Fortus says there was only a "brief moment" of chemistry in NuGNR

44 minutes ago, Creed said:

NuGnR was never a real band and you can hear it on a lot of tracks. If you read between the lines Fortus is just saying that between 2004-2006 there was a clique of him, Robin and Brian. He is not mentioning Stinson and Pitman. So what he is actually saying is: the maximum of 3 people got real tight through all the years.

In 2006 Robin was so good that he could have been the new lead guitarist, but Axl decided to add BBF for the Bucket parts...it was a super dumb move by Axl.

Or Axl was (possibly) thinking Robin kinda comes and goes as he pleases... maybe I need a fail safe. Also, the 3 guitar sound when they dialed it in, in 2009 was fucking great! It was a different vibe to classic guns, but I thought it was so powerful and cool when all three were playing different parts.

• Like 1
  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So basically he says Bumblefoot ruined everything lol.

He did this interview a couple of weeks ago (I don't think it's been posted here) and said some interesting things. I think it's the first time he talked so openly about this. He also talked about wor

CAUTION (personal opinion ahead) I don't enjoy seeing Fortus on stage and never did. This never ending over the top guitar-spinning... Hitting the strings as if they owed him money while jumping aro

1 hour ago, Creed said:

In 2006 Robin was so good that he could have been the new lead guitarist, but Axl decided to add BBF for the Bucket parts...it was a super dumb move by Axl.

On a side note along these lines, I find it funny how Axl fully intended on Robin being Slash's replacement according to Matt's story of Axl talking about him, and then just a few years later he told Slash's replacement he is now second to Bucketheaad who is now gonna be the most prominent lead guitarist in the live shows lol.  Then Bucket leaves and Robin is probably going "now is my chance - I am the new Slash finally!" only for BBF to randomly stroll in and steal his thunder

Robin Finck is the true victim of it all, poor Finckster

Edited by WhazUp
1 hour ago, Creed said:

NuGnR was never a real band and you can hear it on a lot of tracks. If you read between the lines Fortus is just saying that between 2004-2006 there was a clique of him, Robin and Brian. He is not mentioning Stinson and Pitman. So what he is actually saying is: the maximum of 3 people got real tight through all the years.

I agree with most of what you state in your post. It was definitely a mistake for Axl to stuck with the 3 guitar idea for GNR. 

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

On a side note along these lines, I find it funny how Axl fully intended on Robin being Slash's replacement according to Matt's story of Axl talking about him, and then just a few years later he told Slash's replacement he is now second to Bucketheaad who is now gonna be the most prominent lead guitarist in the live shows lol.  Then Bucket leaves and Robin is probably going "now is my chance - I am the new Slash finally!" only for BBF to randomly stroll in and steal his thunder

Robin Finck is the true victim of it all, poor Finckster

If Robin hadn't left in 1999, probably GnR would never had become a three guitar band. Axl got Buckethead to replace him, then Robin returned and Axl wanted to keep them both. And then Axl went on with three guitar lineups, although probably there was uncertainty about whether to replace Buckethead. It seems guitarists were auditioned in 2004 including Bumblefoot, but no one was hired and then Bumblefoot was called at the last minute before the shows in 2006.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

If Robin hadn't left in 1999, probably GnR would never had become a three guitar band. Axl got Buckethead to replace him, then Robin returned and Axl wanted to keep them both. And then Axl went on with three guitar lineups, although probably there was uncertainty about whether to replace Buckethead. It seems guitarists were auditioned in 2004 including Bumblefoot, but no one was hired and then Bumblefoot was called at the last minute before the shows in 2006.

Maybe Axl was worried Finck would bail again? 

At least they could carry on with a third guitarist

13 hours ago, DK6 said:

I still think Slash should play the drums n have ashba on guitar.  Frank could then focus on the bongos.

What would dizzy do then? Make the tea during WTTJ? 

I happen to like the 3 guitar sound and I enjoyed Stinson on bass. 

Duff is a guitarist. I can't see the problem, it might upset a few mullets that Duff is on guitar and not bass. But it wouldn't be the first time a member of a band switched instruments.

People like to whinge theres no izzy. I like to whinge theres no stinson and a thinner 2 guitar sound. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gnrjanus said:

Wasnt Robbin fired in 09 after his contract ended.  Wast there something dirty bout that? 

