08/05/21 - East Rutherford, NJ - MetLife Stadium

alfierose

5 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Glad everyone at the show had a great time. Unfortunately I just heard WTTJ on YouTube and the sound guy needs to give Axl support. His voice seems very thin to the point that it’s hard to hear him. Maybe give him some reverb support so it sounds a bit more full. Idk. Not many people will check it out on YouTube so it doesn’t matter, but might make him sound better/clearer live 

I don’t agree. It struck me (and the people I was with) how powerful his voice was. I’m sure on YouTube it sounds feeble but in person it was powerful and impressive. I doubt anyone who was there left thinking the sound guy wasn’t doing his job.

4 hours ago, DownUnderScott said:

Can I ask a genuine question to you guys that attended, because I have tickets for shows coming up in a few months in Australia (possibly cancelled though). Is there any COVID requirements? Like do the band, or the event promoter or venue require everyone to be vaccinated and show proof of that? Any other COVID regulations at all? 

The show was in New Jersey so there was no restrictions to speak of. Some were wearing masks but that was personal preference. There was actually a sign outside saying Proof of Vaccine was not required for entry. I can’t speak to the Australian policies.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Yea not to turn this into another vocal thread but it is odd for someone to who is so naturally gifted as a singer to completely lose the ability to hold a note. It actually sounds like he can’t hear himself. I use to be able to pick out areas of songs that he could still do well on, but currently there’s not much good. 
Im not saying this to complain or anything, at this point i don’t follow as much I use to, but we can all hear it. Glad he’s still up on the stage and in good shape this year! Hope they keep rockin for many years to come and that if he is struggling vocally that he can seek the proper help to impress a new generation of fans !

Maybe the issue is his hearing, not his vocal chords?

18 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

Maybe the issue is his hearing, not his vocal chords?

Hmm hate to admit it but this is a good point. It's often an issue as we get older. My husband is just a few years younger than Axl and he's developed problems with one ear in the last couple of years. He hasn't worked all his life in a high noise environment either.

Hopefully not the case but you never know.

44 minutes ago, alfierose said:

Hmm hate to admit it but this is a good point. It's often an issue as we get older. My husband is just a few years younger than Axl and he's developed problems with one ear in the last couple of years. He hasn't worked all his life in a high noise environment either.

Hopefully not the case but you never know.

Hope not but I noticed on the video of patience, when he sung the "I've been walkin' the streets at night...: part, he went to "Mickey" and kept fiddling with the IEM box.  

4 minutes ago, Tyson said:

'Absurd' actually impressed me live but the vital potency has been subdued by the overproduced recorded version.  I HOPE that release is simply something fun for the fans for the new tour and is not highly indicative of what's to come on a new album (Slash and Duff adding parts to Axl's sub par decade's old material).  

This...

• Haha 1

Just now, Tyson said:

My review:

I was there with my 72 year old mom.  She was absolutely blown away by the passion and overall performance.  She LOVED Slash's guitar playing and thought Axl looked and sounded fantastic.  The crowd ABSOLUTELY loved the show and it exceeded even my expectations.  Whatever Axl lacked in stamina and power at times (vocally) didn't take away from the performance and was really not even noticed by the crowd.  He's still an amazing frontman and NO ROCK BAND IN THE WORLD can hold a candle to this band live, STILL.  'Absurd' actually impressed me live but the vital potency has been subdued by the overproduced recorded version.  I HOPE that release is simply something fun for the fans for the new tour and is not highly indicative of what's to come on a new album (Slash and Duff adding parts to Axl's sub par decade's old material).  My highlights: Sweet Child, It's so Easy, Knocking on Heaven's door, November Rain.  The whole concert was fucking great and Axl is only going to get stronger as the tour progresses.  He is at least 15-20lbs lighter than he was in 2016.  All you naysayers need to get your asses off this website more often and go walk in the sun.  Peace and love! 

"No rock band in the world can hold a candle to this band live"? Oh, come off it! Sure you had a good time and that's great, but that's a ridiculous thing to say when you think of some of the bands out there and the shows they do. Crazy. 

Or perhaps it's you that needs to "get off your ass" and see a few more rock shows? Because most people here, I would imagine, have been to a vast selection and have seen what other bands do live. It's not a case of "naysaying" at all...it's a case of calling shitty performances what they are when they happen. 

