08/19/21 - Los Angeles, CA - Banc of California Stadium

alfierose

23 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

Now, why don't i see Breakdown being mentioned often, as I consider it up there with the highlights of UYI. Am I alone in this opinion? 

For me too, the only thing I could live without is the annoying vocal lines in the chorus (''let me hear it now''), and the spoken outro, apart from that, great song. Love the piano part too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jamillos said:

No, I'm just going by pure logic. He wasn't wearing it during the show, was he? So why put it on for the final bow and not wait the few seconds until after? And do you think they all wear it backstage anyway? I highly doubt that tbh. The fact that one wants to be responsible doesn't mean that you absolutely must waive all logic and are forbidden to ask any questions whatsoever. In short: he could have waited, this looks weird - especially considering the others are not wearing it there. Maybe it was some sort of appeal/propagation.
Nevermind. 

He did the same thing in Missoula last Friday. I thought it was strange then also and didn't make any sense.

If he has COVID but is asymptomatic he should be staying away from everyone and just sitting back at the drums and then not even coming out for the bow, mask or no mask.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

He did the same thing in Missoula last Friday. I thought it was strange then also and didn't make any sense.

If he has COVID but is asymptomatic he should be staying away from everyone and just sitting back at the drums and then not even coming out for the bow, mask or no mask.

I just think it's symbolic from him. :shrugs: Nothing Covid-related 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

Love Bad Apples, and one of my go to songs on UYI 1, love the long chorus. The band must have loved it too as they created a themed shirt from it. Different strokes for different folks I suppose. 

I heard Bad Apples last week and was thinking how cool and unique it is.. I used to have that Tshirt back in the day too!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, EvanG said:

For me too, the only thing I could live without is the annoying vocal lines in the chorus (''let me hear it now''), and the spoken outro, apart from that, great song. Love the piano part too.

hahahah.. I love Breakdown too but never liked those two exact parts.. WTF was Axl thinking?  The rest of the song is so good that I can get past it though.. 

• Like 1

Just watched the KOHD from this show (a song I very rarely watch when catching up on videos), and that Smoke on the Water bit was hilarious. You could see the genuine smiles all around. It's like the fun little joke you do at band practice while trading off the more elaborate licks, and you could tell nobody was expecting it.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

34 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Just watched the KOHD from this show (a song I very rarely watch when catching up on videos), and that Smoke on the Water bit was hilarious. You could see the genuine smiles all around. It's like the fun little joke you do at band practice while trading off the more elaborate licks, and you could tell nobody was expecting it.

Yeah ha that "the other person just did something awesome so I will play something stupid" trope is a favorite in jam circles for some good humor :lol:  I do it often myself, sometimes purposefully playing a solo 1/2 off the key we are in or cramming the SCOM riff into a song lol

• Like 1

Breakdown's instrumental is phenomenal and so is Axl's voice during the song.  The "break down, let me here ya" part is weird but Axl did some weird things back then that kind of took away from song songs unfortunately.  I like spoken word outro tho.  I think breakdown is a great song.

Get in the Ring and Shotgun Blues are the two most forgettable GnR songs IMO.  Neither is especially bad, neither is good either.  They are just there.  I like them if I listen to them every now and then but honestly skip them most of the time.  I feel the same way about bad apples. It just doesn't resonate with me.  And You Ain't the First is a little too slow / country for me.

23 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

What do you think he did that took away from songs? Just curious 

Off the top of my head the 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 part in perfect crime, the really long cryyyyyyy at the end of don't cry, "breakdown, let me hear ya", "cool ranch dressing" lol, and as much as I love and adore locomotive his vocal approach is kind of annoying in it with how he sings it with that super nasaly voice.  Locomotive is one of their best songs IMO but if he sung it with the voice he uses during the "I bought me an illusion and put it on my wall..." part it would be even better IMO.

Idk, I love all these songs but every now and then Axl would just do something I would question lol 

I also realize some people might consider all this stuff classic parts of the illusion albums and I respect that too :)

Edited by Bitchisback
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

Get in the Ring and Shotgun Blues are the two most forgettable GnR songs IMO.  Neither is especially bad, neither is good either.  They are just there.  I like them if I listen to them every now and then but honestly skip them most of the time.  I feel the same way about bad apples. It just doesn't resonate with me.  And You Ain't the First is a little too slow / country for me.

