Jump to content

Does a unopened Chinese Democracy on vinyl from at least 2010 have any value?


Recommended Posts

I was in Barnes and Noble and I got a Chinese Democracy on Vinyl  in their 1/2 price bin, I kind of want to open it but I also figure it might be kind of rare as Vinyl's weren't as big of a deal 10 years ago and a unopened one might be rarer, think I am better off leaving it unopened? 

Also anyway to know what kind of pressing it was without opening it? I know CD came out in 2008 and this says it is from 2010 so it is doubtful it is a first pressing

118307947_2746788642199681_8953933443746

Edited by k12
  • Wow 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What does it say on the back cover, in the fine print? I don't think any copies were actually pressed in 2010, the date on the sticker could be when that batch of records was sent to retailers or something.

If it's a US pressing (has a FBI anti-piracy logo below the tracklisting) it's worth maybe $25, if it's a European pressing then maybe a little more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

What does it say on the back cover, in the fine print? I don't think any copies were actually pressed in 2010, the date on the sticker could be when that batch of records was sent to retailers or something.

If it's a US pressing (has a FBI anti-piracy logo below the tracklisting) it's worth maybe $25, if it's a European pressing then maybe a little more.

it does have the FBI piracy thing

Link to post
Share on other sites

You have got a US copy which unfortunately will have some sound issues. You can get sealed copies like yours for approximately 20-25$ easily. 

Sealed EU copies, on the other hand, are about 50-100$ at the moment. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

What does it say on the back cover, in the fine print? I don't think any copies were actually pressed in 2010, the date on the sticker could be when that batch of records was sent to retailers or something.

If it's a US pressing (has a FBI anti-piracy logo below the tracklisting) it's worth maybe $25, if it's a European pressing then maybe a little more.

Isn't the FBI thing on all pressings? Discogs has the Europe release listed as 0602517906136 which is the version I have, but mine also has the FBI warning on it. I've kept mine unopened, but now worried I have the "warped" crap pressing!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ToonGuns said:

Isn't the FBI thing on all pressings? Discogs has the Europe release listed as 0602517906136 which is the version I have, but mine also has the FBI warning on it. I've kept mine unopened, but now worried I have the "warped" crap pressing!!!

 

According to discogs,

US:

R-1593870-1543173109-6142.jpeg.jpg

 

Europe:

R-1913716-1498494231-4884.jpeg.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

 

According to discogs,

US:

R-1593870-1543173109-6142.jpeg.jpg

 

Europe:

R-1913716-1498494231-4884.jpeg.jpg

Looks like I have a US pressing then, hilarious. Had it years. The barcode made me think it was an EU pressing, and the FBI thing was on there as a gimmick or carried over from the US artwork, with just the barcode changed.

Cheers btw 

Edited by ToonGuns
Cheers btw
  • GNFNR 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a vinyl at Best Buy on release day. Didn't open it, probably never will.

Come to think of it, I haven't listened to Chinese Democracy from start to finish in probably seven or eight years now. There's a lot of material that doesn't hold up, in my opinion, along with the whole "this isn't really Guns N' Roses" thing.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

I bought a vinyl at Best Buy on release day. Didn't open it, probably never will.

Come to think of it, I haven't listened to Chinese Democracy from start to finish in probably seven or eight years now. There's a lot of material that doesn't hold up, in my opinion, along with the whole "this isn't really Guns N' Roses" thing.

I'm happy that album's never made any money off me

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Opened my USA vinyl this past weekend. Bought it from a cool second hand store in Brussels a few years back. €22. Always figured it was the EU version but, as discovered thanks to @Gordon Comstockabove, it isn't. Anyway- artwork underwhelming, sound quality (last song each side) shite.

It’s such a botch-job....just like he overall release. I honestly can’t believe how defected the last songs are....the facts it’s out of print as well is a joke. Repress it with choice of covers (Bike, Red Hand or Grenade) and take my money. Easy money.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

It’s such a botch-job....just like he overall release. I honestly can’t believe how defected the last songs are....the facts it’s out of print as well is a joke. Repress it with choice of covers (Bike, Red Hand or Grenade) and take my money. Easy money.

Throw in Atlas as a vinyl-only bonus.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...