Fortus says there was only a "brief moment" of chemistry in NuGNR

39 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

So basically he says Bumblefoot ruined everything lol.

Mainly because that was going to be his role. He’d take the Bucket leads in a 2 guitar lineup going back and forth with Robin in 2006. It’s a shame we didn’t see that

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, guitarpatch said:

Mainly because that was going to be his role. He’d take the Bucket leads in a 2 guitar lineup going back and forth with Robin in 2006. It’s a shame we didn’t see that

You’d think he would’ve just quit the band at that point, but I guess he knew that a paying gig was a paying gig.

Oh well. At least it paid off for him in the long run, cause he gets to play those Bucket leads now, and he gets to do it alongside Slash, on top of that!

according to GNRontour, There was a moment in the 2002 Tour where axl stopped a song, said something to the crowd, and then the band just went back exactly where they were.

If that's not chemistry, at least musical, I don't know what it is.

But that's actually the whole point : MUSICALLY, New Guns was never a bad band, the only thing missing there was charisma...a charisma that only Richard had, trough the years.  

As an attendee, I haven’t felt like there’s been much of a chemistry shift between the Ashba/BBF/Fortus lineup than the NITL lineup. The band generally has good chemistry with one another I’ve felt with a couple outliers (Ashba and Pitman felt like lone wolves in the former, Melissa in the latter), with Axl not carrying much chemistry with anyone in either lineup except little glimmers of it here and there. Truth be told, I felt like Axl had a lot more chemistry with the rest of the band in AC/DC than I feel like I’ve ever witnessed firsthand with GN’R. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, guitarpatch said:

I would have loved that.  Not anything against BBF of course, I like him both personally and as a guitarist.  But to me GNR has never needed 3 guitarists on stage, the two shows I caught in 2011 and 2012 the songs were there but the guitar parts were just this huge murky sound of so many guitars going at it you couldn't make out any one particular thing save for guitar solos and lead licks

The shows I caught in 2016 were much better.  Slash was super high up in the mix compared to Fortus but I heard their distinct parts, exactly what they played, and how they related to what the other guy was playing.

Edited by WhazUp

Thanks for posting this. The way the question was phrased to Richard was pretty disrespectful. “Axl-only” GNR vs “proper” GNR. LIke, way to diminish his contributions. But then again, NITL GNR has pretty much relegated everyone but “the big three” to the background. 

2 hours ago, NeonKinight said:

according to GNRontour, There was a moment in the 2002 Tour where axl stopped a song, said something to the crowd, and then the band just went back exactly where they were.

If that's not chemistry, at least musical, I don't know what it is.

But that's actually the whole point : MUSICALLY, New Guns was never a bad band, the only thing missing there was charisma...a charisma that only Richard had, trough the years.  

Interesting, as for me Richard had the least charisma. I rarely looked at him the three times I saw NuGnr. Bucket, Bumble, Robin and of course Axl, but Richard...? He blended into the background.

3 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

It isn't Bumble's fault. He came in to play a gig. Sounds like Richard was jealous if anything. Could also be why it didn't work with Bucket. Being 3rd guitarist in a band must automatically bring some jealousy. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

As an attendee, I haven’t felt like there’s been much of a chemistry shift between the Ashba/BBF/Fortus lineup than the NITL lineup. The band generally has good chemistry with one another I’ve felt with a couple outliers (Ashba and Pitman felt like lone wolves in the former, Melissa in the latter), with Axl not carrying much chemistry with anyone in either lineup except little glimmers of it here and there. Truth be told, I felt like Axl had a lot more chemistry with the rest of the band in AC/DC than I feel like I’ve ever witnessed firsthand with GN’R. 

Really? I'd say from the shows I've been to I notice a difference. 

Axl seems way more open in general.

Just the vibe of the show in general is better as well. There's a video of Bumblefoot talking about hating doing the solo sections when he was in the band (like DJ Ashba's Ballad of death) because he knew people didn't want to hear him play. But that changes when it's Slash. People are happy to hear him freestyle a solo. No one wanted to hear 'Motivation' but 'Attitude'? Hell yeah!

It just feels more like a band. 

8 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Lmao I noticed that too. 

I really liked Bumble, amazing player. While I don't doubt he benefited greatly from being in GNR I wonder if he regrets getting involved with the circus?

• Like 2

The band really had a problem with Buckethead and then Bumblefoot. Shame for Buckethead especially.

I wonder how Fortus felt when Ashba butchered those solos night after night. What the fuck was Axl thinking? Just the fact he brought Ashba in is a testament how detached he must have been at that point. A Motley Crue clone/reject in GN'R? To reaplace the awesome Robin Finck no less? Thank god those days are over.

Edited by Sisyphus
  • Like 4

I imagine trying to find a chemistry with Buckethead would be difficult for anyone but always thought the final line up was a rock solid unit to the point of being boring.

Easy to see why Richard would enjoy playing second fiddle to Slash more than third fiddle to Ashba, though. This line up is by far the best it’s ever been for him even if he has had to give up some of the solos he did before.

