AC/DC - Power Up available November 13

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Beyond that though, there was a lot to enjoy as an AC/DC fan also. The shows were a solid 45 mins longer than your typical AC/DC gig with roughly 6-7 songs more every night than was typical with Brian

Not sure I can add much at 17 pages, but this album fucking bangs! - I liked SITD when it dropped but the album as a whole is much, much better than I anticipated.  - Brian literally sounds

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I think I can finally rank the songs on Power Up after 5+ listens:
1. Through The Mists Of Time
2. Realize
3. Demon Fire
4. Money Shot
5. Systems Down
6. Shot In The Dark
7. Witches Spell
8. Wild Reputation
9. Kick You When You're Down
10. No Man's Land
11. Code Red
12. Rejection

First nine on that list are excellent, last three are good. I might've felt different about Code Red if it was placed different on the album, I just really don't like how similar it is to Black Ice and Emission Control as a closing track. 

If they are eventually able to tour in support of Power Up, which songs does everyone think are most likely to make the cut and be played live?

Realize, Rejection, Demon Fire and TTMOT. The first 2 because Angus said he likes them best, Demon Fire because Brian already said they rehearsed it before Covid, and TTMOT because they often mention it in interviews and it reminds Brian of Mal.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
12 hours ago, DownUnderScott said:

Soon is the word! (Sorry)

I’m on the couch with Jack Daniels in hand ready to watch it on 60 minutes.

These boys, in this actual band, know how to get out there and promote an album 👍

I thought it was a good and fun interview. I do have a confession, ive never seen them in concert. Sacreligous i know :facepalm:. If and when they tour here i will be absolutely getting a ticket.

Edited by Sydney Fan
5 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I didn’t mention that either about Angus other than all his lead-rhythm stuff. This is really a great album from him in particular. A lot of the solos are instantly memorable and iconic, something that has been lacking by and large for quite some time. This is the most inspired guitar work from Angus since at least TRE, if not earlier. 

The thing with Realize is it’s the first album opener since really Thunderstruck that really has a sense of urgency and energy to it. Hard As A Rock, Rock N’ Roll Train, and Rock Or Bust are all more back-beat, in the pocket rockers, the former of which also suffers from a mellow intro, and then Stiff Upper Lip is more of a bluesy song. Of those, only RNR Train and SUL work as openers (And the latter really only works because it sets the tone for that album). But Realize is really a throwback to the big, bombastic opening tracks of the 70’s and 80’s to me. 

The one thing i love about realize is the background harmonies throughout the song. Who are doing them?.

14 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

The one thing i love about realize is the background harmonies throughout the song. Who are doing them?.

Stevie and Cliff sang all of the background vocals. 

• Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

Some interesting little tidbits from the band’s Twitter account today:

- Brian said if he had to pick a song to open the next tour, it would be Demon Fire. 
- Angus sings on demos, then Brendan O’Brien reworks the vocal lines into Brian’s register. 
- Through The Mists Of Time dates back to the Stiff Upper Lip era. 
- The songs Brian would most look forward to playing live are Demon Fire, Systems Down, Code Red, Through The Mists Of Time, Realize, and Kick You When You’re Down. 
- Realize dates back to the Black Ice era. 

And most importantly...

[spoiler]Brian makes the best pasta sauce in town :book:[/spoiler]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm really curious about the other unreleased songs now. Thank You Angus for teasing more material :lol:

Angus and Mal wrote HUNDREDS of songs between SUL and BI and there are also unreleased songs from the 80s and 90s.

24 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Some interesting little tidbits from the band’s Twitter account today:

- Brian said if he had to pick a song to open the next tour, it would be Demon Fire. 
- Angus sings on demos, then Brendan O’Brien reworks the vocal lines into Brian’s register. 
- Through The Mists Of Time dates back to the Stiff Upper Lip era. 
- The songs Brian would most look forward to playing live are Demon Fire, Systems Down, Code Red, Through The Mists Of Time, Realize, and Kick You When You’re Down. 
- Realize dates back to the Black Ice era. 

