Has Slash lost it?

DurhamGirl

1 minute ago, soon said:

He said he doesn't hear the mix the audience hears, its dry. He said that makes him play faster. And thats what my point is based on. 

He can hear a mix with of almost studio quality sound with crowd noise too, this is all common.

In my in ear mix I sometimes include an ambience mic. I'm confident GNR have place on their mixing console for one.... so, their pro engineer either doesn't know that trick, or Slash prefers a dry mix. And that is my point. He is playing using the mix that he thinks makes him play the best. 

I am well aware that outside of gnr Slash has talked about not liking headphones in the studio etc. And maybe it doesn't suit him? But he really should have no trouble playing with or without them considering how long he's been playing! 

Just now, Tom2112 said:

He can hear a mix with of almost studio quality sound with crowd noise too, this is all common.

In my in ear mix I sometimes include an ambience mic. I'm confident GNR have place on their mixing console for one.... so, their pro engineer either doesn't know that trick, or Slash prefers a dry mix. And that is my point. He is playing using the mix that he thinks makes him play the best. 

I am well aware that outside of gnr Slash has talked about not liking headphones in the studio etc. And maybe it doesn't suit him? But he really should have no trouble playing with or without them considering how long he's been playing! 

He said it made him play faster.

6 minutes ago, soon said:

He said it made him play faster.

How? It just doesn't make sense. Also, he doesn't use them with SMKC and it's crazy, but he also plays fast there too. Excited to hear that explained away.

He plays the way he wants regardless of floor monitors or IEMs let's not go crazy trying to justify his current playing style.

Just now, Tom2112 said:

How? It just doesn't make sense. Also, he doesn't use them with SMKC and it's crazy, but he also plays fast there too. Excited to hear that explained away.

He plays the way he wants regardless of floor monitors or IEMs let's not go crazy trying to justify his current playing style.

Slash said it. How are you so confused by this? :lol:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, soon said:

Slash said it. How are you so confused by this? :lol:

Slash said "my in ear monitors make me play faster?" Do they also tell him to do other things too? 🤣

I've also never heard him say that, but I'll gladly read it if you have a link.

Also your first response to the message I wrote (not to you) said "maybe read what he said" then you say "he said it" in the next comment. kinda assumed you were still talking about what the mygnr poster had said, not Slash...we haven't all read & watched every interview with Slash.

Edited by Tom2112

1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

Slash said "my in ear monitors make me play faster?" Do they also tell him to do other things too? 🤣

I've also never heard him say that, but I'll gladly read it if you have a link.

Also your first response to message I wrote (not to you) said "maybe read what he said" then you say "he said it" in the next comment. kinda assumed you were still talking about what the mygnr poster  had said, not Slash...we haven't all read & watched every interview with Slash.

Huh??

Wow. Slash said it in the link I was referring to. The one you just said you read. :lol:

Okay so have a nice day...

:lol:

17 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Exactly. Morello, while a great guitarist, looks like a dork.

Oi! He's the coolest dork we'll ever see! I mean he's not an alcoholic who calls everyone he knows some version of Catholic title, while asserting that they are part of his pretend motorcycle club, Like Wylde. :P But, despite this, Morello is still kinda cool! :lol:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, soon said:

Huh??

Wow. Slash said it in the link I was referring to. The one you just said you read. :lol:

Okay so have a nice day...

pressed reply so rapidly based on the very specific idea that his in ear mix was the reason he was not that great with guns because it astounded me that anybody would say it - it further astonished me that it actually came from Slash's own mouth. I should have read the remainder of your post though! My bad, even if it doesn't change my opinion.

Yeah I pressed reply so quick that I missed that whole part😄, I just couldn't believe anyone was making the 'IEM made me do it' argument... nevermind that Slash has actually said that in an interview... I should have finished reading your post, but honestly I just think it's a cop out. The player is in control of what the player plays, he can't honestly stand by such a ludicrous notion... each player is different, but I have never once heard an experienced player utter such a load of BS.

Again... I was pointing out that he's just as inconsistent and fast with his solo band (using floor monitors and live cabs on stage), I also pointed out that his in ear mix can have every kind of audio enhancement to make his playing experience feel better. I think that part of my point should be reasonable for you even if you disagree with the rest.

1 hour ago, soon said:

Oi! He's the coolest dork we'll ever see! I mean he's not an alcoholic who calls everyone he knows some version of Catholic title, while asserting that they are part of his pretend motorcycle club, Like Wylde. :P But, despite this, Morello is still kinda cool! :lol:

Never said he's not cool. Just a different kind of cool. And I was actually supposed to see him in a little over 2 weeks. ;) But if I have to chose to watch him or father Zakk, purely based on optics, I'd rather watch father Zakk.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Never said he's not cool. Just a different kind of cool. And I was actually supposed to see him in a little over 2 weeks. ;) But if I have to chose to watch him or father Zakk, purely based on optics, I'd rather watch father Zakk.

