 and listened to Appetite alone for the first three months I'd say and then ventured out from there. Didn't listen to CD for 1/2 years after I'd already considered GNR my favorite artist.

 

Doing the same thing with Marilyn Manson atm actually, really got into them and been listening since March but still haven't listen to at least 4/5 of the albums(although a bit different situation when he actually consistently releases music, and I've read that those albums aren't great).

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19.8.2020 at 9:20 AM, ToonGuns said:

I don't think Estranged charted though in UK or US, so isn't a "hit" in the context of a greatest hits album. And I imagine the length also dissuaded it's inclusion even if it did qualify.

Who cares if it didn't chart in the UK/US? It had a video and it was competing for the top spot on Dial MTV for weeks/months. So yes, it was a hit. But you might have a point with the length of the song. It has the length of 2 regular songs.

Edited by PatrickS77
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, registra said:

Not everyone listens to new artists/music the same way. Got into them back in 2016 and listened to Appetite alone for the first three months I'd say and then ventured out from there. Didn't listen to CD for 1/2 years after I'd already considered GNR my favorite artist.

 

Doing the same thing with Marilyn Manson atm actually, really got into them and been listening since March but still haven't listen to at least 4/5 of the albums(although a bit different situation when he actually consistently releases music, and I've read that those albums aren't great).

Doesn't make much sense, especially in this day and age, when you don't even have to leave the house (or pay) to listen to "new" music, but it's a reality, I guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Who cares if it didn't chart in the UK/US? It had a video and it was competing for the top spot on Dial MTV for weeks/months. So yes, it was a hit. But you might have a point with the length of the song. It has the length of 2 regular songs.

I don't disagree with you. Just trying to surmise reasons as to why it might be excluded. I'm pretty sure there are (or were) rules around greatest hits. If it were a Best Of as opposed to a Greatest Hits I'm sure it would be included. In general (not just Guns) I never buy Greatest Hits as I typically prefer album tracks / non-singles anyway - they give a much better overview about the band in question. Locomotive, Breakdown, Coma, Rocket Queen etc in this case.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Who cares if it didn't chart in the UK/US? It had a video and it was competing for the top spot on Dial MTV for weeks/months. So yes, it was a hit. But you might have a point with the length of the song. It has the length of 2 regular songs.

I don't disagree with you. Just trying to surmise reasons as to why it might be excluded. I'm pretty sure there are (or were) rules around greatest hits. If it were a Best Of as opposed to a Greatest Hits I'm sure it would be included. In general (not just Guns) I never buy Greatest Hits as I typically prefer album tracks / non-singles anyway - they give a much better overview about the band in question. Locomotive, Breakdown, Coma, Rocket Queen etc in this case.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's alright. I don't listen to it much unless it pops up on my playlist or something. I'll easily take Aint it Fun, Since I Don't Have You, probably even Hair of the Dog, over it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

I don't disagree with you. Just trying to surmise reasons as to why it might be excluded. I'm pretty sure there are (or were) rules around greatest hits. If it were a Best Of as opposed to a Greatest Hits I'm sure it would be included. In general (not just Guns) I never buy Greatest Hits as I typically prefer album tracks / non-singles anyway - they give a much better overview about the band in question. Locomotive, Breakdown, Coma, Rocket Queen etc in this case.

Yeah. Greatest Hits albums usually are boring with overplayed songs. The meat of an artist is missing, so to say. Especially, when it's just a single disc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...