Those and Perfect Crime are the "fillers" on UYI. And My World, but I don't think that is a song.

6 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

I like spoken word outro tho.  I think breakdown is a great song.

It doesn't fit because he's trying to be funny, but this is a pretty personal and dark song lyrically, like Estranged and Coma. No need for him to try and be a comedian, it doesn't work in a song like that, maybe it would work in a ''joke'' song.

I've said it before, but the many vocal overdubs Axl did on UYI is one of the few things I don't like about those records. Someone should have talked him out of all those cheesy lines that appear on too many of the songs. Same goes for those unnecessary sighs on songs like So Fine. 

• Like 1

Listening to the footage on YouTube….everyone sounds good and Axl is still getting stronger. Certainly less voice cracks and more consistent.

The gigs towards the end of this leg are gonna be killer. I just hope the trajectory continues into Europe next year! 🤣

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Man Perfect Crime is one of my favorites especially live in 91! Axl possessed! 

and love the 1-8 countdown before the solo

The Yt vid of Perfect Crime opening the show in 91 was intense, it was rock n' roll on steroids, sooo good. 

Countdown before solo is awesome 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Blackstar said:

GnR always liked to play covers that were not part of the catalogue (Dead Flowers, Dust In the Wind, It's Alright, etc.), so that's not a new thing.

Yes, probably two or more of them at the same show is a bit too much, but the two they're currently playing (Wichita Lineman and the Seeker) sound good, plus the Seeker isn't played at every show and it's very short, so it doesn't really take the place of another song.

I think Wichita Lineman sounds more than good, it's great. Should be released at least digitally. The band just hits a certain vibe while performing it and Axl sings it perfectly. They've got the whole thing ready with Richard doing his thing and Slash on the acoustic and also Duff came up with a cool bass lick while Axl holds long notes which isn't how it is in the original version which makes it kinda like a signature thing. 10/10. Can even be a part of a covers EP after the release of the next album.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

I think Wichita Lineman sounds more than good, it's great. Should be released at least digitally. The band just hits a certain vibe while performing it and Axl's sings it perfectly. They've got the whole thing ready with Richard doing his thing and Slash on the acoustic and also Duff came up with a cool bass lick while Axl holds long notes which isn't how it is in the original version which makes it kinda like a signature thing. 10/10. Can even be a part of a covers EP after the release of the next album.

Yes, I totally agree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

I think Wichita Lineman sounds more than good, it's great. Should be released at least digitally. The band just hits a certain vibe while performing it and Axl sings it perfectly. They've got the whole thing ready with Richard doing his thing and Slash on the acoustic and also Duff came up with a cool bass lick while Axl holds long notes which isn't how it is in the original version which makes it kinda like a signature thing. 10/10. Can even be a part of a covers EP after the release of the next album.

It's not my favorite song but GNR do it really well.

11 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

Off the top of my head the 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 part in perfect crime, the really long cryyyyyyy at the end of don't cry, "breakdown, let me hear ya", "cool ranch dressing" lol, and as much as I love and adore locomotive his vocal approach is kind of annoying in it with how he sings it with that super nasaly voice.  Locomotive is one of their best songs IMO but if he sung it with the voice he uses during the "I bought me an illusion and put it on my wall..." part it would be even better IMO.

Idk, I love all these songs but every now and then Axl would just do something I would question lol 

I also realize some people might consider all this stuff classic parts of the illusion albums and I respect that too :)

I don't mind his delivery on Locomotive as a whole, but I do mind all that wailing over the outro. Just let me listen to Slash!

• Like 1

Finally got around to KOHD to hear the smoke on the water thing.. Fun but a bit anti climatic hah.

Watched the whole 14 minutes and enjoyed it.. People can say what they want and I would also like it a little more like the old versions but the crowd eats it up every time.. I don't mind all the soloing at all.  Maybe a little less Fortus but the back and forth stuff can be pretty cool. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Finally got around to KOHD to hear the smoke on the water thing.. Fun but a bit anti climatic hah.

Watched the whole 14 minutes and enjoyed it.. People can say what they want and I would also like it a little more like the old versions but the crowd eats it up every time.. I don't mind all the soloing at all.  Maybe a little less Fortus but the back and forth stuff can be pretty cool. 

Oh God, it's beyond tedious. Always found it the opportune time for a piss break. And they'll still be fucking playing it when you get back.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 2