'Not in this Lifetime' Selects - Overview

6 minutes ago, agustingloger said:

I've seen people crying over Slash's solos on the reunion shows here un Argentina. I don't think anyone would ever cry over Richard's solos. 

But yeah he may be more capable 😂

Richard plays the Bucket stuff well.

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

Copy cat or not. His take doesn't fit the song IMO. Nobody should use Izzy's parts to compete with Slash. That's not what they are about, they're made for doing the songs justice.

He played this solo before the reunion already and has no reason to compete with Slash. 

10 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Maybe it sounds bland to you. To me it's the strongest SMKC record to date and an so called uninspired Slash managed to carry the whole GNR show on his own shoulders as he was simply the highlight of the reunion shows. Of course Axl's important too, but he is a weak link more often than he's shining nowadays.

An supposedly uninspired Slash is still way ahead of every other guitar player that has played GNR songs beside of Axl. The notes, the sound, the style. Nothing Richard comes close too. Hell he isn't able to play Izzy's parts correctly. 

He isn't able? I think he just decides not to replicate the parts completely from the album. If Izzy was playing the parts 30yrs later he would have adapted them too. IF he desired to, or was asked to play it note for note. He could and he'd probably work out the exact combo of amp, guitar and eq settings Izzy used. 

The solo Richard does in Nightrain is legitimately good, I can remember it note for note in my head so it's clearly catchy whereas other guitar players who rewrite full solos have made unmemorable parts (Slash on everything but Sorry).

You are correct that Slash had most of the work on that stage during NITL but he also caused a lot of people to.go for piss/bar breaks. The man just goes on and on. There's "feeling it" and then there's boring and for me and many others it went boring after about 1.5mins of his 5 minute blues solos, and Godfather was atrocious back in the 90s and remains so. Axl was mostly shite though so of course Slash looks like the shining hero. He is (mostly) and he isn't. Lots of people commented preferring Richard on the night, probably because his solo opportunities were short and nobody had a chance to get tired of him. If he played as much as Slash they would get tired, but obviously nobody would want to hear an equal split between Slash and Richard.

I think in general the this guy vs this guy thing is stupid. They are all great at what they do. And they all have different styles. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Maybe it sounds bland to you. To me it's the strongest SMKC record to date and an so called uninspired Slash managed to carry the whole GNR show on his own shoulders as he was simply the highlight of the reunion shows. Of course Axl's important too, but he is a weak link more often than he's shining nowadays.

An supposedly uninspired Slash is still way ahead of every other guitar player that has played GNR songs beside of Axl. The notes, the sound, the style. Nothing Richard comes close too. Hell he isn't able to play Izzy's parts correctly. 

There's some good riffs and solos but yea, overall I find it bland, and Myles really doesn't help.

I would say the fact that Slash has carried the shows since 2017 says more about the rest of the band than it does about Slash, though. Axl got more noticeably worse, but Slash's playing seems bored and disconnected from the band at times too. Just because he's not as bad as Axl or Frank doesn't mean he sounds great.

Whether you like Richard's style or not, your last sentence is a joke :lol:

12 hours ago, Stress Fracture said:

Melissa is currently the most capable singer in the band but we’re still waiting on new music from Axl.

Haha- you’re probably right about that but I do like Duff in Loaded 

11 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

There's some good riffs and solos but yea, overall I find it bland, and Myles really doesn't help.

I would say the fact that Slash has carried the shows since 2017 says more about the rest of the band than it does about Slash, though. Axl got more noticeably worse, but Slash's playing seems bored and disconnected from the band at times too. Just because he's not as bad as Axl or Frank doesn't mean he sounds great.

Whether you like Richard's style or not, your last sentence is a joke :lol:

Of course I said it in an exaggerated way and he is able to play it note for note with his technical abilities but to me it looks like he isn't able to see what the song needs. Otherwise he wouldn't "shred" on Izzy's part.

