08/13/21 - Missoula, MT - Grizzly Stadium

alfierose

4 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

Some quick comments after attending in the pit:

First of all, Axl sounds better when you are there because, at least where I was standing, his vocals get overpowered in the mix especially on songs with heavy guitar.  If I really paid attention, I could obviously hear the issues.  My wife, who is a very casual fan, commented that he didn't sound too good on NR.

Absurd is a fun song live.  It's not a great song by any stretch and the lyrics are like they were written by a 12 year old but the crowd seemed to enjoy it for the most part.  Maybe Axl will realize he has fun doing new songs that he hasn't performed 1000 times already and this will lead to some more new music and/or setlist changeups.  I'm pretty sure in the intro to Absurd Axl said it was a "new" song and that led to the joke about even them being shocked.

My wife commented on how good of a guitar player Richard is.  She has a musical background so I found it interesting that she noticed.

The band (Axl especially) really seems to be enjoying performing.  I wish somebody could record whatever Axl says on the IEM channel.  He seemed to be joking around with Duff a bunch.

I don't remember which song it was (RQ maybe) but Axl tripped walking backwards on the mic stand and almost fell on his ass.  Impressively, he held the note while catching his balance.

I know it's the "GNR thing" but, especially when the opener gets cancelled, they need to try and get on stage a little sooner.  Dizzy was wandering around back and side stage for over 20 minutes before they came on.  I could see Richard through the bottom of the stage go up the stairs a good 10 minutes before they came out.  Did Axl fly in just before the show or something?  I've been to 4 shows in my life (Miami '91, Orlando '16, Miami '17 and Missoula '21) and the one they were pretty much on time for was Miami '91.  It was New Year's Eve and they did the countdown during PC so I guess Axl wanted to time it so it worked out?

Why was Frank wearing a mask for the bow?

My wife recorded DTJ, WTTJ, Estranged (missing a few seconds at the beginning), Civil War and SCOM.  I'll try and put them on YT later but my internet upload speed is slow out where I am currently.

Pretty sure they were stalling to come on. As they were giving out free tickets. Scrambling to get those empty seats somewhat filled

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Top-Hatted One said:

I’m assuming since the place looked 30% full when they usually go on

From the Facebook feed it really filled up...the far seats in the back weren't totally full and Duffs side of the pit was scarce, but it certainly did look a lot better than it did earlier. They really need to drop prices. The shows are really good. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, jonah said:

Just curious if a gnr stage personnel gets covid would they cancel? Or If say frank got it would they cancel or bring in a quick replacement? Wonder if they have a contingency plan for that. Its obviously an axl/slash/duff show and I know I’d be pissed if they canceled cause Melissa got sick

23 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

Hopefully we don’t find out. It’s easy to be cautious and scrap a performance or 2 when it’s just the opener. I’d imagine the decision process would be different with the main event.

23 hours ago, adamsapple said:

Unless Axl or Slash get sick the tour might just continue with other musicians filling in, most of the set is classics most musicians know or can easily figure out anyway. And it's not like GNR don't have plenty of past members to call, even though the question is would they show up. Let's just hope everyone stays healthy and WVH bounces back quickly from the setback. Maybe GNR will play a bit longer tonight? Will definetely check out some videos if there are any, the venue looks just too nice.

My guess is if it were Dizzy or Melissa they could make do without them, if if was Fortus they could get Frank Sidoris in (maybe alter the set a little to play more songs that he knows), if it were Frank then maybe get Wolf or Garrett on the drums. If they chose to go the substitution route.

6 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

Some quick comments after attending in the pit:

First of all, Axl sounds better when you are there because, at least where I was standing, his vocals get overpowered in the mix especially on songs with heavy guitar.  If I really paid attention, I could obviously hear the issues.  My wife, who is a very casual fan, commented that he didn't sound too good on NR.

Absurd is a fun song live.  It's not a great song by any stretch and the lyrics are like they were written by a 12 year old but the crowd seemed to enjoy it for the most part.  Maybe Axl will realize he has fun doing new songs that he hasn't performed 1000 times already and this will lead to some more new music and/or setlist changeups.  I'm pretty sure in the intro to Absurd Axl said it was a "new" song and that led to the joke about even them being shocked.

My wife commented on how good of a guitar player Richard is.  She has a musical background so I found it interesting that she noticed.

The band (Axl especially) really seems to be enjoying performing.  I wish somebody could record whatever Axl says on the IEM channel.  He seemed to be joking around with Duff a bunch.

I don't remember which song it was (RQ maybe) but Axl tripped walking backwards on the mic stand and almost fell on his ass.  Impressively, he held the note while catching his balance.

I know it's the "GNR thing" but, especially when the opener gets cancelled, they need to try and get on stage a little sooner.  Dizzy was wandering around back and side stage for over 20 minutes before they came on.  I could see Richard through the bottom of the stage go up the stairs a good 10 minutes before they came out.  Did Axl fly in just before the show or something?  I've been to 4 shows in my life (Miami '91, Orlando '16, Miami '17 and Missoula '21) and the one they were pretty much on time for was Miami '91.  It was New Year's Eve and they did the countdown during PC so I guess Axl wanted to time it so it worked out?

