'Not in this Lifetime' Selects - Overview

I watched the whole thing now. I'm sorry but it all sounds like shit to me because of the vocals. The only moments that are listenable are the "deep voice" sections (Brownstone, Don't cry), everything else sounds ridiculous. 

Slash's TWAT solo sounds ok at best, quite amateurish and a far cry from Bucketheads work on the album or any live version before Slash.

Edited by El Guapo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

I'm the same way. I'm a big Axl supporter and I just wish he could do something to get the rasp back in the voice. 

He's said before it hurts him to sing that way though. I also remember a post from a vocal coach on HTGTH years ago saying that that was probably an unhealthy way to sing. Sadly, I think it may be gone forever. Might be too much of a physical strain to do it.

You can sing dirty with healthy technique, if you force it continually of course you will damage your voice. If you learn how to distort correctly you can do at will. 

Most voice coaches are not rock singers, so when they hear a voice like Axl which is very high nasal and distorted they instantly say "don't do that, you're poor voice" but if you use the correct technique and placement there's no reason to hurt yourself, doing an hour warm before a 3hr show is actually what most vocal coaches would advise against. They'd say 15/20 mins is loads.

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

Tbh I don't think I'm ready to face this recent selects. I'm still recovering from the previous one 

giphy.gif

Just click on mute and play the album versions in the background. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

You absolutely need to watch the Houston/Mexico 2016 one in that case! Brasilia 2016 too but the Houston one was ACE!

Now that I think about it, I think Houston was the other one I watched. I'll go back and check it out just in case I miseed it 

Listening now. This is really fun. Just what I needed this morning. 

Happy they included Slash solo too. 

I was gonna skip around but didn’t realize how much I miss seeing this band perform. “Sweet Child” is awesome here,  but, man, I wish they’d slow their tempo down. I know it’s been discussed, that they prefer playing faster. But I wish some of the songs they’d slow down. 

“Better” is such a kickass song live. I enjoyed this version, especially into the bridge and coda. Axl sounded good on it. 

And I’m so glad to have a pro shot “There was a Time,” especially since they removed my video from the front row of the Chicago “TWAT” performance.  

Edited by GnR Chris

I've never really got into the ' who is the best drummer' thing, but Adler brings SO much life to My Michelle it's unreal. It really stood out to me, and I've never especially been bothered about him. 

I could definitely live with never hearing SCOM again quite happily now! 

i had 2 experiences with this, i look the vid in the office and seems like the worsth shit ever,

then i came home and watch it again with some grass and omg i fucking enjoy the experience, what a show

i guess in my head was all the negativity and when that come down, i live it like when i was 16 again.

3 hours ago, janrichmond said:

Tbh I don't think I'm ready to face this recent selects. I'm still recovering from the previous one 

giphy.gif

DOn't even bother.. Especially if you didn't like the last one which I though was pretty good overall. This one is complete trash

• Like 1

5 hours ago, El Guapo said:

I watched the whole thing now. I'm sorry but it all sounds like shit to me because of the vocals. The only moments that are listenable are the "deep voice" sections (Brownstone, Don't cry), everything else sounds ridiculous. 

Slash's TWAT solo sounds ok at best, quite amateurish and a far cry from Bucketheads work on the album or any live version before Slash.

Yeah the TWAT solo does sound like someone who kinda listened to it an hour before the gig. He doesn't sound sure of himself. Axls voice was poor. I even thought he was awful singing brownstone which he normally can pull off. This is just the latest example of gnr releasing official footage that should not have been releases. Great that they are semi regularly putting  out content! Terrible that they refuse to have any sort of quality filter. I honestly haven't watched one performance from the entire Selects and loved what I heard from start to finish. That's 25+ songs with 4rs worth of footage to work with just to put that in context. Out ta get me is as close as it's got for me.

Before 2016 I'd have said Slash would have put a great spin on that solo. It's funny how faithful he is to that solo compared to all the rest. His best solo on Chinese stuff is probably the solo before the breakdown in Better, it actually benefits the song and blends in.