I still don't see this "Slash's weak/uninspired" thing. I've seen him in both GNR and in SMKC live and can say he's still on fire. I personally prefer his take on RQ for example more with SMKC than with GNR, but is it because he's uninspired with GNR or is it because of the arrangements within the both bands? I don't know. What I admit is there were a few songs where Slash sounded horrendous. Best example here is Yesterdays. That was really bad. But overall he was great I think.

13 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

He isn't able? I think he just decides not to replicate the parts completely from the album. If Izzy was playing the parts 30yrs later he would have adapted them too. IF he desired to, or was asked to play it note for note. He could and he'd probably work out the exact combo of amp, guitar and eq settings Izzy used. 

The solo Richard does in Nightrain is legitimately good, I can remember it note for note in my head so it's clearly catchy whereas other guitar players who rewrite full solos have made unmemorable parts (Slash on everything but Sorry).

You are correct that Slash had most of the work on that stage during NITL but he also caused a lot of people to.go for piss/bar breaks. The man just goes on and on. There's "feeling it" and then there's boring and for me and many others it went boring after about 1.5mins of his 5 minute blues solos, and Godfather was atrocious back in the 90s and remains so. Axl was mostly shite though so of course Slash looks like the shining hero. He is (mostly) and he isn't. Lots of people commented preferring Richard on the night, probably because his solo opportunities were short and nobody had a chance to get tired of him. If he played as much as Slash they would get tired, but obviously nobody would want to hear an equal split between Slash and Richard.

I think in general the this guy vs this guy thing is stupid. They are all great at what they do. And they all have different styles. 

If you think Richard's part on Nightrain is good than more kudos to you. There are people who prefer Buckedheads feelingless Nightrain solo over Slash's soulful one. It's something I have to accept but I can't understand because the GNR I love were never a band ... it was never about technical ability, it was always from the heart.

As for Slash's unmemorable solos on CD stuff... well it's unmemorable stuff from the start. :P

I think he improved CD itself, did good on Sorry and Better (but both originals were better), and had issues with TWAT but killed it in Madison Sqare Garden in 2017. And I know I'm pretty much alone with my opinion but his 2016 takes on TIL were an improvement to the original as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

If you think Richard's part on Nightrain is good than more kudos to you. There are people who prefer Buckedheads feelingless Nightrain solo over Slash's soulful one. It's something I have to accept but I can't understand because the GNR I love were never a band ... it was never about technical ability, it was always from the heart.

As for Slash's unmemorable solos on CD stuff... well it's unmemorable stuff from the start. :P

I think he improved CD itself, did good on Sorry and Better (but both originals were better), and had issues with TWAT but killed it in Madison Sqare Garden in 2017. And I know I'm pretty much alone with my opinion but his 2016 takes on TIL were an improvement to the original as well.

The original solos in this I love are as good as some of Slash's best ballad solos. They just are. The shit he plays (including msg performance) is emotionless dribble in comparison. You're hilarious that you chastise bucket for playing technical but he's probably more restrained on the outro of nightrain than Slash is on TIL. Just to point out one is a ballad, and the other is an up tempo rocker...

Slash 2016-2020 was clueless, can't see that improving with people like you cheering it on. I get it. You love Slash. Me too. But that you can't see that he's off his medication playing those and some of the classic material (the shite he plays on Yesterdays these days being a prime example🤣🤣🤣), I don't know what to say, but your fandom his reached peak👏only song he improved was Madagascar IMO.

Also, if they weren't memorable it's crazy why so many people keep bringing up how he's butchering the solos. I guarantee you could probably hum 1 or 2 of them from start to finish. I'd love to see anyone try and hum.Slash's "improvements" that's a feat only Larvelle from police academy could attempt😄

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

You hang out with strange people. No one ever said that to me. Most barely even notice him.

True that I hang out with strange people, but they are all musicians and they go to a lot of gigs and the consensus was "Great he's back, but would he ever stop noodling it completely ruins the momentum". Anybody who doesn't agree that there's a huge sag in the middle of gnr sets is crazy or on a lot of drugs.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

You hang out with strange people. No one ever said that to me. Most barely even notice him.

