Izzy Tone Appreciation

.....and in particular his tone on One In A Million and Double Talkin Jive, which are two of his standout rythm performances also. Any players out there have any idea how he might of achieved it?. It's a weird tone that he only used on these two tracks, it's kinda similar to the Money For Nothing (Dire Straits) tone but kinda more aggressive. I never listened to his solo catalogue extensively because to be honest i find it abit bland but if he uses it on anything could someone point me to any songs, i just love that sound!!.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

He used to use Carvin amps and he's using some kind of Mesa on AFD. Apart from that not much is known about his rig.

yeah i'm pretty clued up about his regular set up, Mark Series Mesa (i own one) and Carvin. It's his tone on those 2 tracks in particular i can hear a big difference. 

Edited by Silverburst80

3 hours ago, action said:

I don't even think that Izzy knows.

I suspect that Slash fiddled with the knobs, as it is no secret he wanted Izzy to have a heavier sound.

Izzy's solo albums are generally much less agressive in tone.

Slash is fiddling with Izzys knobs, Duff is taking away bits of Stevens kit....how they functioned as a band god only knows

• GNFNR 1

14 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

.....and in particular his tone on One In A Million and Double Talkin Jive, which are two of his standout rythm performances also. Any players out there have any idea how he might of achieved it?. It's a weird tone that he only used on these two tracks, it's kinda similar to the Money For Nothing (Dire Straits) tone but kinda more aggressive. I never listened to his solo catalogue extensively because to be honest i find it abit bland but if he uses it on anything could someone point me to any songs, i just love that sound!!.

Yeah those two tracks have a unique tone shared between them. Lots of Mids - I think thats the key. I would think a hollow body on OIAM and a les paul on DTJ? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Izzy's tracks on One In A Million still get me off every time.

Have you heard the song Baby-Rann? Simple but f'n rocking

26 minutes ago, zigzagbigbag said:

Baby Rann is such a killer tune! Nothing but awesome!

Couldn't agree more, Baby-Rann is classic Izzy!

• Like 3

I Wish we could listen to izzy's parts alone, or more predominant in the mix.
I mean : I believe that there are a few fans that have never listened to his "Boogie-Oogie" parts on WTJ and My Michelle. 
It's hard to tell much of his tone ang gear, mostly because during the illusions tour his amp was turned off for the most part of the shows...
I believe he recorded AFD with a White Semi-Acoustic guitar (can't remember the name) but on the shows, he used a Gibson LP Custom with 3 humbuckers (I sincerely think that it's a 'kalamazoo-made' one)
There's a more detailed description of his playing / tone in this topic : 

BTW : Which String Gauge does he uses? 0.11, like Slash? 

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

Using a Wah pedal as a filter (turn it on and leave it half cocked like Jimmy Page would often do) can get you into Money For Nothing territory, as can rolling back the tone knob for the "honey tone" as Clapton called it.

Yeah Slash used the wah trick on UYI for his lead tone, Locomotive and Garden of Eden come to mind.....think on Always On The Run (Kravitz) also for his rythm tone.

Edited by Silverburst80

38 minutes ago, NeonKinight said:

I Wish we could listen to izzy's parts alone, or more predominant in the mix.
I mean : I believe that there are a few fans that have never listened to his "Boogie-Oogie" parts on WTJ and My Michelle. 
It's hard to tell much of his tone ang gear, mostly because during the illusions tour his amp was turned off for the most part of the shows...
I believe he recorded AFD with a White Semi-Acoustic guitar (can't remember the name) but on the shows, he used a Gibson LP Custom with 3 humbuckers (I sincerely think that it's a 'kalamazoo-made' one)
There's a more detailed description of his playing / tone in this topic : 

BTW : Which String Gauge does he uses? 0.11, like Slash? 

The 5.1 mix of AFD has an Izzy channel. Shouldn't be too hard to track down! 

I've got a version of RNDTH and Perfect Crime with him way up in the mix and Slash turned down, which is cool. I tried to send you a link but it said you couldn't receive messages! Don't think I can post it here. 

Edited by Ant

3 hours ago, Ant said:

I've got a version of RNDTH and Perfect Crime with him way up in the mix and Slash turned down, which is cool. I tried to send you a link but it said you couldn't receive messages! Don't think I can post it here. 

Ready! 

7 hours ago, Ant said:

Any chance I can get that too?

It's not crazy different or anything but I think it shows that, if they do the box set, messing with the levels would be worthwhile! All that Izzy flavour front and center. 

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, James Bond said:

Using a Wah pedal as a filter (turn it on and leave it half cocked like Jimmy Page would often do) can get you into Money For Nothing territory, as can rolling back the tone knob for the "honey tone" as Clapton called it.

I might be misremembering things, but I think they also got the tone from turning off the tone of the guitar, and mixing a 2 mics one on the amp, the other facing down to the floor. 

I kinda remember reading that, but it was years ago! interesting ideas though! I love tone talk!! 😄@ZosoRose 

When I listen to Izzys guitar it sounds like he's playing almost completely without pedals, mainly using 1 channel gain around 3 and he's riding his volume to clean it up. He also has a really light touch, and behind the beat approach to rhythm. He was very unique! I love hearing his isolated tracks! Slash and Izzy together were a great combo.