Naa, he left to rejoin NIN before Chinese dropped. Axl seemed unsure himself of his status with the band in the chats on here.

6 minutes ago, Dean said:

Naa, he left to rejoin NIN before Chinese dropped. Axl seemed unsure himself of his status with the band in the chats on here.

My understanding is he left because he was not being paid. Apparently this was in some of the "MSL docs" 

17 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

Isn't Fortus using a Tubescreamer or something like that? His guitar is way too loud in the mix.

GNR finally has audible rhythm guitar next to Slash and we’re like oh yikes... shit... actually... yeah let’s roll that puppy back...and put a shirt on.

Duff on guitar?? NITL needs less guitar and more groove! “The three guitar sound”?? So you’d have Duff laying down the rhythm guitar, Slash doing his thing and Fortus just adding maximum ham 🍖, endless shred lines and guitarmonies.

If the sound is thin it's because they’re not grooving playing at 100mph and Axl isn’t occupying enough space vocally. 

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1
40 minutes ago, Ant said:

GNR finally has audible rhythm guitar next to Slash and we’re like oh yikes... shit... actually... yeah let’s roll that puppy back...and put a shirt on.

Duff on guitar?? NITL needs less guitar and more groove! “The three guitar sound”?? So you’d have Duff laying down the rhythm guitar, Slash doing his thing and Fortus just adding maximum ham 🍖, endless shred lines and guitarmonies.

If the sound is thin it's because they’re not grooving playing at 100mph and Axl isn’t occupying enough space vocally. 

What?

He is an EXTREMELY gitfted guitar player, seems to be a very nice and humble guy and I admire his creativity. But enough about BBF, thanks for Fortus' opinion.

19 hours ago, Axlr0s37 said:

Duff is a guitarist. I can't see the problem, it might upset a few mullets that Duff is on guitar and not bass. But it wouldn't be the first time a member of a band switched instruments.

People like to whinge theres no izzy. I like to whinge theres no stinson and a thinner 2 guitar sound. 

Good thing you have nothing to say.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Axlr0s37 said:

Dizzy would be too busy concentrating on his vocals. 

Meanwhile Axl will be providing interpretive folk ballet accompaniment.

Stinson would have to content himself with the hand towel waving.

Fortus tells pretty much the same story as Ron did after he left the band. Two guitars turn into a three at a day's (weeks?) notice before the 2006 Hammerstein shows. Axl's trademark HR skills at work there. "Liking" the two-guitar sound and leading the band into thinking that's the touring lineup. Meanwhile, Cornrow & co. were chasing Bucket up until the last minute. There were also ruminations about auditioning guitar players in New York, which may even have happened without the backing band's knowledge. I would guess that's all because the three-guitar concept was deemed vital for CD songs. They could do the back catalogue with two gtrs, but Axl wanted to have Bucket's parts played live - while Finck & Fortus were doing theirs.

The same kind of recruiting shambles went on before RIR3. Robin had left and Bucket was in. Suddenly, Robin comes back and Axl goes, "Guess this is a three-guitar band, then!" Just that, those kinds of last-minute reversals really tear into people. Imagine you'd be a replacement member in a big band and after laborious rehearsals, things shift dramatically at the 11th hour and the boss tells you to deal with it. Accommodate the new guy, re-think everything you've worked for the past several months. No pressure.

Such antics strain the employees' trust. The boss is a flake and the show's on him - the joke's on you. As mentioned in this thread, classic Ax. Dizzy and Paul came in the same way.

• Like 1

Seeing the Ashba, Bumble, and Fortus trio in Belfast in 2010 shortly after the reading incident I thought the band had incredible chemistry together. I think in 2012 the band maybe lost a bit of energy. For me Fortus has added a lot of my favourite riffs to the Chinese material and his duelling back and forth with Slash on KOHD, Rocket Queen and wish you were here were the highlights of the NITL live show for me. It's strange reading the thread and seeing the disdain for him, because when I was here in 2004-2006 everyone was shitting on Fink at the time for being sloppy, in 2006 everyone was shitting on Bumble, 2010 Ashba, and now it seems Fortus is getting a run. Truth be told Fortus and Slash do have excellent chemistry and is the perfect marriage to bring the chinese and classic gnr together. I look forward to seeing what they can produce together. Izzy and Slash no doubt still produce great tunes together as evidenced by 'Ghost', but I reckon Fortus and Slash probably will have a lot more mileage when it comes down to it.

also I think people are reading far too much into things as being a personal sleight on Bumble, or bucket. At no point has Fortus said anything to that effect about hating those people. Truth be told it's easier to collab and trade solos back and forth with 2 guitarists than it is with 3. November rain is a great example where it was basically "now this guitarist gets to do their solo" The solo spots were largely the same every night, where I think Fortus is alluding to here is more that there is more a jamming vibe between he and Slash now. I think it's similar to how Fink and he did the 'Beautiful' duet in 2006. 

