Ripe For A Remake?

bucketfoot

Some Albert Brookes films from late 80s- early 90s would be great,

The Muse

Defending your Life

Mother

^^ They've just got such a creatively unique and pleasant way about them. Could use some sprucing up though.

The recent Anne of Green Gables remake "Anne" was incredible, so I have faith in remakes.

• Like 1

To elaborate slightly, I would love to see The Running Man done closer to the original Stephen King book, the 1987 movie was only loosely based on the source material. I think it would also benefit from a much larger budget and a more skilled director at the helm. Love the Arnie version for what it is, I just want to see someone have another crack at it.

Flash is long overdue an update.

Can't stand remakes myself.  They are indicative of an empty creative well and cynicism and thats not want I want from cinema.  Cinema is a very special medium, I think its going to outlast the music industry in terms of cultural value, I just think so much more can be done with mainstream cinema.  Remakes and superhero films and reboots and re-whatevers just bore the fuckin' pants off of me if I'm honest.  I don't even regard spoofs that highly in the field of comedy because...well, you can sort of see the whole joke before you even start watching, though I understand they are just supposed to be a fun bit of fluff really.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Can't stand remakes myself.  They are indicative of an empty creative well and cynicism and thats not want I want from cinema.  Cinema is a very special medium, I think its going to outlast the music industry in terms of cultural value, I just think so much more can be done with mainstream cinema.  Remakes and superhero films and reboots and re-whatevers just bore the fuckin' pants off of me if I'm honest.  I don't even regard spoofs that highly in the field of comedy because...well, you can sort of see the whole joke before you even start watching, though I understand they are just supposed to be a fun bit of fluff really.

I can see what you mean. Nostalgia is fueling cinema more than creativity.

(Speaking as someone who claims no film knowledge whatsoever...) But, in some cases, remakes also help present day people more fully understand the statements and commentary being presented in the film. They update the context and references, cultural norms, etc, so that present day people can appreciate it more readily. And maybe if they werent presented in a way that is readily digestible for todays audience, then the original films would drift into an obscurity that only the most cultured film buff will find it in? I dunno, is there also a sentimentality and nostalgia to that way of positioning films?

Like is there a limited pool of historic films whose statements and commentary are so incisive that they should be brought to the masses in a manner that they too can hear and understand those statements? I suppose the film could be remade or its ethos retold in a new story? Or is it truly on the cinema audience to read the coles notes of historic cinema, find a forum to walk them through it, and struggle through watching the originals?

Again, I have no position on the matter. Just curious what you think?

On 9/13/2020 at 9:47 AM, DieselDaisy said:

I detest remakes I'm afraid. Wouldn't a modern Running Man just be The Hunger Games basically? A Conan sequel (Legend of Conan) has also been in development hell for the best part of thirty years. Think they were thinking along remake lines at one stage also, or soft-reboot.

There actually already was a Conan reboot in 2011, with Jason Mamoa in place of Arnold. It didn’t do well, tho, so now they’re trying to revert back to the original continuity and do a “force awakens style” reboot, with Arnold back.

• Haha 1

(Speaking as someone who claims no film knowledge whatsoever...) But, in some cases, remakes also help present day people more fully understand the statements and commentary being presented in the film. They update the context and references, cultural norms, etc, so that present day people can appreciate it more readily. And maybe if they werent presented in a way that is readily digestible for todays audience, then the original films would drift into an obscurity that only the most cultured film buff will find it in?

See theoretically thats great but...you don't need to spray-stencil and graff up the pyramids for people to understand why they are a marvel, its the persons job to find out why something is highly regarded.  You can take something like, oh I dunno, Kiss Me Deadly, do a modern version and even make a good 90 mins or whatever of it but...you lose the 1950s, you lose the now lost Los Angelian architecture, you lose the clothes, you lose the tone, you lose the living in the shadow of the atom bomb tension. 

Like is there a limited pool of historic films whose statements and commentary are so incisive that they should be brought to the masses in a manner that they too can hear and understand those statements? I suppose the film could be remade or its ethos retold in a new story? Or is it truly on the cinema audience to read the coles notes of historic cinema, find a forum to walk them through it, and struggle through watching the originals?

I don't believe in pandering.  If something interests you and you wanna know then its on you to go look it up.  Some of my favourite films now are films I saw as a child and didn't quite understand so I went back and back because there was just a little (or a lot of) something there and like...its like any endeavour, you benefit from commitment.  Cinema is just such an amazing invaluable thing in my life, I don't want like...a modern version (this is just me personally), part of what I loved always about movies and the escapism of movies is that they took me to a world I will never know, if I'm watching the Red Pony I'm there on a horse farm with Robert Mitchum, if I'm watching some hard-boiled 50s type shit I'm there on the streets with Richard Widmark or whoever in the rain, its escapism, it takes me away from the bullshit of my daily life to an unfamiliar (though now its kinda comfortably familiar through the medium but you know what I mean), its this thing that can transport me to Hells Kitchen in the 30s or Shizuoka Japan, I don't need this homogenizing translation, I want the tones and the colours and feel and the film stock and the shades and shadows, I don't want anyone to turn the lights on in film noir. 

But really my reaction is mostly coloured by like...just this constant stream of that shit that we have nowadays, perhaps I would feel different about it there wasn't such a fuckin' glut of them nowadays.  I really believe what Scorsese said recently about movies being turned into like theme parks now at the expense of like...communicating some sort of idea or emotion or...its like an ooh and an aaah thing...and the more times you go on a rollercoaster the more blaise you become about them. 

• Thanks 1

Are movies really that sacred though?

The Thing

The Fly

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers

Scarface

Heat

Ocean's Eleven...

...off the top of my head

Remakes CAN in many instances far surpass the originals.

It's true that there have been a lot of pointless remakes and some films are such classics, there's no reason to touch them at all but it's like saying a cover version of a song can't improve on the original. I don't believe that's the case either.

• Like 1

I’m not averse to remakes in general I just think that it’s pointless unless you can do something interesting with it. The Fly and The Thing benefitted from advances in visual effects from the 50s to the 80s and were both amazing movies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bucketfoot said:

Are movies really that sacred though?

The Thing

The Fly

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers

Scarface

Heat

Ocean's Eleven...

...off the top of my head

Remakes CAN in many instances far surpass the originals.

It's true that there have been a lot of pointless remakes and some films are such classics, there's no reason to touch them at all but it's like saying a cover version of a song can't improve on the original. I don't believe that's the case either.

Its not a question of being sacred its just...why encourage and proliferate something that will almost inevitably be third rate?  Like the great Joe Strummer said ‘the way to a better world is to not put up with a sub-standard anything’.  I like the sound of that.  Then again he also sang ‘vaccum cleaner sucks up budgie!’ :lol: 

• Haha 1

Not sure but someone told me they are re-making the Exorcist. I don't know how much better it could be? I mean this movie still freaks me out even though it was made before I was born, but I did get to see it when it was re-released with added footage. 

I want horror writers to continue with the Friday the 13th movies and another Freddie. I'm glad that Halloween has two more movies coming out, but I do love the other horror movies too.

I wasn't too happy with the new Child's play. It was okay. I did like how they did make it for the times.

I know Jason is still out there somewhere!

Maybe another Beetlejuice. Not a re-make, just a sequel.

• 11 months later...