Do you think Axl knew music theory?

1 hour ago, mcmurray said:

When you learn Elton John by ear, you're learning music theory whether you realise it or not. Same goes for learning any music by ear.

Exactly! you are learning "oh these chords work well together", putting a name on it and understanding the nitty gritty is just the next step of that.

Let's start a mygnr theory corner!!!

*Tom has left the group*😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Let's start a mygnr theory corner!!!

Axl sang prostitute with clean vox because the song is him about not doing what he doesn't want to do to please others and earn big bucks, so he sang in clean because people generally want him to rasp and dislike his new clean vox (at least i assume they do)

is my theory 10/10?

55 minutes ago, lumenx said:

Axl sang prostitute with clean vox because the song is him about not doing what he doesn't want to do to please others and earn big bucks, so he sang in clean because people generally want him to rasp and dislike his new clean vox (at least i assume they do)

is my theory 10/10?

11/10

So you think the folk I have posited could have 'done a bit better' if they had had some music theory?

Would you believe it, I am watching an interview with Jarvis Cocker  and Paul McCartney and Paul is talking about not having ever studied music theory!

Edited by DurhamGirl

Speaking for myself. I hit a wall, creatively, when I reached the limits of my musical knowledge. So I’ve sent myself ‘back to school’ so to speak, for music theory and technique.

And now that I’m (slowly) learning and growing as a musician, I am flourishing creatively. 

It all depends on the forms one is drawn towards, I suppose.

And as others have already spoken well too - when I’m in the creative moment, it’s not clouded by theory. I’m just there in the moment, capturing the tune from the ether.

And hopefully soon when the muse says “sweep-pick that shit!” My fingers will be able to comply!! :headbang:

• Like 2