09/16/21 - Chicago, IL - Wrigley Field

alfierose

52 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

The fact that they didn't play HS is one thing, but i don't get why Axl won't ever acknowledge the anniversaries of his most important albums on stage. 

Maybe because for some people anniversaries or certain dates when something happened in the past, like the release of a record, is not really a big deal. I know quite a few people who don't even celebrate their birthday because for them it's just another day. To each their own.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

Maybe because for some people anniversaries or certain dates when something happened in the past, like the release of a record, is not really a big deal. I know quite a few people who don't even celebrate their birthday because for them it's just another day. To each their own.

I celebrate the day before my birthday so that I can celebrate my last day of being a year younger!

• Haha 1

To put it in perspective. The Foo Fighters have 152 songs in their catalog yet their set lists have pretty much stayed the same for their 2021 tour. GNR has 87 songs in their catalog and yet their set lists has also stayed the same (pretty much)  since the tour began. They are playing for the crowds at the arenas/stadiums.  Also for the fact that major changes in the set lists makes it harder, as you have to think of production, lighting, pyro. Moving stuff around too much can cause a lot of problems/headaches. But to be fair GNR could/should change the sets when they take a break because then everything can be "reset." Very few large scale bands will never play the same show twice. The Grateful Dead typically would do this back in their day. Bruce Springsteen was/is notorious to have his band rehearse the whole catalog so they could play any song at anytime. He even had a spot in the show where they would take audience requests. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

The fact that they didn't play HS is one thing, but i don't get why Axl won't ever acknowledge the anniversaries of his most important albums on stage. 

Guns n' Roses just seem like a very unsentimental band. It'd be great if he just gave a short speech on stage about the albums and tour in a somewhat positive way. Thank people for supporting them back then and ask the crowd who was there on that tour to get a pop.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

I am confused.  I have been reading how great the shows are, Axl is happy and enjoying himself and Slash is at the top of his game. Now I am reading negative comments because they have not played one particular song...really!

This last show in particular was pretty fuckin bad. The two Atlantic City shows were awesome tho! And most of the shows before that this year were decent too at least (Hershey was a bad start tho).

21 minutes ago, DPR714 said:

To put it in perspective. The Foo Fighters have 152 songs in their catalog yet their set lists have pretty much stayed the same for their 2021 tour. GNR has 87 songs in their catalog and yet their set lists has also stayed the same (pretty much)  since the tour began. They are playing for the crowds at the arenas/stadiums.  Also for the fact that major changes in the set lists makes it harder, as you have to think of production, lighting, pyro. Moving stuff around too much can cause a lot of problems/headaches. But to be fair GNR could/should change the sets when they take a break because then everything can be "reset." Very few large scale bands will never play the same show twice. The Grateful Dead typically would do this back in their day. Bruce Springsteen was/is notorious to have his band rehearse the whole catalog so they could play any song at anytime. He even had a spot in the show where they would take audience requests. 

Foo Fighters have also released 4 albums and multiple EPs since Chinese Democracy was released.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, mystery said:

Guns n' Roses just seem like a very unsentimental band. It'd be great if he just gave a short speech on stage about the albums and tour in a somewhat positive way. Thank people for supporting them back then and ask the crowd who was there on that tour to get a pop.

The could have easily busted out Dead Horse too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoBucky said:

People can complain about setlists, etc, but these shows are extremely entertaining and everyone in the crowd left happy. Once again, I heard a handful of people praising Axl. The guy next to me in the pit turned to his buddy to say 'Axl sounds great, I don't know what people on Twitter are talking about'. People need to stop reading the negative comments from people that don't even go to the shows and just buy a ticket and have a great evening at a fantastic rock show. 

yup

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DPR714 said:

That is my point. Yet their set list has stayed the same with very few changes.

Guns are at a point where they have to play a lot of the hits. Same with a lot of older bands like Foo Fighters, Metallica, RHCP etc. There's some bands like Pearl Jam that can get away with playing real deep cuts or change setlists but GnR isn't one of them.