12 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Before 2016 I'd have said Slash would have put a great spin on that solo. It's funny how faithful he is to that solo compared to all the rest. His best solo on Chinese stuff is probably the solo before the breakdown in Better, it actually benefits the song and blends in.

Slash said that he is a fan of Bucket's work on CD in interviews. Maybe he should take lessons from the man himself? 

Here is the quote:

“That said, I also want to give credit where credit’s due – the guitar players that played on Chinese Democracy, Buckethead being one of the main ones – are amazing guitar players."

https://gnrcentral.com/2018/10/11/slash-reveals-his-thoughts-on-chinese-democracy/

Edited by Sosso

9 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah the TWAT solo does sound like someone who kinda listened to it an hour before the gig. He doesn't sound sure of himself. Axls voice was poor. I even thought he was awful singing brownstone which he normally can pull off. This is just the latest example of gnr releasing official footage that should not have been releases. Great that they are semi regularly putting  out content! Terrible that they refuse to have any sort of quality filter. I honestly haven't watched one performance from the entire Selects and loved what I heard from start to finish. That's 25+ songs with 4rs worth of footage to work with just to put that in context. Out ta get me is as close as it's got for me.

Bucket's Twat outro is really long and there are a ton of licks to remember. Slash is probably not going to sit down and study it like Bumble did, it's just not his approach so he does his best to capture the overall feel of it after probably listening to the studio version a few times and improvising most of it. I think it sounds messy cause he plays certain licks from a section of the solo, improvises some stuff and repeats this process until the song comes to its end.

it does sound cool with his sound and way of playing. My guess is Slash could have come up with great solos of his own for Chinese given enough time with the material in a studio/not on a stage. My favorite Slash interpretation of the material is his playing on the title track and I've heard really cool performances of Sorry and Madagascar by him. Catcher fits his style well imo even if he never quite nailed it live.

his solo spot from this selects clearly shows his tendency to overplay. He isn't inspired most of the time like he was 20 years ago but there are still big chunks of the show where he's on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Bucket's Twat outro is really long and there are a ton of licks to remember. Slash is probably not going to sit down and study it like Bumble did, it's just not his approach so he does his best to capture the overall feel of it after probably listening to the studio version a few times and improvising most of it. I think it sounds messy cause he plays certain licks from a section of the solo, improvises some stuff and repeats this process until the song comes to its end.

it does sound cool with his sound and way of playing. My guess is Slash could have come up with great solos of his own for Chinese given enough time with the material in a studio/not on a stage. My favorite Slash interpretation of the material is his playing on the title track and I've heard really cool performances of Sorry and Madagascar by him. Catcher fits his style well imo even if he never quite nailed it live.

his solo spot from this selects clearly shows his tendency to overplay. He isn't inspired most of the time like he was 20 years ago but there are still big chunks of the show where he's on.

I completely skipped the solo spot. I love Slash but I just couldn't care less to watch him or any guitar player noodling around on some blues licks... I mean maybe Guthrie Govan or Derek Trucks are the exception. I understand why his solo spot is in the set, and I know there are a lot of people in the crowd that eat it up... I just think it's way too long, and The Godfather theme is just boring from start to finish.

As for Slash not studying the TWAT solo, and it not being his style to do so... that would be fair if he took the solo in a different direction putting his style on it, but he really isn't doing that. It just sounds sloppy. Now, I have heard him play it before and it was quite good so, I'm not saying that it's always phoned in. But yeah, the TWAT solo is just one of those things on CD that you have to really deliver if you're going to play it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sosso said:

Slash said that he is a fan of Bucket's work on CD in interviews. Maybe he should take lessons from the man himself? 

Here is the quote:

“That said, I also want to give credit where credit’s due – the guitar players that played on Chinese Democracy, Buckethead being one of the main ones – are amazing guitar players."

https://gnrcentral.com/2018/10/11/slash-reveals-his-thoughts-on-chinese-democracy/

It's nice of Slash to say that TBH. Slash saying that would probably make a few people who were Slash camp go and listen to the album. Not saying it'll make anyone like the album, but at least they'll listen to it.

