Izzy Tone Appreciation

21 hours ago, Ant said:

The 5.1 mix of AFD has an Izzy channel. Shouldn't be too hard to track down! 

I've got a version of RNDTH and Perfect Crime with him way up in the mix and Slash turned down, which is cool. I tried to send you a link but it said you couldn't receive messages! Don't think I can post it here. 

I'd love to hear this too, if you don't mind.

Would be cool if someone could do something along the lines of "And Justice for Jason" on the UYI albums if they release them the same way they did Appetite. We need justice for Izzy.

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I might be misremembering things, but I think they also got the tone from turning off the tone of the guitar, and mixing a 2 mics one on the amp, the other facing down to the floor. 

I kinda remember reading that, but it was years ago! interesting ideas though! I love tone talk!! 😄@ZosoRose 

That's interesting, wonder how they came up with one mic facing the floor.

2 hours ago, lame ass security said:

That's interesting, wonder how they came up with one mic facing the floor.

I think they were trying to create a really wooly sound (achieved) and figured a mic of the amp would give buggar all highs. Don't quote me on this though😄 think it was from an old total guitar magazine that I've long since misplaced! 

While were off topic of Izzy - Bob Rock likes 2 mics on the front, and one in the back! and then possibly a condenser 2-3 metres from the amp to pick up the room! those older producers were just always looking for tonal heaven! Nowadays👨🏻‍🦳it's all kemper Axe fx profiles.

As for Izzy, didn't Slash say something about Izzy recording his guitars on a cassette and Izzy wanting to just fly over the recordings to digital? if it's true I wouldn't think Izzy was much of a stickler for gear and finding 'The tone', i'd guess it was more like 'get an idea, turn on amp, turn on recorder and play... then ride dirt bikes'. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

those older producers were just always looking for tonal heaven! Nowadays👨🏻‍🦳it's all kemper Axe fx profiles.

Ah it’s great dude! I gets me like 95% of the way there, and it’s so convenient. Nobody can tell! I don’t have to lug shit around, you know?

Rock is about ease of use, frictionlessness and ergonomics. Always has been. That’s why it’s never been more popular than right now. 

Edited by Ant

To me Izzy's sound on OIAM sounds like small tweed Fender practice amp cranked. Possibly 8-inch or max 10-inch speaker. I would guess 50s or early 60s tweed vibrolux or champ. You can get pretty similar sound with Fender Champion 600 with volume maxed out. DTJ I would say bigger tweed amp cranked, deluxe or twin. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, effectfreak said:

To me Izzy's sound on OIAM sounds like small tweed Fender practice amp cranked. Possibly 8-inch or max 10-inch speaker. I would guess 50s or early 60s tweed vibrolux or champ. You can get pretty similar sound with Fender Champion 600 with volume maxed out. DTJ I would say bigger tweed amp cranked, deluxe or twin. 

Yeah you're probably onto something i think it's delving into that vintage territory.....speaking of Fenders man i'd love to crank a Deluxe Reverb at some point in my life

7 hours ago, Ant said:

Ah it’s great dude! I gets me like 95% of the way there, and it’s so convenient. Nobody can tell! I don’t have to lug shit around, you know?

Rock is about ease of use, frictionlessness and ergonomics. Always has been. That’s why it’s never been more popular than right now. 

Ha! I have both! I am no snob when it comes to tech! When I start gigging after covid, my amp will be staying at home!

On 8/21/2020 at 3:13 AM, effectfreak said:

+1 (or 11?) on this.

The OIAM tone is probably more about the guitar than amp/pedal chain. I can totally picture it being an ES-175 with the volume/tone knobs rolled back to control the drive. It just has that great, touch-sensitive humbucker grind you can only get with a dimed amp.

Shame you could never hear it live (post AFD tour anyway). He always seemed to be buried underneath everything else in terms of the overall mix. Interesting for the wide variety of guitar types he played in his GNR days that his tone remained consistent too whether he was using humbuckers, singlecoils, hollowbody etc.

Edited by blackrose87