Jump to content

'Not in this Lifetime' Selects - Overview


Recommended Posts

I'm late to the party, but wow, Slash's solo he wrote for Better is so amazing (I do enjoy the original, but damn, that's a cool take). I had never seen TWAT live with this lineup. Slash did a great job on the huge solo section and I though it was cool to hear him play those amazing recorded leads live, though you could tell if they played it more, he would absolutely nail it.

Edited by Ak1nney
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Ak1nney said:

I'm late to the party, but wow, Slash's solo he wrote for Better is so amazing (I do enjoy the original, but damn, that's a cool take). I had never seen TWAT live with this lineup. Slash did a great job on the huge solo section and I though it was cool to hear him play those amazing recorded leads live, though you could tell if they played it more, he would absolutely nail it.

Be careful with unpopular opinions here. If certain people say Slash sounds awful on CD songs and that he's noodling than you can't just claim the opposite. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Be careful with unpopular opinions here. If certain people say Slash sounds awful on CD songs and that he's noodling than you can't just claim the opposite. 

Haha yeah. I try not to take sides with the CD material. I like the studio versions a lot. I mean, come on, Finck and Buckethead were fucking amazing on the leads on that album. I think Better is... better with the simple, yet cool intro and Slash's solo. There Was a Time had some room for improvement, but seeing as they didn't play it much, I think Slash did a damn good job on the solo. I'm a player of nearly 20 years and can appreciate it from a guitarist perspective. Not perfect with T.W.A.T., but all things considered, pretty damn awesome. 

Edited by Ak1nney
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ak1nney said:

Haha yeah. I try not to take sides with the CD material. I like the studio versions a lot. I mean, come on, Finck and Buckethead were fucking amazing on the leads on that album. I think Better is... better with the simple, yet cool intro and Slash's solo. There Was a Time had some room for improvement, but seeing as they didn't play it much, I think Slash did a damn good job on the solo. I'm a player of nearly 20 years and can appreciate it from a guitarist perspective. Not perfect with T.W.A.T., but all things considered, pretty damn awesome. 

Going to have a listen now, don't think I've actually seen a decent version of better. 

Also FYI all, someone post proshot RIR 2017 on YouTube a couple days ago. Watch it before it gets pulled:) 

No links due to a vague recollection that it breaks the rules. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Ak1nney said:

Haha yeah. I try not to take sides with the CD material. I like the studio versions a lot. I mean, come on, Finck and Buckethead were fucking amazing on the leads on that album. I think Better is... better with the simple, yet cool intro and Slash's solo. There Was a Time had some room for improvement, but seeing as they didn't play it much, I think Slash did a damn good job on the solo. I'm a player of nearly 20 years and can appreciate it from a guitarist perspective. Not perfect with T.W.A.T., but all things considered, pretty damn awesome. 

It's no secret that CD isn't my favorite album but songs like Better, TWAT and Sorry are blessed with amazing guitar work, no doubt.

Fincks Better solo from the studio recording is superior to Slash's live renditions imo. And while his takes on TWAT and Sorry aren't perfect - the studio solos of Buckethead are virtuosic and great - Slash put his own spin on them and made them great by playing them in his style. And I just love the Slash style. It's raw and it's bluesy, and it's rock n' roll. It belongs to GNR.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, hudsonsaul said:

Going to have a listen now, don't think I've actually seen a decent version of better. 

Also FYI all, someone post proshot RIR 2017 on YouTube a couple days ago. Watch it before it gets pulled:) 

No links due to a vague recollection that it breaks the rules. 

Some might argue it deserves to be pulled! 🤣

Apart from a couple of tracks, it’s a very bad gig that folk should not see. Which is super irritating seeing there is a lack of pro-shot footage from NITL.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, hudsonsaul said:

Going to have a listen now, don't think I've actually seen a decent version of better. 

Also FYI all, someone post proshot RIR 2017 on YouTube a couple days ago. Watch it before it gets pulled:) 

No links due to a vague recollection that it breaks the rules. 

You need to check the pro shots from 2006 or some of the cameraphone footage from 2009/2010 even the the 2011 and 2012 proshots were quite good London/Vegas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, t-p-d-a said:

I'm ready for the next NITL Selects Video. What do you think when will come the next video. I want to hear Hard Skool the first performance and Absurd

Noo the 1st performance is the worst, the last one is the one you want.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, t-p-d-a said:

I'm ready for the next NITL Selects Video. What do you think when will come the next video. I want to hear Hard Skool the first performance and Absurd

 

The first performance was awful... they could make a decent Selects from the last show in Florida though. Hardschool, Absurd, You're Crazy, I Wanna Be Your Dog, maybe 1 or 2 others...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alexmee239 said:

Listening to TWAT on the selects gives me chills to this day. Unreal how good Axl sounded in 2016 and people still complained. Nowadays the same people are defending his atrocious 2021 vocals.

Well, he sounds bad at the beginning but awesome at the end. I like this version too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Alexmee239 said:

Listening to TWAT on the selects gives me chills to this day. Unreal how good Axl sounded in 2016 and people still complained. Nowadays the same people are defending his atrocious 2021 vocals.

I wouldn’t say atrocious…definitely inconsistent though from song to song. I’m glad when I see them next year it’s a fair few gigs into the run which also helps.

Edited by DTJ80
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, t-p-d-a said:

I'm ready for the next NITL Selects Video. What do you think when will come the next video. I want to hear Hard Skool the first performance and Absurd

HS and Absurd were not played during NITL tour though so I doubt we’ll get them in a Selects, maybe in a different video

I‘d still love to see Patience from Glendale 2016, that one kicked ass!

  • Like 3
  • GNFNR 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...