KOHD - Live Era

They are playing it right now on my local classic rock radio station.  I realize it isn't big news but I am not sure I have ever heard this version on the radio and it is pretty cool. This station usually plays the crap out of the studio version. They should play more Live Era stuff on the radio. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

They are playing it right now on my local classic rock radio station.  I realize it isn't big news but I am not sure I have ever heard this version on the radio and it is pretty cool. This station usually plays the crap out of the studio version. They should play more Live Era stuff on the radio. 

Is it the Freddie Mercury tribute one?

i remember a music video for Knockin' On Heaven's Door. It was the Freddie Tribute. They cut the reggae and the Tracey & Roberta part. Atleast VIVA (a old german music tv channel) showed that KOHD video.

Edited by t-p-d-a

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I once heard the Live Era Paradise City on my local classic rock station. 

• Like 1

I found comparing the original mix from the KOHD single with the Live Era remix quite interesting. Beefed up bottom end, higher crowd noise (which was definitely mixed too low on the single) and other differences...But no re-recordings or overdubs on this.

Too bad about the horrendous mastering though.

I never cared much for the fact there are overdubs. Live Era is awesome. Axl was capable of sounding that good anyway so who cares if they overdubbed some parts. I love to just crank it up and enjoy this masterpiece of a band that was. You wanted the best... Gives me goosebumps. A very cool representation of that era. I bought it way back in 1999 (replaced it with a new copy since) and for a while it was my favorite GN'R record to listen to. Great versions, live KOHD at it's best.

• Like 3

I love that they included Axl’s cover of It’s Alright on Live Era, I’d buy it again just for that and the version of You’re Crazy on it. 

Not so keen on what they did to Move to the City with that drawn out instrumental part in the middle of it, so boring - the rest of the album was great. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I love that they included Axl’s cover of It’s Alright on Live Era, I’d buy it again just for that and the version of You’re Crazy on it. 

Not so keen on what they did to Move to the City with that drawn out instrumental part in the middle of it, so boring - the rest of the album was great. 

I love the outro jam of MTTC as well as some other songs from the Live Era, like Pretty Tied Up for example. My only issue with this record is the sound and the fact that Double Talkin Jive is missing on it.

8 hours ago, Dean said:

Live Era is GN'R on steroids. Fucking amazing. Rocket Queen is vastly superior than what is on Appetite. Axl's re-recorded vocals are 10/10

Um, no... for the most part the re-recorded vocals sound like shit. As in, Axl sounds like he’s taking a shit while trying to squeeze some rasp out of his voice. I can’t stand listening to Live Era because of that 

16 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

Um, no... for the most part the re-recorded vocals sound like shit. As in, Axl sounds like he’s taking a shit while trying to squeeze some rasp out of his voice. I can’t stand listening to Live Era because of that 

The re-recorded vocals on Live Era are very much Axl Rose at the very top of his game. I couldn’t tell you the last time I listened to Appetite, if I ever want to listen to Jungle etc, it’s always Live Era. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, baldek said:

I love Move to the city on Live Era.

It's gotta be one the best showcases of the band's musicianship, instrumentally wise. When Axl goes "Ladies and gentlemen: the band!" I'm in for a ride.

I really love it. Great honky tonk licks by Dizzy !

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Free Bird said:

My only issue with this record is the sound and the fact that Double Talkin Jive is missing on it.

And Civil War... They could do another live album from the classic days and with the songs they left out and totally different versions of the other songs performance wise... Would love to hear one with much more songs performed by the AFD lineup and stuff from the Skin N' Bones tour..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

I totally understand why people love this version but give me the version from the Appetite tour 

I love the UYI versions but those ones from the Appetite tour take the cake.. The acoustic ones from the Skin N' Bones tour were phenomenal too. Anything but the disaster they do now.. 

• Like 1