You Could Be Mine Demo 87 88 89 90?

1 hour ago, Ant said:

From a commercial prospective it makes sense they held back the song -- UYI needed it. I wonder if that was an explicit part of the consideration (especially since Slash said he thought it would have been better on AFD).

How would they have considered that, unless they had a crystal ball in 1987? UYI wasn't even thought of yet, and they haven't even released Lies then.

31 minutes ago, Sosso said:

He replaced two songs. 

YCBM instead of You're Crazy

Patience instead of Anything Goes 

Axl said that they had to rehearse those songs to play them live. I have the theory that we already heard most of the songs from the rerecorded album without being aware of it. We just heard the live versions and not studio versions. 

YCBM would have 99% replaced Anything Goes because while recording AFD,the band didn't  even want to record that song anymore (probably thinking it's too weak, which many people agree with). Tom Zutaut talked them into recording it and that's the reason it is on Appetite.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

How would they have considered that, unless they had a crystal ball in 1987? UYI wasn't even thought of yet, and they haven't even released Lies then.

Yeah I just thought maybe Axl was thinking long-term! If they felt comfortable with the older tunes from 85/86 and were piecing together a track list — suddenly YCBM materializes late in the game — Axl’s grand plan machinations might have engaged to some degree. Keep one in the chamber. Is that totally crazy??

Edited by Ant

15 hours ago, IrishgunnerII said:

Yes don’t damn me from that rehearsal IMO was great. Steven gave the song a different vibe.

Awesome! I'll try to search for it. :)

12 hours ago, Mendez said:

@ everyone saying it wluld sound drastically different than what we have on UYI: i doubt it, the mates rehearsal has adler on it and locomotive sounded fundamentally the same, aka seems like Matt played what Adler played, regardless of the fact that he said mo one asked him to replicate his drum parts

I get what you're saying, but to me the most interesting part of Matt's drumming on Locomotive is the outro, which is absent from the demo. I've always wondered if that outro was an Axl idea because of how much the piano contrasts with the heavy riff-based structure of the rest of the song.

• Like 2