23 minutes ago, Dean said:

Indirectly pointing the finger at Bucket, yet another member shitting on him.

This saddens me.

Switching gears slightly, am I remembering this incorrectly;

Didn't Bumble arrive at rehearsals but management hadn't told the band a third guitarist was joining?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sisyphus said:

The band really had a problem with Buckethead and then Bumblefoot. Shame for Buckethead especially.

I wonder how Fortus felt when Ashba butchered those solos night after night. What the fuck was Axl thinking? Just the fact he brought Ashba in is a testament how detached he must have been at that point. A Motley Crue clone/reject in GN'R? To reaplace the awesome Robin Finck no less? Thank god those days are over.

The Ashba era is the only era I don't reminisce about. 

48 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

Just the vibe of the show in general is better as well. There's a video of Bumblefoot talking about hating doing the solo sections when he was in the band (like DJ Ashba's Ballad of death) because he knew people didn't want to hear him play. But that changes when it's Slash. People are happy to hear him freestyle a solo. No one wanted to hear 'Motivation' but 'Attitude'? Hell yeah!

Lmao I noticed that too. 

I really liked Bumble, amazing player. While I don't doubt he benefited greatly from being in GNR I wonder if he regrets getting involved with the circus?

Bumble's Don't Cry instrumental solo was amazing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

This saddens me.

Switching gears slightly, am I remembering this incorrectly;

Didn't Bumble arrive at rehearsals but management hadn't told the band a third guitarist was joining?

Correct my good sir.

It's well documented that Tommy made things 'difficult' in the earlier years as I think it was more a case of what 4tus describes in that interview - the band had rehearsed and gotten everything down with just 2 guitarists then Bucket comes into things. Granted I think this was in a period of time where Finck had left to rejoin NIN, but with the two of the lead guitarists clashing themselves, it probably wasn't the best of environments for everyone involved, and I bet Axl was probably none the wiser 

It’s pretty obvious that it must’ve been Axl who got bumble into the band, against everyone else’s will. To be fair, though, Axl has been doing that shit since nearly the very beginning. He put Dizzy in the band in 1990, despite nobody else really wanting him, and then he kicked Gilby out in 1994 (against the rest of the band’s wishes) and replaced him with Paul (even more so against the band’s wishes).

At this point, Axl being who he is and making these rather bizarre choices is just kinda part of the band’s “dna,” for lack of a better term.

Still tho, one can’t help but wonder what it would’ve been like had Bumble never joined. On one hand, things might’ve gone smoother from then onward (cause Bumble is a whiner), but on the other hand, he contributed some stuff to ChiDem that I consider to be rather important for that album; fretless guitar on the title track, shackler solo, catcher outro, and the additional riffs on IRS. For me, those were all important updates that helped all those songs sound more like “classic” GnR.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GNR_RNR said:

Lmao I noticed that too. 

I don’t disagree with the points you bring up, but those aren’t really the same as chemistry within the band. The crowd wanting to hear certain solo spots over other solo spots from different members is more of a popularity thing, it’s not because the band didn’t have chemistry. Ashba solo spots were definitely boring, but I don’t blame the band for that, I blame Ashba because he wrote them. On the contrary, Fortus’ Bond Theme and Bumble’s Pink Panther Theme were super cool, probably my favorite solo spots I’ve seen from GN’R. The latter even featured a large chunk of the then-current lineup when Bumble released a studio version - that doesn’t scream lack of chemistry to me. 

As for Axl, he seems to interact better with the crowd nowadays, but I don’t necessarily agree about the rest of the band. That’s where I don’t feel a change between lineups. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

The Ashba era is the only era I don't reminisce about. 

Bumble's Don't Cry instrumental solo was amazing.

Indeed but it was less solos to do with GNR music and more the likes of his Pink Panther (Or Richards James Bond) solo he was referring to. 

It must have been disheartening to know they were playing to crowds that didn't want to hear them.

1 minute ago, Powerage5 said:

I don’t disagree with the points you bring up, but those aren’t really the same as chemistry within the band. The crowd wanting to hear certain solo spots over other solo spots from different members is more of a popularity thing, it’s not because the band didn’t have chemistry. Ashba solo spots were definitely boring, but I don’t blame the band for that, I blame Ashba because he wrote them. On the contrary, Fortus’ Bond Theme and Bumble’s Pink Panther Theme were super cool, probably my favorite solo spots I’ve seen from GN’R. The latter even featured a large chunk of the then-current lineup when Bumble released a studio version - that doesn’t scream lack of chemistry to me. 

I'd say it all factors in to the chemistry of the band. Sharing the load of the spotlight definitely leads to better chemistry on stage. Axl not disappearing as regularly for air also helps, on top of that when he does leave the stage there's still Slash and Duff. Just feels like more of a band than a solo project.

I mean it's from Bumble himself that he could tell people didn't want to hear his solo instrumentals. No one's saying that they weren't good (his playing was always immaculate) just that it wasn't what people wanted to hear.

• Like 1