Fortus says there was only a "brief moment" of chemistry in NuGNR

2 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I doubt BBF was offered any role in the reunion. 

Yeah I don't think he was either, but people doubted that DJ was offered anything too... if DJ was offered a job, Ron seems like a shoe in!!

Aanyone who stayed got a place on the reunion as far as I can see. Axls loyalty blah, blah😃had bumble not quit in 2014, I think there's a good chance Axl would have offered him the 3rd gtr player position. 

Just a shame we won't ever get to hear the 30 minute KOHD including Slash, Richard and Bumblefoot solos.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah I don't think he was either, but people doubted that DJ was offered anything too... if DJ was offered a job, Ron seems like a shoe in!!

Aanyone who stayed got a place on the reunion as far as I can see. Axls loyalty blah, blah😃had bumble not quit in 2014, I think there's a good chance Axl would have offered him the 3rd gtr player position. 

Just a shame we won't ever get to hear the 30 minute KOHD including Slash, Richard and Bumblefoot solos.

Slash was never going to accept a 3rd guitar player. I thinks it’s cool Axl wanted to expand and explore the horizons of what GNR could do, but Slash could do that by himself mostly. I don’t think Izzy had much to do with Estranged for example. 

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, I don't think any NuGNR guitarist other than Fortus was ever seriously considered for the Axl/Slash reunion lineup (despite of what Ashba said), as Fortus was the only one Slash would agree on.

Fortus was always a big Slash fan. In 2004 he was spotted at a Velvet Revolver show.

I never believed Ashba’s claim. It just does not vibe. Plus, who would turn down such an offer? As if. Fucking nobody. You know both Fortus and Frank were praying to be a part of this reunion. I just wonder if they got salary bumps. 

Edited by The Holographic Universe

1 minute ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I never believed Ashba’s claim. It just does not vibe. Plus, who would turn down such an offer? As if. Fucking nobody. You know both Fortus and Frank were praying to be a part of this reunion. I just wonder if they got salary bumps. 

I don't know... I suspect that maybe Ashba was "discretely" prompted to resign by TB, because Axl was in difficult position and didn't want to lay him off directly.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don't know... I suspect that maybe Ashba was "discretely" prompted to resign by TB, because Axl was in difficult position and didn't want to lay him off directly.

That is insightful. That’s sounds accurate. By “difficult position”, are you implying Axl was prompted by finances for the reunion? 

1 minute ago, The Holographic Universe said:

That is insightful. That’s sounds accurate. By “difficult position”, are you implying Axl was prompted by finances for the reunion? 

No, I meant it as in awkward position, that it probably didn't feel right to him to fire Ashba just like that.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I don't believe him either, and even if it was initially offered there's no way that Slash would accept him being there (or BBF for that matter). 

Remember it was whispered that one of them (I think Duff) didn't care for the lineup but went along with it because of the money but the other (Slash) was very unsatisfied with the lineup and didn't like it at all. Plus back then they thought it was just going to be Coachella and a few other dates so I guess they probably figured they could live with it for that long. I think Slash gets along ok with Richard on a personal level but I don't fully believe that he's 100% into everything he plays, but at the same time I'm not sure he's aware of everything that he's playing and doing. And at this point he probably doesn't care. 

I would absolutely LOVE to read a book by Bumblefoot about his time with GNR. From some of his interview comments I think it would be pretty open and honest. 

There's a definite correlation between people's desire to make and push for new music and the length of their time in GNR......

Bucket - loves making new music, brief spell 

Finck, loves making new music, brief spell

Bumble - loves making new music, short spell

Ashba - loves making new music, short spell 

Fortus - seemingly happy as a 'session guy' and makes little music, long spell 

Brain - loves making new music, brief spell

Frank - seemingly happy as a 'session guy' and makes little music, long spell 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I would absolutely LOVE to read a book by Bumblefoot about his time with GNR. From some of his interview comments I think it would be pretty open and honest. 

