You Could Be Mine Demo 87 88 89 90?

The exclusion of YCBM in the AFD box pretty much only means that it wasn't recorded at Mystic or Sound City. As a counter point to the people who are saying that November Rain and Back Off were released there's the fact that Don't Cry was recorded at Sound City, yet it was omitted. I don't think YCBM being omitted from the AFD box has any real implication to whether or not it was recorded before or while AFD was recorded.

I seem to recall someone from the band saying they didn't finish the song until the UYI sessions, maybe that's why it wasn't released, just wasn't done. Some lyrics of it are in the AFD booklet.

I'm quite optimistic a rehearsal of it with Adler would exist though in 1989, possibly in the Mates rehearsals which still haven't leaked in full, there's versions of Coma and Bad Apples from those with Adler on them that haven't leaked, too.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

5 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I seem to recall someone from the band saying they didn't finish the song until the UYI sessions, maybe that's why it wasn't released, just wasn't done. Some lyrics of it are in the AFD booklet.

I'm quite optimistic a rehearsal of it with Adler would exist though in 1989, possibly in the Mates rehearsals which still haven't leaked in full, there's versions of Coma and Bad Apples from those with Adler on them that haven't leaked, too.

Love to hear Coma with Adler!

21 hours ago, soon said:

Come to think of it, I dont think theres any guitar feedback on AFD??

Rocket Queen's intro. I guess WTTJ break too?

10 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Not studio demos, but the 1989 Mates rehearsal has Don't Damn Me, Locomotive, Garden of Eden, and Dust N' Bones.

Not sure I heard Don't Damn Me from that tape. Is it any good? I remember I heard just an almost final version with a different take on Axl's.

• Like 1

The reference in Kerrang, in 1991:

"THE BAND had a rough demo of 'You Could Be Mine’ when they were holed up in Kensington on their first trip to the UK back in the Summer of ’87. Between those famous Marquee gigs, they played a song on a ghetto blaster and sang Axl’s lines in rough harmony. The band are now a little older and a lot richer, but this song is still the same hard bastard, only with cooler guitar breaks" [Paul Elliot, Kerrang! June 20, 1991]. 

In 1988, Duff mentioned a song called "Cocaine Talking" which seemingly was You Could Be Mine. The funny thing is that he referred to it as if it had already been released :lol::

Duff: We don’t do drugs - but we do drink a lot. A lot of the drug rumors about us started because we have a song called 'Cocaine Talking' on the album. But that song’s not about us or our experiences with the drug. If you listen to the lyrics, it’s about how all these nice young girls in L.A. can’t do anything before they do their coke. The song’s definitely not a pro-cocaine song. It’s about how the shit really fucks up your head [Hit Parader, October 1988]

Then, in 1993, he was asked in an interview about the lines from the lyrics of YCBM in the credits of AFD (I don't know what was worse and funnier, the question or Duff's answer :lol:):

Q: By the way, something that has always intrigued me: that phrase in the credits of Appetite for Destruction, "With Your Bitch Slap Rappin 'And Your Cocaine Tongue You Get Nothin' Done." What does it mean?

Duff: It doesn’t mean anything. And if it means something, I don’t remember it.  [Popular 1, September 1993]

The excerpts from Slash's autobiography:

Slash: We booked ourselves time at S.I.R. studios with Mike [Clink] at the board, the band felt free to be ourselves; at our very first preproduction session, we started writing what would later become 'You Could Be Mine.' (...) We weren't in there to write new material, but we were so comfortable that it just came to us. [...]  'You Could Be Mine' was another track that wasn't new: it was written during the Appetite sessions and I always felt that it should have been on that album, because it is more reminiscent of that time than anything else on the Use Your Illusion albums.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Not sure I heard Don't Damn Me from that tape. Is it any good? I remember I heard just an almost final version with a different take on Axl's.

I think there's 2 takes of DDM on that tape, but it's all instrumental. The one with alt vocals is from Axl's Advance Copy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

The excerpts from Slash's autobiography:

Slash: We booked ourselves time at S.I.R. studios with Mike [Clink] at the board, the band felt free to be ourselves; at our very first preproduction session, we started writing what would later become 'You Could Be Mine.' (...) We weren't in there to write new material, but we were so comfortable that it just came to us. [...]  'You Could Be Mine' was another track that wasn't new: it was written during the Appetite sessions and I always felt that it should have been on that album, because it is more reminiscent of that time than anything else on the Use Your Illusion albums.

Could that be the the reason why Axl has included YCBM in the rerecorded version of AfD? 

Edited by Sosso

4 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Yes don’t damn me from that rehearsal IMO was great. Steven gave the song a different vibe.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IrishgunnerII said:

Yes don’t damn me from that rehearsal IMO was great. Steven gave the song a different vibe.

Totally. Izzy said something along the lines of, when Matt joined the band the music got much more of a harder metal edge instead of the loose rock swagger they had with Steven on AFD. I think on songs that are more complex, like Estranged, that totally worked, but I think songs like Pretty Tied Up totally suffered from that switch and would have been better with Steven.

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

The reference in Kerrang, in 1991:

"THE BAND had a rough demo of 'You Could Be Mine’ when they were holed up in Kensington on their first trip to the UK back in the Summer of ’87. Between those famous Marquee gigs, they played a song on a ghetto blaster and sang Axl’s lines in rough harmony. The band are now a little older and a lot richer, but this song is still the same hard bastard, only with cooler guitar breaks" [Paul Elliot, Kerrang! June 20, 1991]. 

