Izzy takes a leak on a plane - 31 years ago today.

Whizzy!  I didn't read the article, iirc Izzy was having a bad day. I think he was bitten in the face by his mom's dog before going to the airport. You can't make that shit up.

Edit: I decided to read it, it was his dad's dog.😄

Edited by lame ass security

That wasn't the first time where Izzy relieved himself in public, but it was probably the last. It had happened at least three other times before that: :lol:

"GN’R’s Izzy “Wizzy” Stradlin urinated on the bar [at the Troubadour] in 1985."

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4329-1995-06-16-news-pilot-l-a-s-landmarks-of-rock

Baltimore, October 1987:

Axl: “Izzy—he’s not usually the one to cause any trouble at all, but he got totally annihilated at this place called Hammerjacks—the most fucked place I’ve ever played. First, they got about thirty [uniformed] security guys that look like West Hollywood sheriffs. And Izzy got in arguments with them early in the day about some bullshit they were giving our crew, who were just trying to do their jobs. So Izzy got drunk, and was really hating this club. Then, right before we played, and there are more hassles, and Izzy’s fucking sick of everything, he walked into the club manager’s office and just whipped it out and pissed all over the guy’s desk—with the guy sitting there! It just blew their minds. Then we go on, and Izzy is so drunk we had to turn his guitar down, and when he realized what was going on, he unstrapped the guitar and threw it into the crowd.”

[Hammerjacks] was also the wrong place to be if you’d had too much too drink, as Izzy Stradlin of Guns N’ Roses learned one night in 1988. GNR was only just becoming known among hard-rock fans — this was just before their first hit single, “Sweet Child o’ Mine” — when the group got its first headlining show at Hammerjacks.

As was often the case in those days, the band killed time before the show by getting drunk. [...] Being drunk was only the beginning, though. “We were in the office, because the manager wasn’t in there,” says Slash. “And Izzy peed on the floor.”

Needless to say, this did not go over well with the Hammerjacks management. “Actually, I think the security guys threw him out or something,” says Becker. “Of course, nobody knew what the band was going to become at that point, or they’d probably have invited him to urinate on stage!”

Among the things [Slash] likes about Baltimore is Hammerjacks, where Guns N' Roses played back before becoming famous. “I remember playing there," he says. “Hammerjacks is the gig — I don’t know if you should print this or not — but it was the gig where ..."

Well, let's just say that guitarist Izzy Stradlin embarrassed himself in the manager's office before the band went on.

“Me and Izzy got really messed up," Slash says. “When you're touring around in a bus, you get there in the morning, you have a day room at the hotel, you go to the gig way too early... and you get bored.”

So Izzy and Slash got drunk. “I play well when I’m messed up," Slash says. “Izzy, on the other hand ...” He laughs. “So during the gig. he just sat on his amp. But he had a Marshall stack behind him, so he sat on the tiny lip of the bottom cabinet, and we just sorta covered for him.” But, wouldn't sitting on the amp like that make his guitar feed back?

“Oh, I think he was pretty much turned off at that point,” answers Slash, laughing even harder.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t1188-1987-10-18-hammerjacks-baltimore-md-usa

Cleveland, May 1988:

Q: I hope you didn’t have any problems get­ting back to the hotel... downtown Cleveland can be a jungle of sorts.

Izzy:  (Laughs) Oh Jesus! When I got dropped off at the hotel, a cop caught me pissing inside the car garage. “What do you think you’re doing,’’ he said. I answered, “What does it look like I’m doing,’’ and I continued piss­ing! So he took me into the lobby. To make matters worse, I lost my room key! But I managed to get back in.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4373-1989-12-dd-rock-scene-hangin-with-izzy-stradlin

• Haha 5

In my school Izzy got sort of switched with Slash during the telling of this story, and people said, ''that is how Slash got his name, by having a slash on a plane'' (slash is English slang for urinating). 

I can clearly see now that Izzy will not be involved in the reunion until Axl gets his rain coat back! 