Agreed. That would be a good one!

Bumble seems to be a lot more at peace with the whole Guns thing now. When in the band he felt his health wasnt respected by TB/Axl, he was injured and self medicating, enduing workplace bullying, having his writing rejected, etc. Was a lot to take Im sure.

But now he seems able to offer Axl some degree of grace (Im thinking about the loud wire interview).

And thats the story Id like to hear, a sympathetic person who, none the less, has seen how the sausage is made. I think especially for writing about Axl, that would be the best way to go about it. Gives a fuller picture.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Slash didn't name Ashba specifically but he did say "Other guitar players from the previous line up were considered", suggesting Richard was the first one in and he just fit right away so they didn't go any further with it.

I don't know how flexible Slash was willing to be for the NITL situation, but yeah! I doubt he'd have loved the idea of a 3rd guitar player... especially not a 3rd guitar player like Bumble who was technically lightyears ahead of him... Maybe it would have lit a torch under his ass? Maybe he would have said, "That guy has gotta go", who knows! But I never expected Richard to be given as much lead in the NITL set, so I guess there was some flexibility! 

I still think duff should be the 3rd guitar player on rhythm n have stinson on bass. I felt bad for him when we found out the line up of the band. 

Edit: Though it was obvious he was out after Duff covered for him. 

Edited by Axlr0s37

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Slash didn't name Ashba specifically but he did say "Other guitar players from the previous line up were considered", suggesting Richard was the first one in and he just fit right away so they didn't go any further with it.

I don't know how flexible Slash was willing to be for the NITL situation, but yeah! I doubt he'd have loved the idea of a 3rd guitar player... especially not a 3rd guitar player like Bumble who was technically lightyears ahead of him... Maybe it would have lit a torch under his ass? Maybe he would have said, "That guy has gotta go", who knows! But I never expected Richard to be given as much lead in the NITL set, so I guess there was some flexibility! 

I think Richard fits better than the others because he has no persona, he's just Richard Fortus, not "Buckethead" or "Bumblefoot" or "Freakshow Marilyn Manson reject", as people considered Finck. Ashba clearly had a gimmick too.

• Like 1

What a dick thing for Fortus to say now, has put me right off him.

Bumble really did have a tough time, but stuck with it and has to be the best member for treating the fans well, also he was the only one who had the balls to come out and play at Download 2006 when the band went off, didn't see Fortus anywhere....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brownstone drum said:

Bumble really did have a tough time, but stuck with it and has to be the best member for treating the fans well, also he was the only one who had the balls to come out and play at Download 2006 when the band went off, didn't see Fortus anywhere....

Yeah, judging it from my side - as a fan - BBF had one of the most positive vibes from the whole bunch. In fact, the most positive ones. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brownstone drum said:

Yeah, BBF used to go out of his way to connect with fans. When he used to come out on stage right at the end to say thanks and hello really felt genuine. 

From a fan perspective he seemed to conduct himself well, play great on stage, and want to push the band forward.

Also, I believe he was the reason they started doing Estranged again, which I'm personally very grateful for! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Brownstone drum said:

Bbf was never a yes man, where I would say Fortus is, never bothered me til this

I always felt that Ron was a terrible fit music wise. And he's just not cool at all, no matter what he tried on stage. 

But - he comes across as a great person and you're right - he's the ONLY member of nu guns that was no yes man. That's impressive. 

21 minutes ago, Creed said:

NuGnR was never a real band and you can hear it on a lot of tracks. If you read between the lines Fortus is just saying that between 2004-2006 there was a clique of him, Robin and Brian. He is not mentioning Stinson and Pitman. So what he is actually saying is: the maximum of 3 people got real tight through all the years.

In 2006 Robin was so good that he could have been the new lead guitarist, but Axl decided to add BBF for the Bucket parts...it was a super dumb move by Axl.

Yes, maybe Robin could have become THE guitarist at that point. It just wasn't meant to be, I guess.