I think people overstate the importance of different setlists, especially when most of the crowd has no idea what Dead Horse or Locomotive are. They're really there for WTTJ, Live and Let Die, SCOM, and Paradise City among others. They're willing to sit through Chinese Democracy or Better to get to the songs they remember.

The stop/start nature of Guns n Roses from 1994-2009 means many fans left years if not decades ago so their only frame of reference is Appetite, Patience, or the big singles from UYI I and II.

• Like 3

The setlist itself has not ever been a huge issue for me. Aside from two stadium shows in 2016 that were only 2 weeks apart (Detroit and Chicago), I have gotten at least one song per show that I haven't gotten prior. They have even added some cool deep cuts since 2017 with Dead Horse, Locomotive, and So Fine. They are rare, but they were at least played. Sure, they could play more deep cuts, but I think the setlists are pretty good. The set hasn't been that similar since 2001 aside from having all of the obligatory hits. NuGNR added stuff from CD and songs like Don't Cry, Estranged, Civil War, 14 Years, Yesterdays, etc. With the reunion, Coma is a song we never thought we would get and that became a staple. DTJ was never played with NuGNR. Plus the shows are long. If they played 2 hour shows but switched them up between all of these songs, most people would not complain as much. It does admittedly seem stale to us since we are diehards.

The guy I stood next to at this year's Detroit show was a casual. He knew the hits and recognized Slither as a Velvet Revolver song. To him, a song like Better might as well have been a deep cut off of UYI and Estranged could have been on Chinese. They are there for the Appetite stuff, Patience, LALD, KoHD, November Rain, and Civil War. He seemed to have liked the show because they "played everything", even though to us that simply is not true.

The covers can be annoying, but they slimmed them down this tour. Absurd is new and You're Crazy has been pretty rare throughout the reunion. Dead Horse would have been cool to keep and Pretty Tied Up, but it is not the end of the world. I would complain about the sets if they have been completely identical each time they come to my city, but there is always 1-2 (sometimes more) songs I haven't gotten before in there. The issue is the lack of new music, for me.

If you were just a fan who went to the Chicago shows, you would have gotten different songs at the 2016, 2017, and 2021 shows.

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SpUd_Jr said:

Posting on this site for the first time in, like, 10 years. I used to live on this site when I was teenager.

I finally saw Guns N' Roses in concert. It seemed impossible when I fell in love with the band in '04. The setlist was as much of a wishlist as I could've reasonably asked for. There are some deep cuts I would have loved (Locomotive, Coma) but whatever. Axl sounds good enough, not worth complaining about.

I had the time of my life, and I'll never forget the experience. Rock on y'all!

That's awesome! I'm just curious, but with all the touring, why was this your first time?

It goes to show that with each tour, there are always people who are fans and going for the first time. I never got to see Zeppelin, and would have taken a "stale" setlist from them!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

That's awesome! I'm just curious, but with all the touring, why was this your first time?

It goes to show that with each tour, there are always people who are fans and going for the first time. I never got to see Zeppelin, and would have taken a "stale" setlist from them!

Just circumstances of life. The timing to afford the tickets and a hotel worked out. Wasn't really following the band as close the last few years either, even after they re-united. Saw this tour date and realized I gotta go.

• Like 1

Just now, SpUd_Jr said:

Just circumstances of life. The timing to afford the tickets and a hotel worked out. Wasn't really following the band as close the last few years either, even after they re-united. Saw this tour date and realized I gotta go.

Glad you finally got to see them! Was this your first GNR show or did you see NuGNR too?

1 hour ago, DPR714 said:

That is my point. Yet their set list has stayed the same with very few changes.

The hits stay the same, but they also play 3/4 songs of the new album each cycle, and 1 deep cut. People aren't asking GnR to drop SCOM NR PC WTTJ etc. There should be a core 14/15 songs that are untouchable of course. Then there should be the deep cuts, the new songs and a new duff song every tour. That'd suffice

• Like 1