Im just goofing around with ya, but yeah, where I live a "dork" is by definition not cool. Sorry you are missing that RATM show! 

I'll stick with comrade Morello. But if he also wore a big old, studded, gay guitar strap like father Zakk it would be even cooler! :lol: j/k

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, soon said:

Im just goofing around with ya, but yeah, where I live a "dork" is by definition not cool. Sorry you are missing that RATM show! 

I'll stick with comrade Morello. But if he also wore a big old, studded, gay guitar strap like father Zakk it would be even cooler! :lol: j/k

Don't worry, got ya. Yeah. I stick with both. ;) Luckily there is room for both. But Zakk would be my protoype of a guitar rock god hero. Visually.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Don't worry, got ya. Yeah. I stick with both. ;) Luckily there is room for both. But Zakk would be my protoype of a guitar rock god hero. Visually.

Im a Zakk fan, for the record! :headbang:And Zakk can shred with a low slung Les Paul! 

• Like 1

On 23/08/2020 at 7:27 PM, EricA said:

How did I not come across this interview before??! Great find! some great questions! many thanks!😃

• Like 1

I do not think he has lost it. Different times. Different man. Different needs.

NITLT and the part two tour, whatever it was called tour,  that was going to be this year is just him playing on the GnR songs and hits he wrote. Throw in some solos because the audience likes that and he is star of the show, really. Go through the motions. Nothing new or hard. 

NITL Tour only made around $550 million. Just that. That’s  all.

He is worth so much money. Selling albums, videos, charting days are long gone over. That business is even over.

For creativity , he has his  really ,own band, MK Conspirators. To tour. To create. To put his time, energy in.

Even with it, streaming sells peanuts to what  his album days were. He can tour it , selling , and his MKConspirators can earn some bit of money.

9 hours ago, soon said:

That interview that @EricA posted above was very informative. 

5 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

How did I not come across this interview before??! Great find! some great questions! many thanks!😃

:) you're welcome.

I'm pretty sure it was posted here back in 2018, otherwise I would not have remembered it, but at this time everybody was focusing on lines like this...

"When you think about it, we’ve been working this entire time, so there’s been no chance to map out what we’ll be doing once this tour is over, or what kind of approach we will take. Now we’ve gotten past all our shit from 20 years ago, we want to keep this thing going and keep it fresh and so on and so forth. Let’s see what happens! Should that wheel start turning, I have some cool riffs ready."

Well, how time flies, and subjects of interest change;)

Edited by EricA
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 9:11 AM, Towelie said:

No.

But Axl has.

Yes

8 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

He hasn't lost it at all, I think he's just uninspired and kind of bored with the GN'R shows. If you listen to the most recent run of SMKC shows, he's still playing lights out. 

I was thinking the same thing. Honestly you can't even compare UYI Slash to now because of the sobriety factor. 

8 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Actually he was using IEM on the LTD tour (the rest of the band has already been on them in previous tours) and midway through the tour they started isolating the mic'd cab offstage so there wasn't a live cabinet on stage (except for the occasional moment of feedback). He's been doing that with GnR also. Yeah he plays faster now but he's a lot more aware of what he's playing and I think that translates to better playing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Exactly. Morello, while a great guitarist, looks like a dork.

Indeed he does:lol:

7 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

I haven’t ranked "my lost 2020 shows" but RATM definitely is under the Top 3 losses, all other Bands i should have seen this year, i've already been to for many times, not so RATM:cry:

...and btw. Zakk doesn't do it neither for me, purely based on optics:lol:

Edited by EricA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, EricA said:

:) you're welcome.

I'm pretty sure it was posted here back in 2018, otherwise I would not have remembered it, but at this time everybody was focusing on lines like this...

"When you think about it, we’ve been working this entire time, so there’s been no chance to map out what we’ll be doing once this tour is over, or what kind of approach we will take. Now we’ve gotten past all our shit from 20 years ago, we want to keep this thing going and keep it fresh and so on and so forth. Let’s see what happens! Should that wheel start turning, I have some cool riffs ready."

Well, how time flies, and subjects of interest change;)

Exactly! who could have known what depths we'd all sink to!

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yes

I was thinking the same thing. Honestly you can't even compare UYI Slash to now because of the sobriety factor. 

Actually he was using IEM on the LTD tour (the rest of the band has already been on them in previous tours) and midway through the tour they started isolating the mic'd cab offstage so there wasn't a live cabinet on stage (except for the occasional moment of feedback). He's been doing that with GnR also. Yeah he plays faster now but he's a lot more aware of what he's playing and I think that translates to better playing.

The iso cab idea seems to be everyones favourite outside of having a live amp on stage. What happened to rock bands that they suddenly became so concerned with the look of the stage that they've foregone walls and walls of Marshalls? 😄 I guess when you get to the bottom of it it's the money! but the sound is probably a whole lot more consistent in the closed boxes than left out on stage. The ACDC stage however is much cooler! and Axl still managed to use his in ears... and he sang more like Axl, maybe he needs the amps on stage too!