Izzy takes a leak on a plane - 31 years ago today.

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

As we clarified, your school system down south is weird. I assume you mean by that, high school? I discovered Guns when I was 10, middle school. The reason I know so specifically is that it was a consequence of the Paris PPV.

I think we discovered em about the same time. 

38 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

See I started school in 94 so that explains that, metallers used to get fuckin' bullied in my school :lol:

I don't think its dreadful, even to this day.  I think a lot of that stuff was fantastic.  Its dated obviously but what hasn't?

I can't say I've played them all in years and years.....but I seem to recall a lot of the audio being atrocious, with just a distant booming and a man shouting! Perhaps it's time to have a re-listen then! 

NASA jacket and Spliffy/Herby jeans at the ready! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

I can't say I've played them all in years and years.....but I seem to recall a lot of the audio being atrocious, with just a distant booming and a man shouting! Perhaps it's time to have a re-listen then! 

NASA jacket and Spliffy/Herby jeans at the ready! 

They got banned in my school, them jackets.  The audio quality is pretty poor, you're correct but it was part of the charm, Slippmatt and Clarkee and all that, I liked it.  Thats another thing I like about England, we always have (or have had) something going on in underground music culture and it always seems to penetrate the mainstream on some level or another, perhaps cuz we're such a tiny island shit spreads quicker but like, you take any decade in this country there's always like whats going on and whats REALLY going on, its different and fresh and it wakes you up a bit. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I think we discovered em about the same time. 

In middle school it was a bit more open - either pop music or ''light'' rave like (for girls) Take That and 2Unlimited was the most popular but Guns were floating around also, then high school began and it was hardcore ''fockin'' rave and Guns N' Roses belonged to (doing a drawled accent which was prevalent in my school) ''al that hippy shite like Elvis''. ''Hardcore race'' was deemed ''belter buzzing''. 

35 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

As we clarified, your school system down south is weird. I assume you mean by that, high school? I discovered Guns when I was 10, middle school. The reason I know so specifically is that it was a consequence of the Paris PPV.

You're only 38!? I was sure you were 140 at least. 

27 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

They got banned in my school, them jackets.  The audio quality is pretty poor, you're correct but it was part of the charm, Slippmatt and Clarkee and all that, I liked it.  Thats another thing I like about England, we always have (or have had) something going on in underground music culture and it always seems to penetrate the mainstream on some level or another, perhaps cuz we're such a tiny island shit spreads quicker but like, you take any decade in this country there's always like whats going on and whats REALLY going on, its different and fresh and it wakes you up a bit. 

Why did they get banned?! Wasn't there a cheaper alternative for people who didn't buy the NASA ones? People said it stood for 'Nice And Safe Attitude" I believe too! 

Ah, Slippmatt and Clarkie were names I had music by for sure! 

Yeah, I'd totally agree on that underground music culture thing. It usually comes from nowhere too, and you watch everyone (including the media) play catch up. I experienced a similar thing with the UK grime scene when I was living in London in the early 2000s. There was clearly something going on, and you'd hear nothing about it whatsoever anywhere. Go to the shows and they'd be insane. It really took until 2018 for it to penetrate the mainstream....and by then it was this watered down version of it, so far removed from the things I saw in 2002-2006 ish. These things are definitely healthy and fresh.......

....says the man posting on the forum of an ancient band who seem totally unwilling to acknowledge it isn't 1988 anymore! 

Why did they get banned?! Wasn't there a cheaper alternative for people who didn't buy the NASA ones? People said it stood for 'Nice And Safe Attitude" I believe too! 

Cuz there was a little lad smoking a spliff on em.  Remember them Slammin' Viynl record bags and that?

Yeah, I'd totally agree on that underground music culture thing. It usually comes from nowhere too, and you watch everyone (including the media) play catch up. I experienced a similar thing with the UK grime scene when I was living in London in the early 2000s. There was clearly something going on, and you'd hear nothing about it whatsoever anywhere. Go to the shows and they'd be insane. It really took until 2018 for it to penetrate the mainstream....and by then it was this watered down version of it, so far removed from the things I saw in 2002-2006 ish. These things are definitely healthy and fresh.......

....says the man posting on the forum of an ancient band who seem totally unwilling to acknowledge it isn't 1988 anymore! 

Grime sort of came out of nowhere but at the same time like...this shit mutates from like reggae and ragga and jungle and garage.  People look at grime and see a bunch of Englishmen ripping off American rap but it truth its a lot more from a carribean tradition than anything.  And most of the lads doing it now are second generation African immigrants talking Jamaican slang, we're a weird mix down here.

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Cuz there was a little lad smoking a spliff on em.  Remember them Slammin' Viynl record bags and that?

Grime sort of came out of nowhere but at the same time like...this shit mutates from like reggae and ragga and jungle and garage.  People look at grime and see a bunch of Englishmen ripping off American rap but it truth its a lot more from a carribean tradition than anything.  And most of the lads doing it now are second generation African immigrants talking Jamaican slang, we're a weird mix down here.

Ah yeah. A character with dreadlocked hair! 

I think grime (particularly the early stuff) was almost a reaction against American rap really. I'd say, oddly, it's roots lay very much in things like the music used in Playstation games. There were some incredible producers of that stuff....but sadly most of the really pioneering names ended up in prison for various things! I'm not really a fan of most of the stuff labelled as 'grime' now really. The rawness and hard-edge has gone. Which I suppose is inevitable. 

• downzy changed the title to Izzy takes a leak on a plane - 31 years ago today.