Jump to content

'Not in this Lifetime' Selects - Overview


Recommended Posts

On 4/11/2021 at 3:16 PM, Kranich said:

Am I the only one who likes Fortus solo in nightrain more than Izzy's? 

 

I still prefer Bucket's take

  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This should not be a discussion thread, rather an overview of all the 'NITL Selects' they uploaded so far. I will update this thread when a new one is uploaded.    Salt Lake City, UT - 29.10

Maybe it sounds bland to you. To me it's the strongest SMKC record to date and an so called uninspired Slash managed to carry the whole GNR show on his own shoulders as he was simply the highlight of

My friend came with me to the Gothenburg show in 2018, it was his first since the Stockholm show in 2006. He loves Appetite. After the show, I asked him what he thought of it. He was thrilled and in h

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Dean said:

image.png.c4706ea9c8ff6ae8437adaa36b76837b.png

Just saw a documentary on the Macho Man this past weekend, it was really good. It featured his little brother, Leaping Lanny Poffo. He said that Randy always looked out for him and if people remember his name it's because they remember Randy's name first. It was very cool, sorry to sidetrack the thread.

  • GNFNR 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Just saw a documentary on the Macho Man this past weekend, it was really good. It featured his little brother, Leaping Lanny Poffo. He said that Randy always looked out for him and if people remember his name it's because they remember Randy's name first. It was very cool, sorry to sidetrack the thread.

I think I've seen that. I loved how he mentioned that Randy refused the HOF in his lifetime unless he went in as part of the Poffo family with his Dad and Lanny. Lanny, now surpassing him in years and deeming himself the older sibling, took it upon himself to give the fans what they wanted, and that was for Macho Madness to take his rightful place along side the greats! God bless him.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Just saw a documentary on the Macho Man this past weekend, it was really good. It featured his little brother, Leaping Lanny Poffo. He said that Randy always looked out for him and if people remember his name it's because they remember Randy's name first. It was very cool, sorry to sidetrack the thread.

What was the name of it?  I would love to check it out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shepP said:

What was the name of it?  I would love to check it out.

It's on the Reelz channel, it's called Autopsy: The Last Hours of Randy Savage. It's on again tonight at midnight eastern time. They've done a lot of episodes with a medical examiner, Dr. Michael Hunter, going over a person's life and possible cause of death. It's pretty interesting.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lame ass security said:

It's on the Reelz channel, it's called Autopsy: The Last Hours of Randy Savage. It's on again tonight at midnight eastern time. They've done a lot of episodes with a medical examiner, Dr. Michael Hunter, going over a person's life and possible cause of death. It's pretty interesting.

Just checked, it's also airing at 9pm eastern time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DTV88 said:

I prefer Izzy’s take on his own solo :D

Yeah, me too. I just said that I prefer Bucket over Richard 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2021 at 3:41 PM, Sweersa said:

Fortus is currently the most capable guitar player in the band.

Tell us more.

Capable in what? Playing cover songs and parts he didn't wrote? I mean... is he the one with the best technique? Probably... But what did the "currently best guitar player" do for the legacy of this band, that makes him the best one? Playing notes faster? 

Fortus did nothing than playing other people's parts. He's one of thousands of guitar players with a better technique than Slash and yet he isn't able to create something on his own. On most parts he remains a disturbing factor on the stage instead and plays parts Slash allows him to play.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Tell us more.

Capable in what? Playing cover songs and parts he didn't wrote? I mean... is he the one with the best technique? Probably... But what did the "currently best guitar player" do for the legacy of this band, that makes him the best one? Playing notes faster? 

Fortus did nothing than playing other people's parts. He's one of thousands of guitar players with a better technique than Slash and yet he isn't able to create something on his own. On most parts he remains a disturbing factor on the stage instead and plays parts Slash allows him to play.

