New Josh Freese interview: talks about GNR, Buckethead, CD

17 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I think Axl on his own is easily an Arena act. As much as I consider everything from 86 onwards as GNR, from 99-2014 the tickets sold were on the back on Axls pulling power, not the other members of the band. The voice sells tickets, adding a very popular hatted man into the mix and you are back in stadiums! Slash as a personality is more popular, but his ticket selling power is not as good as Axl. Unfortunately we'll never get to see Axl out as a solo artist to test his name value in the market! but I'd guess most promoters would happily book him in the o2, 3arena, forum, MSG. Think the hardcore GNR nuts alone would sell half or more of those places.

Yep😄

I have to respectfully disagree with that. Axl and Slash are some of my childhood idols. When I attended the concert at the IZOD Center in 2011, I saw many empty seats. It was very unusual for that many empty seats for a GNR concert in the NJ/NYC area. Additionally, GNR was relegated to the IZOD Center and not Prudential. At the time, the IZOD Center was going to be closing soon and mothballed.  I was thinking at the time that would be the end of GNR. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That last point is definitely not for sure. It's not your idea of what a Guns N Roses record is, for me it is the exact thing I consider GNR to be at least in attitude.  Also, it's murky waters w

Well, I posted the UG transcript before I watched the video. I just watched the part where he talks about CD (it's after 22:00 minute mark) and UG misheard it and transcribed it wrong.  Josh

I assume those five guys would be Axl, Slash, Izzy, Steven and Duff? Then I suppose UYI wasn't a GN'R record, either, since Matt had replaced Steven by then.  And although Chinese Democracy wasn'

1 hour ago, Draguns said:

I have to respectfully disagree with that. Axl and Slash are some of my childhood idols. When I attended the concert at the IZOD Center in 2011, I saw many empty seats. It was very unusual for that many empty seats for a GNR concert in the NJ/NYC area. Additionally, GNR was relegated to the IZOD Center and not Prudential. At the time, the IZOD Center was going to be closing soon and mothballed.  I was thinking at the time that would be the end of GNR. 

I remember that show well.  I had a good time, it was an ok show.  It was definitely more empty that expected.  I thought things were looking grim at the time and I couldn't believe how much they'd fallen off since 2006.  So many peaks and valleys in the history of GNR haha.  Feel like the Up Close and Personal shows were solid and got people more interested in GNR again, but it was basically the same setlist in a more intimate setting.  The Ritz show was the best of all those NYC shows.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

I hope I'm not coming across as "everything anyone says is wrong"?! Just a bit of friendly debate. But I agree. Nobody is right here. There's only shades of opinion. The only facts are:

Deep Purple rock.

Guns N Roses rock.

Ha! Not you😄 but there are some fans who fall into that category... which I understand to a point. 

Deep purple definitely rock

Gnr kinda do too😄

• Like 1
9 hours ago, jamillos said:

Nope. And there always was a minimum of the same 3 members on their records. Also, all their most famous, determining albums - like Fireball or In Rock - contained the identical key members (Gillan, Blackmore, Glover, Lord, Paice). Not a good example. 

7 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Same 3 members on all their records??? Which 3? I'm not sure you are familiar with Deep Purple's lineups then. Only Ian Paice has performed across all their lineups.

At one point there was practically more members of Deep Purple in Whitesnake and Rainbow than there was in Deep Purple!

And the Deep Purple example wasn't raised by me... however it is true that the MK2 line up released a few albums (although you could argue this is no different than the UYI line up releasing UYI I, II and SI. It isn't a fair comparison to compare volume of discography of bands in the 60's versus bands in the 90's, as in the 60's releasing 1-2 albums per year was the norm).

I’ll own it - I raised Deep Purple as an example (whilst trying to highlight the number of MK’s whilst all being deemed legitimate).

I then raised that with Black Sabbath as for about 3 albums it was only Iommi.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I’ll own it - I raised Deep Purple as an example (whilst trying to highlight the number of MK’s whilst all being deemed legitimate).

I then raised that with Black Sabbath as for about 3 albums it was only Iommi.

All good mate.

Sabbath and Purple are an interesting comparison. Ian Gillan sang with both, and Glenn Hughes (officially, I get the Iommi solo album bit) sang with both. Joe Lynn turner sang with both Rainbow and Deep Purple. Dio sang with both Black Sabbath and Rainbow (as well as singing on Deep Purple bassist Roger Glover's solo album, and performing with Deep Purple live). That whole 70's era in those bands was a fantastic merry-go-round.

Similar to Snakepit, VR, Alice Cooper, Art of Anarchy etc. A merry-go-round of various ex members of GnR and / or related bands all recording with one another.

On 9/4/2020 at 2:04 PM, WAR41 said:

I remember that show well.  I had a good time, it was an ok show.  It was definitely more empty that expected.  I thought things were looking grim at the time and I couldn't believe how much they'd fallen off since 2006.  So many peaks and valleys in the history of GNR haha.  Feel like the Up Close and Personal shows were solid and got people more interested in GNR again, but it was basically the same setlist in a more intimate setting.  The Ritz show was the best of all those NYC shows.  

I wasn't able to go to the Ritz show. I have to go to a venue that has seats due to my legs.

Yeah, the Izod show was ok, but it looked grim.  

On 03/09/2020 at 12:30 AM, rocknroll41 said:

In the late 90s Axl somehow got his hands on a buckethead album and played it for Marc Canter, who then told him “if anybody is good enough to replace Slash, it’s that guy.”

That’s a fucking bizarre statement from one of slash’s best friends. I mean Buckethead is a very good guitarist, but to make out he’s someone who can replace slash like for like as if that was an easy thing to do is madness. Buckethead and slash are two different guitar players and neither can replace the other. 

• Like 2