Yesterday

DurhamGirl

Just watching the vid for GnR's Yeserdays, it seems rather melancholoy with photos of the group ffrom the past including Izzy and then the words 'yesterdays got nothing for me...'  What do you think the meaning is and how long before they split up was this made?

1 hour ago, DurhamGirl said:

Just watching the vid for GnR's Yeserdays, it seems rather melancholoy with photos of the group ffrom the past including Izzy and then the words 'yesterdays got nothing for me...'  What do you think the meaning is and how long before they split up was this made?

It was released in October of 1992 so the UYI tour was still going. I really like the song and it’s still one of my favourites of the so called deep cuts. It’s definitely got a reflective feel to it and to me that line is about not living in the past. I particularly like the lyric “Some things could be better ,If we'd all just let them be” because I was and still am someone who dwells(not as much thankfully) on things that happen when I can’t change what happened and replay it in my head. That line to me is saying that things can move on if you let them. 

I didn’t mean to go on but it’s one song I’ve always liked.

• Like 1

I still say GNR has no deep cuts. Especially, songs released as singles and which had massive airplay can be no deep cuts by definition, at least this goes for my definition. Yesterdays is just a less popular single compared to GNRs major hits. But by no means its a deep cut. 

If GNR has any deep cuts at all, it might be unreleased stuff from Bootlegs or maybeeeee (!) a song like Shotgun blues or Bad Apples which neither has been released as a single nor played live on stage a million times. 

Anyway, I still have a soft spot for Yesterdays because it hasn’t played to death but you still here it from time to time on rock stations etc. I wouldn’t call it a filler track but it’s nothing you show someone to introduce him to GNR. 

Edited by zigzagbigbag
  • Like 2

You know how Sorum takes heat for playing the "Pat Boone, Debbie Boon" drum fill all over the trilogy songs? And he said Axl made him do it to tie the trilogy together? Then... why is it also in Yesterdays? lol

Edited by soon

16 hours ago, soon said:

You know how Sorum takes heat for playing the "Pat Boone, Debbie Boon" drum fill all over the trilogy songs? And he said Axl made him do it to tie the trilogy together? Then... why is it also in Yesterdays? lol

It's all over UYI, actually. I still like him though. 

• Like 1

I aleays liked this song. Mature lyrics. GnR AFD was 100% different from UYIs. Growth in age, musical skills, writing, and more.

i always said, if , if they could have come back, clean n sober and older,  say about 1998-2001, what and how it could have been some really good , mature music. I mean them- Axl, Slash, Duff, Matt, Steven, and Izzy.

V R was really good rock n roll. Good songs. Good videos. That could have been S, D , and M  harder rock band outlet.

Guns n Roses on Tour with opener, Velvet Revolver way back when.

Ok. Enough silly wishful thinking of the past and back to my real life. I emptied the grill, pit and now need to put the trash out.

Edited by Amaya