And most importantly...

[spoiler]Brian makes the best pasta sauce in town :book:[/spoiler]

Correction, he actually said all of them:lol:

What tracks are you most looking forward to playing live?

- Beside Demon Fire, Systems Down, Code Red, Mists of Time, Realize, Why Do They Kick You When Your Down…a screw it the whole album... - Brian #PLAYPWRU

5 hours ago, Sosso said:

Do we know that for sure? For Rock or Bust Mike Fraser said that Stevie didn't actually sing anything and it was mostly Angus and Cliff mixed with Brian's doubling and Brendan O'Brien himself (just as Mutt's voice is all over the three albums he produced). I figured it would be more of the same this time around.

On 11/13/2020 at 4:34 PM, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Standout track for me after my first listen.

Just wanna say ac dc knows how to promote their latest album, I am in Holland right now and shot in the dark it's on radio at least 3 times a day, Dutch Veronica, it's still a TV channel which by the way they broadcast the Paris 1992 concert 2 times, once in 92 once in 93,like I said back in time I was witness of music how it should reach audiences, in 95 when ac/dc ball breaker was realeaed it was all over radio and TV, razors edge the same, stiff upper lip 2000 these guys knows how to promote, well I wish to find out Angus adres from Holland, just want to say hallo to him

6 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I thought it was a good and fun interview. I do have a confession, ive never seen them in concert. Sacreligous i know :facepalm:. If and when they tour here i will be absolutely getting a ticket.

I wish they would get themselves back to Australia and start their PowerUp tour here. I mean with so few Covid-19 cases it makes sense. They can play here in Brisbane to 50 000 at Suncorp stadium and probably big crowds in most other states too. F*ck it, I'll call their manager right now... :D

It was cool to see Axl on the t.v last night for a few seconds, sharing the stage with the boys. 

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

I wish they would get themselves back to Australia and start their PowerUp tour here. I mean with so few Covid-19 cases it makes sense. They can play here in Brisbane to 50 000 at Suncorp stadium and probably big crowds in most other states too. F*ck it, I'll call their manager right now... :D

It was cool to see Axl on the t.v last night for a few seconds, sharing the stage with the boys. 

Yep id love to start their tour here, and who knows they might.!. :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, DownUnderScott said:

Australia has done a good job of managing the pandemic, but I just don’t see it happening anytime soon still. Just look at South Australia - over 100 days with no new locally transmitted cases, and in the span of 24 hours dozens have popped up and state borders are shut down again. Too much unpredictability to be able to plan a tour. Not to mention, they wouldn’t want to get the touring machine running to play five dates and then have to wait to be able to play elsewhere. 

On 11/16/2020 at 12:27 AM, Sosso said:

I don‘t think so... on ROB Angus, Cliff and BOB did the backing vocals and I think that‘s what they did this time as well. 

Did you hear  Stevie‘s backing vocals on the ROB tour? He‘s a great rhythm guitarist but sure as hell not a good singer:lol: 

Edited by SAU3R
  • Haha 1
19 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Australia has done a good job of managing the pandemic, but I just don’t see it happening anytime soon still. Just look at South Australia - over 100 days with no new locally transmitted cases, and in the span of 24 hours dozens have popped up and state borders are shut down again. Too much unpredictability to be able to plan a tour. Not to mention, they wouldn’t want to get the touring machine running to play five dates and then have to wait to be able to play elsewhere. 

Yeah I get what your'e saying. Although here in Brisbane, Queensland, tomorrow night we will have a packed stadium of 50 000 people (with really no social distancing at all) to watch a rugby game. I think this may be the largest outdoor event crowd in the world since the pandemic.  So Australia is probably best placed to have live concerts at the moment,  it would be a great place for bands with itchy feet to get performing again and make some serious money!

Like you said though, the unpredictable nature of the virus outbreaks would be a possible obstace to organising a big national tour with the chance the promoters investment doesn't pay off.

