Riots/Police/Social Justice Issues

Ace Nova

WARNING:  EXTREMELY GRAPHIC VIDEO:

I think the videos are absolutely nauseating.   I had to get up and walk away from my computer.  Kids getting killed by other kids for absolute nonsense.  😞

Edited by Ace Nova

An update to what started it all...

It may not "justify" the case but it paints a much clearer picture vs "an unarmed black man shot several times in the back".

Had the Governor known the guy was a felony sex offender and he had just broken a restraining order and was about to steal the lady's keys, would he still have written the same initial Tweet?  How about after what happened last night? 

Leaders of state need to choose their words wisely when dealing with exponentially sensitive, divisive issues.  This is no longer a "game".  Kids are getting killed out there.  :( 

Edited by Ace Nova

1 minute ago, Ace Nova said:

An update to what started it all...

It may not "justify" the case but it paints a much clearer picture vs "an unarmed black man shot several times in the back".

Had the Governor known the guy was a felony sex offender and he had just broken a restraining order and was about to steal the lady's vehicle, would he still have written the same initial Tweet?  How about after what happened last night? 

Leaders of state need to choose their words wisely when dealing with exponentially sensitive, divisive issues.  This is no longer a "game".  Kids are getting killed out there.  :( 

Yes, they are getting killed because the police shot an unarmed black man seven times in the back and this horrible murder has further incensed an already very angry public. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes, they are getting killed because the police shot an unarmed black man seven times in the back and this horrible murder has further incensed an already very angry public. 

A very angry public with 400 million guns. What on earth could possibly go wrong? :lol: 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't disagree. 

But as a head of state, should you be making (obviously) divisive tweets?  (Without knowing he was a sex offender and was in the process of breaking a restraining order at a woman's house and stealing her keys?)  Would you tweet something that made it seem that the man was an innocent black man shot in the back?  Or would you choose your words more wisely?

How about knowing the demographics of your state? 

How about realizing that your state isn't some hippie friendly "risk free" territory like Seattle and Portland? 

How about realizing that riots in your state will most likely be responded to by armed militias?

Edited by Ace Nova

Lot to unpack with that specific shooting. It's both, not a good idea to try and defend your business or home with a gun vs an entire mob (just get the hell out of dodge), and it's also not a good idea to charge a man with a gun and attack him. Lot of darwin award winners involved here.

My meta take is that America is a country on a very unsustainable path. I expect these types of riots to be a mainstay of life going forward.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

A very angry public with 400 million guns. What on earth could possibly go wrong? :lol: 

When the riots started a few months ago I saw three different people interviewed on the news and they all said wait till we start coming to the suburbs.  My block will be just fine because of my 2nd amendment.

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't know what you are talking about? What head of state? What tweet? 

The Governor of Wisconsin Tweeted "I don't know all the facts.  But another unarmed black man was shot several times in the back by police".  (or close to it). 

He Tweeted this shortly after it happened and well before any riots or protests began.  And he admitted to "not knowing" the facts.  SMH.

How do you think African Americans responded to that tweet?  They grabbed their riot clothes and started burning down the city.

How did armed militias respond to him admitting to not "not knowing all the facts"?  They likely went running for their guns, ready for war.  SMH.

but, but.... they're peaceful protesters 

"we want peace, with violence if necessary"

I'll repeat: I don't subscribe to those so called "peaceful movements". I don't support them, and I think they should be forbidden and the participants getting a fitting punishment.

maybe, put them in working camps, so they can enjoy the blessings of "working happiness"?

With peace like this, who needs war?

17 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

The Governor of Wisconsin Tweeted "I don't know all the facts.  But another unarmed black man was shot several times in the back by police".  (or close to it). 

He Tweeted this shortly after it happened and well before any riots or protests began.  And he admitted to "not knowing" the facts.  SMH.

How do you think African Americans responded to that tweet?  They grabbed their riot clothes and started burning down the city.

How did armed militias respond to him admitting to not "not knowing all the facts"?  They likely went running for their guns, ready for war.  SMH.

