08/03/21 - Boston, MA - Fenway Park

alfierose

1 minute ago, siraddam said:

Awesome quality! Axl and Slash are working great on stage, but wtf does Dizzy Reed do??? Just banging on the bongos in silence.

He has to psyche himself up to display his masterpiece 'Absurd' to the audience. This is evidently a timely process!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, NicoRourke said:

What's he saying at the beginning? Something about power chords, but I don't hear it clearly

"Does anyone know the significance of this last song? Rumble, by Mr. Link Wray... That song invented the power chord! See? Uncle Axl is just helping you learn a little something here outside of your zoom class."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Tyson said:

Question:  Were there merchandise stands at this show?  Someone posted on HTGTH that they're doing away with them and only selling online to prevent crowds/long lines.  

There were several stands outside the venue selling official merchandise. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

"Does anyone know the significance of this last song? Rumble, by Mr. Link Wray... That song invented the power chord! See? Uncle Axl is just helping you learn a little something here outside of your zoom class."

But Link Wray didn't play any power chords on Rumble. It's open D, E, A, B7 and that single not run.

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Oh Mickey was definitely there in Boston.  I have seen Axl eight times now and that was easily the worst I have ever heard him in person.  It definitely gets masked due to the pure wattage but it is there. As well as the cracks  and inconsistencies..  The crowd singing along helps as well.  It was still a great show. I think the band and crowd helped offset some of the vocal issues. 

This illustrates some of the tension in being a GNR (Axl specifically) fan these days IMO. You can still go to a show and have a good time with all the crowd energy and bells & whistles of a concert production. BUT objectively Axl does not sound good at all for the vast majority of the songs. For instance, I couldn’t show clips of Axl singing these songs (where his voice is actually noticeable) to friends and be proud of them…they would think at best they don’t sound good..and they wouldn’t be wrong. 

• Like 3

One observation from watching some videos of this show.  On Civil War, when Axl sings the "when everybody's fightin' for their promised land" line, he sounds like it's 1991 on the UYI tour and sounds better than the same line at Farm Aid.  Interestingly, the beginning of the verse which should be pretty easy to sing, he doesn't sound too good and is almost talking the lines.

5 hours ago, VampireSoul said:

Am I the only one who thinks them playing Silkworms/Absurd is all Slash? If Axl would've wanted to do that song, it would've been heard many times over the years. Slashs instagram is like Silkworms come to life in pictures 😂

:slash:: "All things considered, this is fucking great." 

• Haha 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

2 hours ago, Paulywauly said:

What does he say at the end of Nightrain about his vocals!? He looks deflated and throws the mic, obviously a little pissed off with how he’s sounding.

"I have no idea why my vocals are washed out on most of that song"

I couldn't understand what he says after that.

4 hours ago, siraddam said:

Awesome quality! Axl and Slash are working great on stage, but wtf does Dizzy Reed do??? Just banging on the bongos in silence.

I have long been a fan of Dizzy's fantastic tambourine work during the intro to You Could Be Mine!! :P

As a kid in the early 90s, me Mam had the Live In Paris gig on VHS. For the life of me I couldn't understand why Dizzy appeared to be a full member. I remember looking at the credits to Illusion albums and he plays on maybe half the songs, yet was photographed as a proper member. I just couldn't understand. Appreciate his role increased during the CD era but he appears to be back down the chain now really. Odd. I'm possibly speaking oot ma arse here though so correct me if wrong! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

"I have no idea why my vocals are washed out on most of that song"

I couldn't understand what he says after that.

So he knows for sure that there’s something not right with his vocals, but he must also be aware of how good he was singing with AC/DC when he was using the vocal coach. Surely he needs the vocal coach again.

On 8/5/2021 at 11:40 AM, GNRfanMILO said:

But we all know he tries on stage! There's no doubt about that. It's the least thing he can do.

What probably anyone here wants is for him to try, while off the stage. Preparing for a tour, and not using the first show as a rehearsal. He'd sound so, so much better.

It never fails to come here and find Fans criticizing and analyzing every single thing about his voice based mostly off of a video they saw and again I say mostly but even worse to talk about rather he prepares or tries when everyone has always said how much Axl puts into preparing for each concert with vocal exercises and things. I would like to think his own band members have a better idea of this than people on the internet.