09/26/21 - Baltimore, MD - Royal Farms Arena

alfierose

The IEM issue looks more like the actual issue is with the receiver or the in ears themselves then the monitor engineer.

The receiver pack operates off standard AA batteries (rechargeable). Often new batteries are placed in the receiver pack before a show or charged as the receiver batteries are rechargeable. 

These batteries can last up to 5 hours. 

Even though technology has advanced the receiver still needs power to accept the signal. 

Just like any battery operated device, if the power is low, the device provides less power output. This will cause the signal to drop out constantly and in your ears you will hear the audio come and go. Of course if the battery goes flat, the signal drops out completely. 

Also, just like standard earphones, the in ears plug into the receiver can short around the jacket (3.5mm) more so if there is no slack between the cord and receiver pack. You will often see a small bit of cord hanging down at the back or side of were the receiver is attached to the person. This is to relieve tension in the cord.

The fact Tom M, went to help Axl points to an equipment issue as Tom M is in charge of looking after Axls personal IEM. Tom M is in a sense Axls tech. 

If you have an IEM technical issue, its often distracting because of the cutting in and out regularly, more so as IEM are noise cancelling and thats the only auto you can hear when in the ears directly. 

If it was an issue with volume, levels or the mix, then Axl would have been looking over at the monitor engineer or talking off PA directly to the engineer, then it would be something the engineer needs to do or is not doing, to work on it and get it sorted.

IEM have changed since I started working with them as they are  universally used. 

Often the issues are engineering related via the soundboard (monitor engineer) or a equipment issue. 

The thing that has changed is the quality of the audio dynamics via the drivers in the ear piece themselves. 

Also, the signal strength and distance has improved dramatically, with  antenna distribution.

In the old days you were operating the signal directly via the transmitor direct to the receiver. 

Today you can place antennas on stage to cover a wider area to cover signal blind spots. 

Signal would often cut out if the signal chain had interference like the lead singer walking on stage between the drum riser or amps, that's when I would get some confused looks from a lead singer, and some times a pissed off face. Nothing I could do via the soundboard, was may answer to lead singers after the show. 

Edited by kiwiguns
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, MYWIFEMYLIFE said:

Axl is way too cool and relaxed, they should piss him off to make him perform better :D 

This is accurate. I still remember O2 Arena when he sang with zero movement... 2010 maybe?

But still he have the air in his lugns to sing this hard song.

9 hours ago, GS67 said:

If you can get past the lady screaming and singing, this video doesn’t make AXL sound bad at all on the song. Tons better than the first video that was floating around 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1776500235915125/permalink/3168443820054086/

Agree 100%.  I saw and heard this video last night and was amazed at the difference! Amazingly better plus a much closer view which is always great!!!

4 hours ago, marlingrl03 said:

Agree 100%.  I saw and heard this video last night and was amazed at the difference! Amazingly better plus a much closer view which is always great!!!

Can't access that group to see the video but I was down in front & thought it sounded better than the video I saw on Youtube for sure

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

The pieced together the perfect piss break half way through the set with Absurd and Hard School.. 

And in case you had too much beer you have another bladder relief moment during KOHD and you can still listen to half of it when you return :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

Kiss is actually lip syncing these days. I'm fine with Axl doing what he is doing, it is serviceable and he is doing his best.

The thing that bothers me is why release stuff made by a late 30's Axl for a late 30's Axl? Hard skool is a bitch to sing. Hell, I can see Axl in 92, 93 having some issues with it on bad vocal days. New material is really an opportunity for Axl to come up with music that play into his strenghts (and he still can perform quite well when he sticks to those). Instead he releases a screamfest from 99.

Agree and he had every opportunity to change or rearrange hard skool vocals prior to release. Could of changed it to something abit easier to sing if its past his current capability 

Edited by vloors

7 hours ago, vloors said:

Duff solo song will always be my piss break

I actually really enjoyed I'm Gonna Be Your Dog this tour.. But I hear ya.. The Duff songs don't do much for me either...  I usually run out during Better and then try and hold it until the encore break.

17 hours ago, WhazUp said:

And in case you had too much beer you have another bladder relief moment during KOHD and you can still listen to half of it when you return :P

Truth... As much shit as that song gets I actually like it.. I could watch Slash play all day though.. I do think they should dial it back a bit though.. Structure it more like the classic days.. The 1993 versions were phenomenal.. 

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Truth... As much shit as that song gets I actually like it.. I could watch Slash play all day though.. I do think they should dial it back a but though.. Structure it more like the classic days.. The 1993 versions were phenomenal.. 

The 93 acoustic version is my second favorite of this song right after the 87-88 versions.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

The 93 acoustic version is my second favorite of this song right after the 87-88 versions.

Those are great too. I could go either way really.. I would even be happy with the GITR tour versions... Minus the "Gimme some reggae" part... Chicago 92 is one of my favorites.. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, vloors said:

Duff solo song will always be my piss break

I used to take a break during DTJ, but became a massive fan at my two recent shows.

13 hours ago, Blackstar said:

"That was interesting. That was something. What that something was, I'm not exactly sure."

I could’ve sworn I heard “embarrassing” in there.