'Not in this Lifetime' Selects - Overview

15 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I got to hand it to Slash, he actually played Bucket's solo OK on that show. He was not Bumblefoot, but he did alright. :)

I think at the NYC show he was even closer to BH's original solo but you'll never see him do it exactly like the original. He's always kind sloppy and I think he plays it bluesier. The first solo from the 38:39 mark is pretty awesome I think.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Morello. Doesn't remind me. Case closed.

That song is so close to being perfect but the solo is a bit too much. And I say that as a huge Rage fan.

Slash's TWAT solos just show how extremely overrated he is as a guitarist. I don't expect studio quality at a live performanc,e but compared to what any other guitarist before him has done with this song he sounds like an amateur trying to mimick his way through the song.

37 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

Slash's TWAT solos just show how extremely overrated he is as a guitarist. I don't expect studio quality at a live performanc,e but compared to what any other guitarist before him has done with this song he sounds like an amateur trying to mimick his way through the song.

He has certainly performed it the worst out of all GN'R guitarists, i think. It is hard coming from Bumblefoot's perfect renditions of the solos to Slash's disheveled monstrosity, lol.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beto 22 said:

I think 2010 was a good year, even with Ashba

2006 was way better. There was a real hype around the band, Axl looked and sounded phenomenal (he didn't look great in 2010). By 2010 the album was already out almost 2 years, ashba was a joke. The hype was gone. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Rovim said:

Bucket's Twat outro is really long and there are a ton of licks to remember. Slash is probably not going to sit down and study it like Bumble did, it's just not his approach so he does his best to capture the overall feel of it after probably listening to the studio version a few times and improvising most of it. I think it sounds messy cause he plays certain licks from a section of the solo, improvises some stuff and repeats this process until the song comes to its end.

It's not that long, and it's really not that hard. I mean, 95% is just a straight forward stuff that Slash clearly knew, but tried to put his own spin. The other 5% is a bit technical but still far from the weirdest shit Buckethead recorded for GNR, like Riad's outro. 

I strongly believe that Slash is totally capable of playing the solo note for note with no problems. The problem is that he doesn't care. 

10 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

It's not that long, and it's really not that hard. I mean, 95% is just a straight forward stuff that Slash clearly knew, but tried to put his own spin. The other 5% is a bit technical but still far from the weirdest shit Buckethead recorded for GNR, like Riad's outro. 

I strongly believe that Slash is totally capable of playing the solo note for note with no problems. The problem is that he doesn't care. 

well... it's probably not technically difficult to play for Slash and honestly I didn't think it was but it's a 2 minute solo and there are many licks that you must play in order for it to keep its structure and movement. There is a lot to remember is the main point imo and yes, Slash probably didn't care enough to sit and listen to it and internalize the solo but that is not his approach anyway.

He rarely does this and also not very often required to play solos that other people came up with. The same thing happened with his own piece, Safari Inn. The few times he played it live it was messy cause he probably didn't want to sit and learn all the parts. Why would he do it for Twat if he didn't do it for his own work.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

I thought Slash’s TWAT solo was great actually. I don’t expect Slash to try to imitate Buckethead, he has his own style of playing that he’s famous for. He played the solo in his own way, while still keeping Buckets melody in place and I think it worked really well. I wish he took that approach for the TIL solo and other Chinese solos which he doesn’t seem to try to recreate at all

• Like 3

Slash just doesn't like to play solos (especially other people's solos) note for note. It's just how he is.

He said he had played the Sympathy For The Devil solo his own way and got pissed off when Axl asked him to play the note for note to the Keith Richards solo.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

2006 was way better. There was a real hype around the band, Axl looked and sounded phenomenal (he didn't look great in 2010). By 2010 the album was already out almost 2 years, ashba was a joke. The hype was gone. 

The first half of 2010 was the peak of nuGNR as a touring band IMO. Varied setlists, lots of new songs, surprise shows... Axl sounded great and looked more like "classic Axl" than he did in 2006.

• GNFNR 1

42 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

He said he had played the Sympathy For The Devil solo his own way and got pissed off when Axl asked him to play the note for note to the Keith Richards solo.

Listening to Slash approach on Chinese songs, Axl was 100% right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

Why would he do it for Twat if he didn't do it for his own work.

He fucks up his own material is "his right"

Fucking up other people work is at least unprofessional

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I always laugh when I read shit like "Slash just plays the solos his own way". When Robin and Bucket played the old solos "their way", they got nothing but shit from most fans. But Slash gets away with it because he's Slash. :rolleyes:

Exactly.

Robin's solo in November Rain is a good example of learnin' the parts and playin in its own way...

Slash take on Twat is bad and sloppy even in the part he learnt

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beto 22 said:

He fucks up his own material is "his right"

Fucking up other people work is at least unprofessional

if the goal is to play it 1:1, but it doesn't seem to be for Slash. Some players are not interested in doing that. I think improvisation with some key licks in between is the very thing that led Slash to come up with brilliant performances and it seems to be the way he wants to continue to approach it and also cause he seems to enjoy it.

he is talented enough to go for it which is exactly what he is doing and again, it is someone elses work, I think Slash wants to "Slashify" it rather than giving you an accurate representation of the studio versions. With Twat, he even kept it closer to the original in both solos. I don't see a problem with it, I think it's cool we have live versions of a lot of the Chinese tunes with Slash's spin on them, even if it's hard to top the great shit Bucket and Robin came up with. (and didn't Robin do the same thing with many of Slash's solos?)

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

2006 is the last time I spent solid cash on this band as a touring output. Multiple festivals and shows. Also, I was 18 at the time with minimal outgoings and steady income….but that’s beside the point. Memories of Download, Rock am Ring, Wembley, the club show after Wembley, it was a good year. 

28 minutes ago, Rovim said:

if the goal is to play it 1:1, but it doesn't seem to be for Slash. Some players are not interested in doing that. I think improvisation with some key licks in between is the very thing that led Slash to come up with brilliant performances and it seems to be the way he wants to continue to approach it and also cause he seems to enjoy it.

he is talented enough to go for it which is exactly what he is doing and again, it is someone elses work, I think Slash wants to "Slashified" it rather than giving you an accurate representation of the studio versions. With Twat, he even kept it closer to the original in both solos. I don't see a problem with it, I think it's cool we have live versions of a lot of the Chinese tunes with Slash's spin on them, even if it's hard to top the great shit Bucket and Robin came up with. (and didn't Robin do the same thing with many of Slash's solos?)

The problem is Slash hasnt had a  brilliant performance in a very long time. And thats affect his "takes" on songs he didn't write.

So learnin them in a proper way would helped him a lot.

Slash hasnt been brilliant live at least since VR first tour

And no, Robins never did what Slash has been doin since the reunion

Edited by Beto 22