Are you saying the governor should lie about what happened or not comment on it? What exactly would you have liked the governor to do? 

Besides, people aren't rioting because the governor said it like it is, but because the police in USA have once again shot an unarmed black man. 

36 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

When the riots started a few months ago I saw three different people interviewed on the news and they all said wait till we start coming to the suburbs.  My block will be just fine because of my 2nd amendment.

Yeah I'd be careful with that. Don't assume republicans are going to have your back if you shoot a rioter in self defense.

9 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Are you saying the governor should lie about what happened or not comment on it? What exactly would you have liked the governor to do? 

Besides, people aren't rioting because the governor said it like it is, but because the police in USA have once again shot an unarmed black man. 

Again, I don’t disagree.  

We had an ongoing discussion about this in the politics thread.   The point is that a Governor should not “politicize” an event like this without knowing the facts to the case, especially since he knows people will likely riot.   And furthermore, he should have known that armed militias would have also “joined the party”.

What he should have tweeted, imo is something along the lines of “expressing condolences for the families involved and that he did not know all      the facts BUT that it will be investigated immediately and to the fullest extent of the law. “

Not some obviously politicized tweet that will likely do nothing but further outrage the public.  Heads of state should be brining communities together; not throwing even more fuel on a fire that is already burning out of control, imo. 

Just now, Ace Nova said:

Again, I don’t disagree.  

We had an ongoing discussion about this in the politics thread.   The point is that a Governor should not “politicize” an event like this without knowing the facts to the case

How did his tweet politicize the event? Who are the two factions divided by his tweet? Those against the police shooting unarmed black men in the back and those in favor? 

2 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

What he should have tweeted, imo is something along the lines of “expressing condolences for the families involved and that he did not know all      the facts BUT that it will be investigated immediately and to the fullest extent of the law. “

But the video is clear: The police shot the guy repeatedly in the back. It seems you are arguing the Governor should hide this fact to protect the police?

12 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

How did his tweet politicize the event? Who are the two factions divided by his tweet? Those against the police shooting unarmed black men in the back and those in favor? 

But the video is clear: The police shot the guy repeatedly in the back. It seems you are arguing the Governor should hide this fact to protect the police?

Don't bother, the guy is talking about Wisconsin riots like it is armagedon all over America. Sure riots won't fix anything. But it's not the end of the world either 

7 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

When you are a liberal governor, in a volatile election year and make a Tweet without knowing the facts to the case but you immediately blame the police and you further it by making the tweet seem that he was an innocent black man (which he was not).  That is clearly politically driven.  Most level headed, non biased Governors would have tweeted something similar to what I stated earlier.  Governors should be bringing communities together with their words and actions, imo.

8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Huh?

Everyone could see what happened on the video.  How is he supposed to hide it?  And regardless, no, he should never hide what happened from his citizens.  That has nothing to do with my point.  

12 minutes ago, Padme said:

Don't bother, the guy is talking about Wisconsin riots like it is armagedon all over America. Sure riots won't fix anything. But it's not the end of the world either 

You sure about that? :P

I don't like seeing kids getting killed because adults refuse to step up to the plate.  Instead of "working things out" with the "other side" most adults would rather join the chaos.

Edited by Ace Nova

8 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

When you are a liberal governor, in a volatile election year and make a Tweet without knowing the facts to the case but you immediately blame the police and you further it by making the tweet seem that he was an innocent black man (which he was not). 

I don't get this. Surely the Governor had seen the video or heard what has happened? Then he was entirely correct to blame the police. He might not have known all facts, like why the police were trying to arrest the guy, but all of that is irrelevant to the fact that the police shot a black man in the back

The governor's tweet, and I am only going by your paraphrase of it, wasn't political. Condemning the police when they shoot people in the back isn't political. What that tweet divided wasn't Democrats and Republicans, or white and black, or rich and poor, but those who think shooting people in the back is okay and those who don't. And quite frankly, it is entirely okay that a Governor flags that he is on the side of the decent.