I mean, Axl got his back to those guys for 3 hours and after hearing so many pee pee stories, I can see why he wont feel safe around WIzzy until he finds his glorious poncho

https://images.app.goo.gl/mh17G6xjYnYbwHqq9

Edited by Chester 524
  • Haha 1

I know this was a catalyst for Izzy getting sober and it apparently scared him a bit. It must've seemed like a rather serious situation at the time but it was basically drunken high jinks. Nothing like Keith Richards faced when he was arrested in Toronto on a drug charge in 1977. He was facing years of hard time and had pretty much relegated himself to that.  But by almost divine intervention and status Keith got a slap on the wrist. I think it was more of a culmination for Izzy though.  I remember an interview where he said he was tired of "fucking up, getting into trouble, and being a goof."

Edited by lame ass security
12 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

In my school Izzy got sort of switched with Slash during the telling of this story, and people said, ''that is how Slash got his name, by having a slash on a plane'' (slash is English slang for urinating). 

In my school Guns n Roses were so fuckin' unpopular you'd struggle to find 2 or 3 fans.  Y'know what I think, I think, really and truly, the north of England was like...a rock fan stronghold, a lot moreso than down here.  You got fuckin' laughed at for liking GnR, everyone liked the music of the day at that time in my school, like Hardcore and Jungle and all that.  Whats weird about that is i didn't even go to some really ethnically mixed school, it was like 99% whiteboys.

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

In my school Guns n Roses were so fuckin' unpopular you'd struggle to find 2 or 3 fans.  Y'know what I think, I think, really and truly, the north of England was like...a rock fan stronghold, a lot moreso than down here.  You got fuckin' laughed at for liking GnR, everyone liked the music of the day at that time in my school, like Hardcore and Jungle and all that.  Whats weird about that is i didn't even go to some really ethnically mixed school, it was like 99% whiteboys.

Nah. It was full of people into rave - hardcore rave. Don't forget that we coined the phrase ''belter buzzing'' in my zeitgeist haha.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

GNR had a 'sweetspot' in mine when they were regarding as cool, and because I had all the albums people used to approach me in the corridors with blank-tapes and ask me to copy them for them. Then they became about as uncool as it was possible to be, around 1993/1994. Where they've pretty much remained within the people I know, younger or older. The only thing that seems to have changed is that high street stores have been stuffed with their t-shirts, so you see plenty of people who wouldn't know a GNR song if their life depended on it wearing them to "get the iconic rock look" as they're visiting a succession of hellish cocktail bars.  

Hardcore and Jungle was definitely the cool thing to like throughout. I'd be lying if I said I didn't partake in a bit of that myself! DJ Ratty Fantazia tapes I used to play a lot. Dreadful stuff really!  

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Nah. It was full of people into rave - hardcore rave. Don't forget that we coined the phrase ''belter buzzing'' in my zeitgeist haha.

"station yard posse, let me hear you say yeaaaah" 

"hardcore, you know the score" 

Then they became about as uncool as it was possible to be, around 1993/1994

See I started school in 94 so that explains that, metallers used to get fuckin' bullied in my school :lol:

Hardcore and Jungle was definitely the cool thing to like throughout. I'd be lying if I said I didn't partake in a bit of that myself! DJ Ratty Fantazia tapes I used to play a lot. Dreadful stuff really!  

I don't think its dreadful, even to this day.  I think a lot of that stuff was fantastic.  Its dated obviously but what hasn't?

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I know you want to be younger than you are Len, but attempting a bit of Hollywood date editing?

Secondary school obviously, I weren’t gonna be listening to Guns n Roses when I was 5, was I? :lol:  

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Secondary school obviously, I weren’t gonna be listening to Guns n Roses when I was 5, was I? :lol:  

As we clarified, your school system down south is weird. I assume you mean by that, high school? I discovered Guns when I was 10, middle school. The reason I know so specifically is that it was a consequence of the Paris PPV.

• downzy changed the title to Izzy takes a leak on a plane - 31 years ago today.