13 hours ago, adamsapple said:

I didn't want to post here anymore, but that interview is just pissing me off.

The "spirit of 2006" (due to lack of a better term for the peak of "Nu" GNR at least in concert) was a thousand times more valuable than this ass kissing and backstabbing interview from Richard. I haven't heard him say anything among those lines when he had the honor of performing alongside Izzy back in 2006. I can see him being frustrated with Ashba having personal chemistry with Axl, but taking Richard taking a piss on Buckethead or Ron is Richard pissing WAY upstairs, both musicially and personally.

For the record, it was Ron who saved all your asses back in 2006 because Axl for the life of him just wouldn't tour without a third guitarist once Bucket was gone and no one else was available, capable AND affordable at the same time back then. It was Ron who had the guts to face the challenge and managed to fit in musicially and get a nod from the fans after just a few shows - by sheer skill, class and dedication. It was Ron who brought back songs like "Don't Cry" and "Estranged" into the back then very AFD heavy set, trying to build bridges with fans on and off stage, speaking up and showing some actual spine WHILE HE WAS STILL IN THE BAND while everyone else was just on their own little rockstar trip, collecting the paycheck and desperately trying to stay in Axl's good graces because they had no other noteable paying gig to show for.

Robin and Tommy had their own standing before and without Axl, they can get along just fine doing what they love. So does Ron and surely Buckethead, two of the greatest guitarists of our time. But Richard? Dude, let me get this straight and please correct me if I'm wrong - you've been in this band for 20 years and didn't come up with a single original song, not for a solo project, not for a GNR album, not for a GNR b-side, not for an outtake, not even for a sideshow filler in concert. Nothing. Nada. None. This is Guns N' Roses you can play your ass of for 20 more years but no will ever take you REALLY seriously if you don't come up with a fucking song! The respect you have earned is because of your loyalty and dedication and I'm amazed how you can ruin all that by a single interview, at least for me. And by the way it was Ron's parts that Axl choose over Brian fucking May, not yours. Before GNR your biggest gigs were playing for (not with!) Britney Spears and N'Sync. Your most respectable gig outside Guns was a little studio work for Fiona Apple and touring with the tenth incarnation of whatever was left of Thin Lizzy. You wanna talk about chemistry? Remember when Izzy stood next to Axl on stage back in 2006 and thousands of people went apeshit? That is chemistry. Remember when Angus was mopping the floor with all of you except Axl at Coachella? That is chemisty. Remember when Ron won over tons of fans by dusting off "Don't Cry" and "Estranged" ALONE AND INSTRUMENTALLY ONLY BECAUSE AXL WOULDN'T SING IT AND NONE OF YOU GUYS WOULD SUPPORT HIM BUT HE WAS PLAYING IT REGARDLESS FOR THE FANS? That is also chemistry. Glad to hear you guys in NITL get along great, but the TRUTH is no one in the NITL lineup has any of that "chemistry" - you guys are just playing alongside not with each other and anyone who has seen enough to know the difference will confirm that.

For the love of god please end this reunion mess and bring back Izzy, Adler, late starts, drugs, rants and tantrums. Blame it on Corona. Blame it on Trump if it helps. As much as I'd take the AFD5 over any other lineup, I'd surely take any 2002 or 2006 show over the best NITL concert.

Is that you, Ron?

• Haha 3
31 minutes ago, LA_0013 said:

Is that you, Ron?

14 hours ago, adamsapple said:

But Richard? Dude, let me get this straight and please correct me if I'm wrong - you've been in this band for 20 years and didn't come up with a single original song, not for a solo project, not for a GNR album, not for a GNR b-side, not for an outtake, not even for a sideshow filler in concert. Nothing. Nada. None.best NITL concert.

U are wrong. such easy to prove it that I will not !!!!