My friend came with me to the Gothenburg show in 2018, it was his first since the Stockholm show in 2006. He loves Appetite. After the show, I asked him what he thought of it. He was thrilled and in his words “I can’t believe I finally got to see Izzy” 😂😂😂

He wasn’t impressed when I told him it’s the same guitarist he seen in ‘06.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

The original solos in this I love are as good as some of Slash's best ballad solos. They just are. The shit he plays (including msg performance) is emotionless dribble in comparison. You're hilarious that you chastise bucket for playing technical but he's probably more restrained on the outro of nightrain than Slash is on TIL. Just to point out one is a ballad, and the other is an up tempo rocker...

Slash 2016-2020 was clueless, can't see that improving with people like you cheering it on. I get it. You love Slash. Me too. But that you can't see that he's off his medication playing those and some of the classic material (the shite he plays on Yesterdays these days being a prime example🤣🤣🤣), I don't know what to say, but your fandom his reached peak👏only song he improved was Madagascar IMO.

Also, if they weren't memorable it's crazy why so many people keep bringing up how he's butchering the solos. I guarantee you could probably hum 1 or 2 of them from start to finish. I'd love to see anyone try and hum.Slash's "improvements" that's a feat only Larvelle from police academy could attempt😄

I'm sorry that I have a different taste than you. Do you feel better now? 

"The just are" lol.

You know we're talking about music and taste? There's no "just is", even when it's hard for you to understand. 

3 hours ago, Free Bird said:

You know we're talking about music and taste? There's no "just is", even when it's hard for you to understand. 

You just did the same regarding the CD solos: “As for Slash's unmemorable solos on CD stuff... well it's unmemorable stuff from the start. :P

You obviously have a pair of malfunctioning ears, because Slash doesn’t sound good these days and it’s has been like that for a LONG time. He still shines on songs like Estranged, NR, Don’t Cry, etc, but he’s clueless on the “fast” songs and plain down pathetic when he has to improvise. The CD solos are unprofessional, to the point were no musician in the CD era reached that point of “dontgiveashitness” with Slash’s solos. It’s just plain disrespectful to Axl. He had 4 years to sit down and work on his own take on those songs, but apparently it’s easier to just noodle something different every night.

With that being said. I love Slash. I go to every concert they hit in my town with MK&C. But I also loved the CD era. Slash still plays nice but he lost that “thing” that made him one of the best. I think that it left when VR ended. Early 2000 was peak Slash IMO.

You just hate the CD era too much and love Slash too much. Your opinions are too based on that, to the point where sometimes I don't know if you are actually trolling or not.  I’ve seen it on lots of your posts. Thankfully it’s just a bunch of people like you! Here, at least. There’s plenty of opinions like yours coming from soccer moms on Facebook! :lol:

PS: and yes. Fortus nowadays, in a live setting, is much better than Slash. It’s just the truth. There’s no opinion about that. And I’m OK with it. Slash is actually HAPPY of playing with someone like him, he stated it as “challenging” in lots of interviews. He even wanted him for his own band at some point.

PS2: just wanted to add that the "Slash Blues Jam" that was added to the NITL Tour in 2019 is one of the greatest things that ever happened to the tour. Go and listen to the Hollywood Palladium one for example, it's actually amazing.

Edited by GNRfanMILO
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

unmemorable solos on CD stuff... well it's unmemorable stuff from the start.

It's not bad but pretty forgettable, that album didn't get many replays here, it certainly didn't set the world on fire

Edited by moreblack

23 hours ago, agustingloger said:

I've seen people crying over Slash's solos on the reunion shows here un Argentina. I don't think anyone would ever cry over Richard's solos. 

But yeah he may be more capable 😂

Sadness brings these kind of reaction

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GNRfanMILO said:

You just did the same regarding the CD solos: “As for Slash's unmemorable solos on CD stuff... well it's unmemorable stuff from the start. :P

You obviously have a pair of malfunctioning ears, because Slash doesn’t sound good these days and it’s has been like that for a LONG time. He still shines on songs like Estranged, NR, Don’t Cry, etc, but he’s clueless on the “fast” songs and plain down pathetic when he has to improvise. The CD solos are unprofessional, to the point were no musician in the CD era reached that point of “dontgiveashitness” with Slash’s solos. It’s just plain disrespectful to Axl. He had 4 years to sit down and work on his own take on those songs, but apparently it’s easier to just noodle something different every night.