It would be insane if he was saying they aren't amazing guitar players. Like I love Bumblefoot, but there are a lot of GNR fans that don't like his sound and playing in GNR.... but nobody could argue that as a guitar player he is exceptional.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

It's nice of Slash to say that TBH. Slash saying that would probably make a few people who were Slash camp go and listen to the album. Not saying it'll make anyone like the album, but at least they'll listen to it.

It would be insane if he was saying they aren't amazing guitar players. Like I love Bumblefoot, but there are a lot of GNR fans that don't like his sound and playing in GNR.... but nobody could argue that as a guitar player he is exceptional.

It's also possible that Melissa gave him some of his solo albums/Pikes. She has recorded two or three albums with Bucket and Brain. 

Edited by Sosso

3 minutes ago, Sosso said:

It's also possible that Melissa gave him some of his solo albums/Pikes. She has recorded two or three albums with Bucket and Brain. 

i didn't know she worked with Bucket too! Interesting!🤠

In 2007 Slash said this about Buckethead (that was before CD, of course, so maybe he changed his mind a bit later):

Stern: Do you think Buckethead is a talented individual?

Slash: You know, I’ve never… I don’t really know his work. I really don’t know his work.

Stern: I see. Okay.

Slash: I’ve heard he’s a really accomplished guitar player.

Stern: Okay.

Slash: Very technically, you know, fluent.

Stern: You say that as a put-down in a way, that a guitar player-

Slash: He’s not a rock guy, you know.

Stern: A rock guy has a certain soul to his guitar. Is that what you’re saying?

Slash: Yeah.

Stern: It’s not just all about technique.

Slash: I have heard a couple of pieces of music from Buckethead, and it’s technically proficient but doesn’t have any heart, you know?

Stern: So, in other words, you kind of say, “Hey, there’s two types of musicians.” There’s the guy who can go and read charts and get that all done, and then there’s you. You can walk into a studio and make something magical happen.

Slash: Something like that.

Slash: You know, it’s like, if somebody picks up the guitar, and has the balls to really come from the heart and expose himself emotionally on the instrument, you can tell, you can feel it.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5620-2007-11-01-the-howard-stern-show-interview-with-slash

12 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

In 2007 Slash said this about Buckethead (that was before CD, of course, so maybe he changed his mind a bit later):

Slash: You know, I’ve never… I don’t really know his work. I really don’t know his work.

Slash: I have heard a couple of pieces of music from Buckethead, and it’s technically proficient but doesn’t have any heart, you know?

Stern: So, in other words, you kind of say, “Hey, there’s two types of musicians.” There’s the guy who can go and read charts and get that all done, and then there’s you. You can walk into a studio and make something magical happen.

Slash: You know, it’s like, if somebody picks up the guitar, and has the balls to really come from the heart and expose himself emotionally on the instrument, you can tell, you can feel it.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5620-2007-11-01-the-howard-stern-show-interview-with-slash

in a different interview Slash said he knew all the guitar players in new Gn'R except Bucket, and that "that kind of playing" was not his thing. (something like that anyway)

maybe once he actually got the chance to listen to Chinese and play some of the material he learned to appreciate Bucket's and Robin's work more. I remember another interview where Slash said that he thought one of the players "didn't even try" referring to what I believe was some of the guitar solos or solo on Chinese. Maybe Robin's Better solo but that's just a guess and I can't find that interview.

Edited by Rovim

10 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Usually Slash changes his "truth" when it doesn't suit him

Edited by Beto 22

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

This is just the latest example of gnr releasing official footage that should not have been releases. Great that they are semi regularly putting  out content! Terrible that they refuse to have any sort of quality filter. I honestly haven't watched one performance from the entire Selects and loved what I heard from start to finish. That's 25+ songs with 4rs worth of footage to work with just to put that in context. Out ta get me is as close as it's got for me.

Not even close to any quality filter.. I am convinced that no one in the band watches these things before they are released.. How could they?? If they did, then they obviously don't give a fuck.. If they didn't, then they obviously don't give a fuck.. Shame on Slash and Duff for being a part of all this.. They never liked Axl dragging the GnR name through the mud all those years and now they are just as guilty.. 

They should just cancel the tour and Axl can pretend that it was booked without his knowledge.. He has done it in the past..

• Like 3