 

Nobody is denying that Slash is the most legendary guitar player in the band, but his current playing is a far cry from what made him legendary.... the last SMKC album was bland and he sounds pretty bored/uninspired with GNR. Slash nowadays is good but inconsistent, and Fortus does sound better at times IMO.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Tell us more.

Capable in what? Playing cover songs and parts he didn't wrote? I mean... is he the one with the best technique? Probably... But what did the "currently best guitar player" do for the legacy of this band, that makes him the best one? Playing notes faster? 

Fortus did nothing than playing other people's parts. He's one of thousands of guitar players with a better technique than Slash and yet he isn't able to create something on his own. On most parts he remains a disturbing factor on the stage instead and plays parts Slash allows him to play.

Stylistically I prefer Slash. Legacy / material obviously Slash too. As far as the more capable Fortus is clearly ahead. Fortus doesn't have any obvious treasure trove of original music to say "he did this" I just haven't listened to his other bands. Slash is mostly a better player in my opinion, but Richard is a bit more accurate in other areas that count too. Richard rarely plays a bend out of tune, Slash can be all over the shop and on some of the biggest solos KOHD, NV being the two biggest culprits.

If we're talking ability and not including songwriting, Richard in 2021 is better. If we make no exclusions Slash wins easily just for the songs he wrote and the classic solos. I don't think Slash is as good as he was, he's lost a step in the last 10+ yrs. I know some of ye will disagree and say he's tighter now, but I'd argue that's he's a bit sloppier and rarely captures lightning in a bottle when he improvises (in comparison to the 90s up to VR. I used to love Richards playing but he's kinda got a bag of licks and he just keeps playing them... that nasty chicken pickin' one?? That was fine in james bond and passable in his other solo spot, but everywhere else it sounds like the new lick that he's learnt and is shoe-horning it in regardless of it fitting. All and all, neither are that great now🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

 

Nobody is denying that Slash is the most legendary guitar player in the band, but his current playing is a far cry from what made him legendary.... the last SMKC album was bland and he sounds pretty bored/uninspired with GNR. Slash nowadays is good but inconsistent, and Fortus does sound better at times IMO.

Maybe it sounds bland to you. To me it's the strongest SMKC record to date and an so called uninspired Slash managed to carry the whole GNR show on his own shoulders as he was simply the highlight of the reunion shows. Of course Axl's important too, but he is a weak link more often than he's shining nowadays.

An supposedly uninspired Slash is still way ahead of every other guitar player that has played GNR songs beside of Axl. The notes, the sound, the style. Nothing Richard comes close too. Hell he isn't able to play Izzy's parts correctly. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Maybe it sounds bland to you. To me it's the strongest SMKC record to date and an so called uninspired Slash managed to carry the whole GNR show on his own shoulders as he was simply the highlight of the reunion shows. Of course Axl's important too, but he is a weak link more often than he's shining nowadays.

An supposedly uninspired Slash is still way ahead of every other guitar player that has played GNR songs beside of Axl. The notes, the sound, the style. Nothing Richard comes close too. Hell he isn't able to play Izzy's parts correctly. 

Every guitarist has his own style and I would rather hear Richard playing his own take than being a copy cat. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Tell us more.

Capable in what? Playing cover songs and parts he didn't wrote? I mean... is he the one with the best technique? Probably... But what did the "currently best guitar player" do for the legacy of this band, that makes him the best one? Playing notes faster? 

Fortus did nothing than playing other people's parts. He's one of thousands of guitar players with a better technique than Slash and yet he isn't able to create something on his own. On most parts he remains a disturbing factor on the stage instead and plays parts Slash allows him to play.

From a technical standpoint. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

On par with World On Fire don't you think?

Different but probably similarly strong, yes.

54 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

From a technical standpoint. 

Definitely 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sosso said:

Every guitarist has his own style and I would rather hear Richard playing his own take than being a copy cat. 

Copy cat or not. His take doesn't fit the song IMO. Nobody should use Izzy's parts to compete with Slash. That's not what they are about, they're made for doing the songs justice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...