Has Slash lost it?

DurhamGirl

What a topic...I tend to recieve bad reactions to my opinion about Slash actual playing.

I wanna make clear Slash has always been my favorite guitar player. I know he cant play like Bucket or Malmsteen or Gilbert or Satriani...but his melodies and note choices made him number 1 for me.

That said...its been quite a long time since I lost the appeal for his live playing. His UYI tour days were the best of the best for me. Just compare his version of DTJ or Godfather from those days or even KOHD and try comparing them to whatever he plays nowadays.

This I love was HORRENDOUS, Yesterdays was HORRENDOUS, Dead Horse was HORRENDOUS, DTJ doesnt seem to follow a melody, KOHD just fast licks...

They seem different guys. He lost the domination of melody trying to prove he can play fast (normal fast for any pro guitar player). 

On his records he seems to keep his melodies so I usually like his recorded solos.

On his collaborations, he seems to fail the same way he does live (in my opinion). It seems like he just plays whatever comes to his mind and doesnt give a fuck.

• Like 3

He has an error in his technique. Because his guitar is slung so low, when he plays solos be needs to prop up the guitar. He uses the palm of his left hand to do so :facepalm: which slows him down especially when changing positions on the neck. Now that he’s often trying to play faster, this flaw is more noticeable.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, soon said:

He has an error in his technique. Because his guitar is slung so low, when he plays solos be needs to prop up the guitar. He uses the palm of his left hand to do so :facepalm: which slows him down especially when changing positions on the neck. Now that he’s often trying to play faster, this flaw is more noticeable.

There are two guitarist poses. On or under the cock,

hqdefault.jpg

4310864264_452bee8959_c.jpg

And above the cock,

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1Db-iMlJpUgW6ncke5h2

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

There are two guitarist poses. On or under the cock,

hqdefault.jpg

4310864264_452bee8959_c.jpg

And above the cock,

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1Db-iMlJpUgW6ncke5h2

HAHA! I like high and tight, like Morello. More control and speed, whilst demonstrating that one is cocksure. On the cock seems almost like what Axl does with the shirt around his waist, obscuring the cock. lol

In Slashs case its why we'll not hear him playing fluidly when playing one line over multiple positions, that would require him to not be supporting the guitar with the palm of his playing hand. You can even see him making this odd 'shimmy' with his wrist while he moves up or down. Its a broad enough movement that I bet it effects his note selection.

3 minutes ago, soon said:

In Slashs case its why we'll not hear him playing fluidly when playing one line over multiple positions, that would require him to not be supporting the guitar with the palm of his playing hand. You can even see him making this odd 'shimmy' with his wrist while he moves up or down. Its a broad enough movement that I bet it effects his note selection.

Yes, but it looks cool though. Zakk Wylde would agree,

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRR4feBLYLKL6ikPw8cATY

Low slung Les Paul between legs akimbo: über dinosaurian rock godliness. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I don't think he's lost it, but I think he simply doesn't care about some of the songs they play live. (This I Love being the most obvious example)

He's no shredder, and when he tries to play too fast it can come off really sloppy. Improvisation isn't a bad thing but he does get lost sometimes.

I tend to go along with this, the same with Axl.  Gosh is there anybody in the band that genuinly cares about how they sound:blink:

• Haha 1

On 23/08/2020 at 11:04 PM, DurhamGirl said:

I keep coming accross negative posts regarding Slash's playing these days.  I just wondered if this was a majority or minority view?

Has he lost it?. No.

Does he sound uninspired?. Yes

This tour has gone on way to long.

Then again NITL toured for as longer than illusions did, and was there anytime during the illusions tour his playing became subpar?. I think slash has become bored by the whole tour. At least during the illusions tour they would gave a setlist of the "have to do" songs but they would play whatever they felt like. I think slash misses the spontainaiety compared to the old shows.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Nobody can answer that but his playing changed for sure. For my taste, not for the better, especially with Guns.

Not much to like about Guns N' Roses these days, sadly.

That interview that @EricA posted above was very informative. According to Slash his playing has changed (gotten faster) because its his first time using in ears, and with out loud amps feeding back on stage. He said his in ear mix doesnt have reverb or anything. So with the lack of feedback and reverb, he doesnt have the ability to have long sustain and 'wailing' sounds and, in his assessment, he plays faster as a result.

I take that to mean that the Insta-era stage production that was forced on him has contributed to his playing that some of us dont like. This band going soulless and corporate even took away Slashs signature sound. :( 

10 minutes ago, soon said:

That interview that @EricA posted above was very informative. According to Slash his playing has changed (gotten faster) because its his first time using in ears, and with out loud amps feeding back on stage. He said his in ear mix doesnt have reverb or anything. So with the lack of feedback and reverb, he doesnt have the ability to have long sustain and 'wailing' sounds and, in his assessment, he plays faster as a result.

I take that to mean that the Insta-era stage production that was forced on him has contributed to his playing that some of us dont like. This band going soulless and corporate even took away Slashs signature sound. :( 

I think it's a mix of his in-ear monitors and also the other thing he mentioned, playing to huge crowds again. That might have had something to do with it imo. In a different interview he also said that when he was still drinking it did made him stay on one note more, playing slower and maybe that was a part of the charm of his playing for many fans.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Yes and no. It's a Zakk Wylde situation where he's technically better... but his melodic sensibilities are diminished. He doesn't really know when to stop anymore!

I know there are some here who would argue that he's never played a bad note but, I don't think Slash needs to be a shredder, but he seems to be adamant about becoming one.

His live stuff can be really hit or miss! I haven't watched many NITL clips and thought "that motherfucker is killing it" most of the time it's a reaction of 'Good, fine or not so great'. Worst offense on my book is his out of tune bends in heavens door, NV etc. But his shred solos over the chinese music were mostly bad too. 

He still writes a good riff though! And in the right moment he still plays a nice solo.

1 hour ago, soon said:

You mean to say, Slash being able to hear the exact mix he dictates direct to his ears doesn't suit him? 

Playing with in ears is weird for the first few gigs, but you get used to it! He was clearly testing them during the rehearsals like all his other gear so he was well and truly used to them by the time gnr played their first shows of 2016. 

Just now, Tom2112 said:

You mean to say, Slash being able to hear the exact mix he dictates direct to his ears doesn't suit him? 

Playing with in ears is weird for the first few gigs, but you get used to it! He was clearly testing them during the rehearsals like all his other gear so he was well and truly used to them by the time gnr played their first shows of 2016. 

How about read what he said.

• Haha 1