Why was Frank wearing a mask for the bow?

My wife recorded DTJ, WTTJ, Estranged (missing a few seconds at the beginning), Civil War and SCOM.  I'll try and put them on YT later but my internet upload speed is slow out where I am currently.

Thanks for the review! 

36 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

My guess is if it were Dizzy or Melissa they could make do without them, if if was Fortus they could get Frank Sidoris in (maybe alter the set a little to play more songs that he knows), if it were Frank then maybe get Wolf or Garrett on the drums. If they chose to go the substitution route.

I'd say if one gets sick or crew then the whole show is off the road. They can't risk spreading it further when there's hundreds of thousands at stake.

Gnr could do a pared down set with Frank Sidoris, but none of the other musicians on tour know the set enough to pull off the show outside of having 2-3 days to get it ready.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I'd say if one gets sick or crew then the whole show is off the road. They can't risk spreading it further when there's hundreds of thousands at stake.

Gnr could do a pared down set with Frank Sidoris, but none of the other musicians on tour know the set enough to pull off the show outside of having 2-3 days to get it ready.

So then I guess it depends on who gets sick, if it's Fortus they could maybe continue otherwise no. If they want to play with a replacement. Or they'll just cancel completely. 

4 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Pretty sure they were stalling to come on. As they were giving out free tickets. Scrambling to get those empty seats somewhat filled

Anything's possible but I'm not sure where they would find a few thousand people in Missoula, MT to attend a show on an hour's notice.  It isn't exactly New York City or Vegas.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GNfnR2` said:

The ticket scanners went down at the main entrance. It took hours before they could get people in. I was fortunate and got tipped off about a back entrance.

What time was that? I went in by the basketball arena to the corner field entrance around 7:15 and the tickets scanned fine. Strangely nobody even looked at my parking pass for the west lot, let alone scanned it.

2 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

What time was that? I went in by the basketball arena to the corner field entrance around 7:15 and the tickets scanned fine. Strangely nobody even looked at my parking pass for the west lot, let alone scanned it.

I believe it was about 5:30

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

These guys are on fucking fire...  The loss of the click tracks and pyro along with the better tempos has brought back some of the looseness that made this band so great.. Even Axl seems to have gained some of his swagger back..  My traveling is a bit limited at the moment due to a really old dog but I would definitely love to travel and see these guys in this form.. 

I agree.

14 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

This is the logic that gets you shows where the setlist is made up of the greatest and other safe choices.

You can't have it both ways.

If you want deep cuts and new music then Axl can't worry about how the audience will react because the audience is always going to react the most to SCOM, Jungle, PC, NR, KOHD, etc.

Beggars can't be choosers. I understand. But at the same time I think they can do better. Is it that hard to replace Wichita Lineman and The Seeker with There Was A Time, Hard School, Street Of Dream or The General? And I'm not a die hard fan of those songs. 

Safe choices? Well, I take Locomotive, Perfect Crime, Dead Horse or Breakdown over Absurd everyday of the week and twice of Sundays. For me those songs are not "safe choices" But for other people they might be.

Good to see the band having fun and  playing looser.

Can I ask those of you who are more musically/sonically educated than me- since the 2010s has Axl been using some sort of effect on vocals live? I find it hard to explain - but it’s almost like some weird echo effect that seems to accentuate his screams. I’ve often wondered if the NITL Selects have sounded so poor because they are just pure soundboard and without the effect that you get live?

I don’t ever remember it pre 2010s- 2006 he was incredible, and with AC DC too.

Does anyone know what I mean?

11 minutes ago, UseYourDelusion said:

Can I ask those of you who are more musically/sonically educated than me- since the 2010s has Axl been using some sort of effect on vocals live? I find it hard to explain - but it’s almost like some weird echo effect that seems to accentuate his screams. I’ve often wondered if the NITL Selects have sounded so poor because they are just pure soundboard and without the effect that you get live?

I think that echo is only on for the wttj scream and maybe others.

14 minutes ago, UseYourDelusion said:

It's just a delay. Nothing fancy. Some people have suggested that the screams are pre-recorded but it doesn't sound that way to me because the length and pitch varies from show to show, whereas they would be identical from show to show (and he wouldn't occasionally skip them) if it was pre-recorded.

I'd say it's approximately a quarter note delay, set to three or four repeats, and when kicked in the vocal overlaps itself creating a doubling effect. Seems to be done for effect since it really fills out and accentuates those screams.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, James Bond said:

It's just a delay. Nothing fancy. Some people have suggested that the screams are pre-recorded but it doesn't sound that way to me because the length and pitch varies from show to show, whereas they would be identical from show to show (and he wouldn't occasionally skip them) if it was pre-recorded.

I'd say it's approximately a quarter note delay, set to three or four repeats, and when kicked in the vocal overlaps itself creating a doubling effect. Seems to be done for effect since it really fills out and accentuates those screams

It's what can be heard on Chinese from Appetite for Democracy isn't it?