'Not in this Lifetime' Selects - Overview

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

Not even close to any quality filter.. I am convinced that no one in the band watches these things before they are released.. How could they?? If they did, then they obviously don't give a fuck.. If they didn't, then they obviously don't give a fuck.. Shame on Slash and Duff for being a part of all this.. They never liked Axl dragging the GnR name through the mud all those years and now they are just as guilty.. 

They should just cancel the tour and Axl can pretend that it was booked without his knowledge.. He has done it in the past..

Yeah, nobody here expects perfection, but it would be nice to go to the show & be able to close your eyes and be sure that you're listening to Axl Rose and not a drunk eunuch. I am all for GNR finishing their commitments and pissing off, because there's no room for these shitty legacy acts that won't put in the work to sound good. Look at Def Leppard, Joe can't hit the crazy notes anymore but he still sounds like Joe Elliot, because both Joe and the band put a lot of work in to make sure they sound good! they take pride in delivering and when they play a bad show they don't go "oh well" they say "Fuck, I'm not gonna let that happen on the next gig". It's a completely different ideology unfortunately. I wish I liked Def Leppard more TBH, unfortunately GNRs music just does a whole lot more for me... but as live bands Def leppard kicks GNRs ass even if it's an off night for them.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, moreblack said:

It gets to a point with Bucket, and Bumble also, where the shred just starts sounding like a turkey gobbling really fast. Someone pointed that out and now I can't unhear it.

Yeah I think at a certain point it goes from musical and enjoyable, to this is just a lot of notes... gobble gobble.

Same goes for a lot fo players Zakk, Slash, Morello they are all capable of great things but for whatever reason guitar players just love to push the settings to 11 all the time.

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah I think at a certain point it goes from musical and enjoyable, to this is just a lot of notes... gobble gobble.

Same goes for a lot fo players Zakk, Slash, Morello they are all capable of great things but for whatever reason guitar players just love to push the settings to 11 all the time.

I wouldn’t say that about bucket & morello. When they do it it fits the songs arch/climax the other guys you mentioned 100% noodling chicken gobble 

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, moreblack said:

It gets to a point with Bucket, and Bumble also, where the shred just starts sounding like a turkey gobbling really fast. Someone pointed that out and now I can't unhear it.

Well there is that part in Jordan that (intentionally) sounds like chickens... :lol:

I get what you mean, Ron (especially in 2006-07) would end up making bad video game noises at times, and Bucket could get carried away, but some of his solos like KOHD were fantastic. After Slash, Bucket had the 2nd best tone of any guitar player that's been in the band, IMO.

54 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Not even close to any quality filter.. I am convinced that no one in the band watches these things before they are released.. How could they?? If they did, then they obviously don't give a fuck.. If they didn't, then they obviously don't give a fuck.. Shame on Slash and Duff for being a part of all this.. They never liked Axl dragging the GnR name through the mud all those years and now they are just as guilty.. 

They should just cancel the tour and Axl can pretend that it was booked without his knowledge.. He has done it in the past..

I've always wondered how you maintain such a positive outlook.

Your regular posts are like a ray of sunshine in my life. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Yeah, and only yesterday I learned that he used that exact model on Appetite for that song. Very interesting. 

(I was searching for the guitar he used on the Lies' version of You're Crazy, and didn't find anything. Sounds like a strat to me. I recorded a cover with my LP and the singlecoil simulation effect and sounded closer)

Agree. It was fun, but he had a lot of pacing problems, he even had to add an extra beat at the ending.

You mean proshot or just soundboard recording?

Just an audience shot video, but I mean that particular performance was good.

12 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I will say that TWAT was quite good, but the rest of the set was a bit of a yoyo situation "he's bad here, oh he sounded alright on that bit of the 2nd verse, bad again, wow that was great etc" it's another 5/10 Selects. Brownstone was crap, YCBM is a bizarre one to include when they stop after chorus 1... he actually did sound better on verse II though so maybe we should push like crazy on the barriers during YCBM going forward at shows😄

Yeah it's always inconsistent with Axl. At least with Frank etc he does the weird stuff in the same places. I don't think they should've included that YCBM either.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mr. address said:

GNR are like the Stones, quite consistent:

The percentage of good/bad performances of any song on any night are the same today as 30 and 50 years ago, respectively.

Both used to play faster, but that's life.

I disagree. GNR are definitely not as good as in the 90s imo and they also played most of the songs  faster during NITL, than they did before 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SAU3R said:

I disagree. GNR are definitely not as good as in the 90s imo and they also played most of the songs  faster during NITL, than they did before 

They are not even as good as 2002 or 2006.

• Like 1

I made the mistake of listening to YCBM - noting I've barely listened to anything in NITL other than the Adler appearances before.

I've got to say the criticisms are fair - you can't even tell its Axl singing - it just sounds like air escaping out of a hole most of the time and him struggling to keep up. And the drumming is shocking - no feeling there at all. My favourite part of the song is the last part, breaking down my back etc, and that section is disgraceful. Adler's band at M3 did it infinitely better.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

I wouldn’t say that about bucket & morello. When they do it it fits the songs arch/climax the other guys you mentioned 100% noodling chicken gobble 

Morello. Doesn't remind me. Case closed.

So glad I refunded my tickets for this upcoming tour and didn’t buy new ones after covid. Straight up Axl hasn’t sounded good in almost a decade, an embarrassing shell of himself and personally the band just isn’t gritty anymore. It’s over polished.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, circusboy666 said:

So glad I refunded my tickets for this upcoming tour and didn’t buy new ones after covid. Straight up Axl hasn’t sounded good in almost a decade, an embarrassing shell of himself and personally the band just isn’t gritty anymore. It’s over polished.

They must be aware of this I dont get it.  This is not rock n roll anymore and I just dont understand why they are subjecting 'Guns n Roses the most dangerous band in the world' to the decline of what once was something really great, they really must not care.  I am perplexed, I hope I dont go on to treat any of my achievements in this way.

• Like 1

Get rid of this bunch of cash grabbing whores and go back to Nu era. There was at least some excitement and unknown with them. This current lineup is so predictable and unfortunately it’s the same unenthused performance each time overall. Same song and dance.  I desperately miss Tommy and Robin.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

Far from peak...

As far as Axls vocals and the intensity of the shows I think 2006 was really up there. I didn't get to see them in 90s and 80s so I can only judge from footage but I think Rock AM Ring is one of gnrs best recorded shows. My opinion, but I obviously love the uyi era performances too

1 hour ago, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

Go on then. Elaborate? 🧐

I understand that these were good shows for the new GNR era fans. But for somebody like me, who doesn't like this era, these shows just weren't near the bands peak, at least this is how I felt about them.

Edited by Free Bird