That pretty much confirms they have a demo of it from 1987 right? Wow I did not expect that.

Also LOL at Duffs comment.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

From a commercial prospective it makes sense they held back the song -- UYI needed it. I wonder if that was an explicit part of the consideration (especially since Slash said he thought it would have been better on AFD).

Is the interest for this demo not only a completionism impulse but also an acknowledgement that YCBM in it's released form is too glossy? Too polished? Also, I can't quite figure out from that quote if the demo actually has vocals from Axl: were they singing along with him or singing where he would be? 

Either way -- IMAGINE IF AFD HAD YCBM... for some reason the mind reels. An amazing classic song slotted into an already stacked album. Would it have been seen as single worthy amid the other classics? Or would it have become more like Out Ta Get Me and ISE? I wonder where it would have been in the track listing -- would AFD physically have been able to fit 13 songs? Or would it need to replace one?

If they had to replace one, I think it would have been:

10. YCBM

11. YC

12. RC

Reset the menace levels after SCOM. Give the last leg that gas boost to drive it home. 

Or

10. YC

11. YCBM

12. RC

With YCBM as the sinister finale and RC as the sexy epilogue. 

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ant said:

From a commercial prospective it makes sense they held back the song -- UYI needed it. I wonder if that was an explicit part of the consideration (especially since Slash said he thought it would have been better on AFD).

Is the interest for this demo not only a completionism impulse but also an acknowledgement that YCBM in it's released form is too glossy? Too polished? Also, I can't quite figure out from that quote if the demo actually has vocals from Axl: were they singing along with him or singing where he would be? 

Either way -- IMAGINE IF AFD HAD YCBM... for some reason the mind reels. An amazing classic song slotted into an already stacked album. Would it have been seen as single worthy amid the other classics? Or would it have become more like Out Ta Get Me and ISE? I wonder where it would have been in the track listing -- would AFD physically have been able to fit 13 songs? Or would it need to replace one?

10. YCBM

11. YC

12. RC

Reset the menace levels after SCOM. Give the last leg that gas boost to drive it home. 

Or

10. YC

11. YCBM

12. RC

I'm pretty sure that YCBM would have replaced You're Crazy instead of Anything Goes

10. YCBM

11. Anything Goes

12. Rocket Queen

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ant said:

Either way -- IMAGINE IF AFD HAD YCBM... for some reason the mind reels. An amazing classic song slotted into an already stacked album. I wonder where it would have been in the track listing -- would AFD physically have been able to fit 13 songs? Or would it need to replace one?

10. YCBM

11. YC

12. RC

Or

10. YC

11. YCBM

12. RC

I Like This ^

YCBM gave UYI a Appetite era GnR Kick Ass feel. Without it there wouldn't have been a stronger Song before the transition ot the UYI Ballads.

But what song could YCBM replace on AFD?

YCBM on ''Lies'' is also an Interesting throught.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ant said:

What! You're f'n crazy!

... oh child!

:D 

The electrified version of You're Crazy was the weakest part of the album anyway. Replacing this turd with another classic tune would have made sense. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

@ everyone saying it wluld sound drastically different than what we have on UYI: i doubt it, the mates rehearsal has adler on it and locomotive sounded fundamentally the same, aka seems like Matt played what Adler played, regardless of the fact that he said mo one asked him to replicate his drum parts

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, YouCouldBeMine_2029 said:

on ''Lies'' is also an Interesting throught.

Wow yeah I didn't even consider that.

'89 was like serious GNR mania... releasing a song like YCBM along with and in contrast to Patience -- capitalize on the delayed explosion of AFD's popularity -- that's a cool what if! Even thinking about an '89 version of UYI is fun to think about :). 

Edited by Ant

18 minutes ago, Sosso said:

The electrified version of You're Crazy was the weakest part of the album anyway. Replacing this turd with another classic tune would have made sense. 

I think You're Crazy gets overshadowed because the Lies version is so great, but the AFD version is still a good song. Anything Goes is the weakest IMO, and if anything would've replaced it, it probably would've been SOYL (which they released not long after AFD came out anyway.)

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 3:02 PM, YouCouldBeMine_2029 said:

Ok. 1987, Wonder if they had it during the recording of AFD?

YCBM on AFD....That would be Something.

In 99’ when Axl was said to release the new afd with new guns, I’m pretty sure YCBM was going to replace anything goes. Obviously AFD 99’ was never released 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mikeman5150 said:

In 99’ when Axl was said to release the new afd with new guns, I’m pretty sure YCBM was going to replace anything goes. Obviously AFD 99’ was never released 

He replaced two songs. 

YCBM instead of You're Crazy

Patience instead of Anything Goes 

Axl said that they had to rehearse those songs to play them live. I have the theory that we already heard most of the songs from the rerecorded album without being aware of it. We just heard the live versions and not studio versions. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sosso said:

He replaced two songs. 

YCBM instead of You're Crazy

Patience instead of Anything Goes 

Axl said that they had to rehearse those songs to play them live. I have the theory that we already heard most of the songs from the rerecorded album without being aware of it. We just heard the live versions and not studio versions. 

Yeah I forgot about patience