I mean, I'm in a GNR high at the moment, with the new song, but I really REALLY haven't seen them be passionate in a while. Which is why everyone is so excited at new material rather than playing the old standards and hoping they get some passion back......which they certainly do look bored by. And who can blame them? 

33 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

"No rock band in the world can hold a candle to this band live"? Oh, come off it! Sure you had a good time and that's great, but that's a ridiculous thing to say when you think of some of the bands out there and the shows they do. Crazy. 

Or perhaps it's you that needs to "get off your ass" and see a few more rock shows? Because most people here, I would imagine, have been to a vast selection and have seen what other bands do live. It's not a case of "naysaying" at all...it's a case of calling shitty performances what they are when they happen. 

I mean, I'm in a GNR high at the moment, with the new song, but I really REALLY haven't seen them be passionate in a while. Which is why everyone is so excited at new material rather than playing the old standards and hoping they get some passion back......which they certainly do look bored by. And who can blame them? 

You know, I will trust the guy actually at the show over you. Seems like a lot of people at the show praised the performance and passion. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I think their performance is fine, even Axl's, in terms of how much work goes into it, the intensity etc. There are two issues with the band, imo. First is obviously the lack of material, which hopefully will change from now on, and hopefully with material of a less absurd variety. Second is the state of Axl's voice. His voice no longer suits a very big part of the loved GNR material. I'm all for fans going to the shows and having a great time, I'm sure that attending a GNR show is still a lot fun, but anyone who listens to yesterdays performances and thinks they sound great has a hearing problem. Axl is desperately struggling out there vocally. 

1 minute ago, Pedrolg said:

I think their performance is fine, even Axl's, in terms of how much work goes into it, the intensity etc. There are two issues with the band, imo. First is obviously the lack of material, which hopefully will change from now on, and hopefully with material of a less absurd variety. Second is the state of Axl's voice. His voice no longer suits a very big part of the loved GNR material. I'm all for fans going to the shows and having a great time, I'm sure that attending a GNR show is still a lot fun, but anyone who listens to yesterdays performances and thinks they sound great has a hearing problem. Axl is desperately struggling out there vocally. 

I listened to the streams and although Axl wasn't good all the time, for most parts he was. It was a fun show and Axl clearly gave it all at times. I got the occasional chills and could only imagine how it must have been to be there. It just came across as a great, fun party of a concert. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

You know, I will trust the guy actually at the show over you. Seems like a lot of people at the show praised the performance and passion. 

They did....but a lot seemed to flag it too. I have no idea- I haven't watched a video from it. I did see some of Hershey though.....and that really, really was not a live band 'no-one can hold a candle to'. It's a crazy claim to say they're the best live band in the world. But if you're there, I'm sure you're going to enjoy it. I've enjoyed every GNR show I've seen. But some of them were, objectively speaking, not the best! 

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

It's a crazy claim to say they're the best live band in the world. But if you're there, I'm sure you're going to enjoy it. I've enjoyed every GNR show I've seen. But some of them were, objectively speaking, not the best! 

Legit.. Boston was a great time but Axl was terrible.. Still a good show.. Mostly due to Slash and the audience.

17 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I listened to the streams and although Axl wasn't good all the time, for most parts he was. It was a fun show and Axl clearly gave it all at times. I got the occasional chills and could only imagine how it must have been to be there. It just came across as a great, fun party of a concert. 

Yeah, I actually agree with you on a lot this. I'm firmly against the notion that Axl is lazy or not passionate about his performance. The nature of what Axl does is not something you get out of bed and do, regardless of talent. I'm absolutely, 150% sure that he has put astonishing amounts of work on building, developing and maintaning his voice, and his performances are quite intense still, he puts a lot into it. The shows are very fun.

Still, Axl has been having severe vocal issues for a while. I encourage you to go and listen to the last few renditions of Nightrain. There are severe issues everywhere, it doesn't sound good, and that's the case for a lot of the classic songs. Sure, they are great when youy are having a beer, at the venue, seeing them live, but you will never be able to play a live version of a GNR song from a post 2016 show at a friends gathering or a barbecue. People will force you to change the track, unless they are true fans, familiar with Axl's struggles in the past few years and willing to put up.

I used to shit on Axl a lot, but I don't do it anymore, having a bit more knowledge due to personal experience what goes into developing and maintaining one's voice. Not going to turn this into another voice discussion (I admit I'm a bit too interested on the subject). I hope that Absurd kicks off the release of more material, and material that fits old Axl's voice better. Hope that people who attend whoes have a blast too. 

• Like 1