With that being said. I love Slash. I go to every concert they hit in my town with MK&C. But I also loved the CD era. Slash still plays nice but he lost that “thing” that made him one of the best. I think that it left when VR ended. Early 2000 was peak Slash IMO.

You just hate the CD era too much and love Slash too much. Your opinions are too based on that, to the point where sometimes I don't know if you are actually trolling or not.  I’ve seen it on lots of your posts. Thankfully it’s just a bunch of people like you! Here, at least. There’s plenty of opinions like yours coming from soccer moms on Facebook! :lol:

PS: and yes. Fortus nowadays, in a live setting, is much better than Slash. It’s just the truth. There’s no opinion about that. And I’m OK with it. Slash is actually HAPPY of playing with someone like him, he stated it as “challenging” in lots of interviews. He even wanted him for his own band at some point.

PS2: just wanted to add that the "Slash Blues Jam" that was added to the NITL Tour in 2019 is one of the greatest things that ever happened to the tour. Go and listen to the Hollywood Palladium one for example, it's actually amazing.

You didn't notice the smiley after my sentence? I was obviously joking.

Usually I tend to write "imo", "to me", or similar things. You and everybody else, you don't have to agree with me. I don't care even if you prefer DJ Ashba playing Patience. All I care for is when people don't know the difference between an opinion and a fact and spread nonsense this way.

It has nothing to do with "You hate CD and love Slash". I have ears and an opinion. When I say I prefer Slash's take on TIL than I say it because it's exactly what I feel. 

That's why I say Fincks original Better solo is way better than Slash's. I'm not following something blindly only because you can't imagine somebody dislikes something you love. All you do is discredit yourself with such claims.

I don't think Slash plays any of the CD material better than Bucket or Robin, but both Robin and Bucket frequently played Slash's parts in a way I liked more. I think it comes down to Bucket/Robin were more respectful of the material and legacy of Guns and Slash than Slash is of CD stuff. But I would also suggest that Slash doesn't seem very interested or respected in his own material for much of NITL, either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To me Slash is anything but uninspiring. I'm still really into his playing and I love seeing him getting to that zone that only other guitarists know about. As for people not liking his playing or improvising nowadays, that's cool too and totally subjective, no point arguing over like one's opinion is fact. 

• Like 2

To be fair, the whole band sounded bored by 2019. Slash had some good solo spots, but you can tell they just couldn't give less of a fuck about playing some of those songs for the millionth time... and I can't say I blame them!

Slash hasn't improved any of the CD stuff though. When even DJ Ashba plays a better TIL solo, you know something ain't right :lol:

On CD solos he sounds like he's halfway between trying to play something fast, and something melodic, but he doesn't have much direction and the result is usually not very good. I don't get the praise for his solo on Sorry from the last Selects.

10 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I'm sorry that I have a different taste than you. Do you feel better now? 

"The just are" lol.

I'm not arguing taste, I'm saying Slash isn't untouchable. I liked Slash when he played with some semblance of restraint.

I've said it a 1000 times. There are accepted fundamentals of guitar soloing. Accepted "right" ways and accepted "wrong" ways. Playing a thousand notes over a ballad all the way through with minimal pauses is bad in everybody's book, with the exception of shredders. The original (TIL) builds and flows, slash's starts at the top and stays there, zero dynamics and it's really hard to recall a single luck he played. Play licks over the vocal line? Another example of things not to do but if you listen to the verses of sorry he's playing all over them and interfering with the vocal... whether Axl is good or not is beside the point, the vocal is always priority and you didn't step on it. He steps all over it.

I honestly think Slash could turn his volume up, squat over the strings and take a shit on the strings and you would still think it's gods gift to the instrument... and no, that's not how CD sounds😄

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

You put it better than me, bit this is exact feelings on Slash.