On 11/7/2020 at 11:36 PM, Silent Jay said:

I like Realize Rejection Mists Of Time and Witchs Spell. I think Demon Fire is too weak to be the second single. Realize has that Thunderstruck vibe and nostalgia that I like. I've been listening a lot to Realize and Mists of Time, the backing vocals are very well done, they sound evil but very hooky like those on the Razors Edge album.  Those breathing backing vocals on Mists of Time in particular are fantastic. Wild Reputation is very similar to Got Some RnR Thunder I like it. No Man's Land has that Money Made vibe too, the riffs are great.

Agree with Demon fire! It's not the strongest song on the album. I know why it was chosen as the 2nd song though - because it's fast etc. But I think Realise was the better follow up, Systems down would be a good option too. 

I like everything about Code red besides the chorus. Kinda reminds me on 70s Aerosmith, especially the verse vocal phrasing.

One other small criticism is the ordering of the tracks. They put Realize and Rejection back to back, it sounds almost like the same song with a new section. Think Rejectuon would have been better moved away from that spot. I like both songs though!

I like the album, WAY better than Rock or Bust. It's also got much better solos, some of which remind of the 80s albums - bit more grit and er... fire power 😉 behind them! 

Much more solid than I hoped, for me it's a bit better than black ice. Although none of the songs are as good as Rock n roll train.

• Like 1

Enjoyable album. No real truly standout transcending songs but enjoyed it from start to finish.

I would be lying if I said I wasn’t a little disappointed that there was nothing from Axl, despite understanding how incredibly remote the chances of it happening were, still a bit gutted by it. Fingers crossed there is something separate between Angus and Axl in the future, think that would be killer.

Edited by CAFC Nick
5 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

Enjoyable album. No real truly standout transcending songs but enjoyed it from start to finish.

I would be lying if I said I was a little disappointed that there was nothing from Axl, despite understanding how incredibly remote the chances of it happening were, still a bit gutted by it. Fingers crossed there is something separate between Angus and Axl in the future, think that would be killer.

I would have enjoyed a studio collaboration with Axl of some sorts too, but let's face it - any new AC/DC record could be their last. I doubt they would want to have any guest on what could be their final studio album. And it's a damn fine album as it is.

Brian is over 70 years old, he already had issues with his hearing severe enough to not be able to finish a tour. On Power Up he kicks the living shit out of most rock singers and he is actually singing not just screaming. I always thought of him as a poor man's Jimmy Barnes (no disrespect) but on Power Up he just totally owns it, no point bringing Axl to the mix.

Also they made it very clear they appreciate Axl and respect him as much as he does respect them, even Brian had good things to say about him. And Angus sure doesn't do guest performances with just any band, but he did for GNR, might happen again in the future, who knows? Even though I think Axl did a great job in AC/DC (why can't he sing this good in his own band?), I'd rather have Angus on stage again with GNR than Axl on an AC/DC record.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, adamsapple said:

I would have enjoyed a studio collaboration with Axl of some sorts too, but let's face it - any new AC/DC record could be their last. I doubt they would want to have any guest on what could be their final studio album. And it's a damn fine album as it is.

Brian is over 70 years old, he already had issues with his hearing severe enough to not be able to finish a tour. On Power Up he kicks the living shit out of most rock singers and he is actually singing not just screaming. I always thought of him as a poor man's Jimmy Barnes (no disrespect) but on Power Up he just totally owns it, no point bringing Axl to the mix.

Also they made it very clear they appreciate Axl and respect him as much as he does respect them, even Brian had good things to say about him. And Angus sure doesn't do guest performances with just any band, but he did for GNR, might happen again in the future, who knows? Even though I think Axl did a great job in AC/DC (why can't he sing this good in his own band?), I'd rather have Angus on stage again with GNR than Axl on an AC/DC record.

Do not disagree with you at all.

I am so ridiculously biased (as he says posting this on a Guns N’ Roses forum...!) so a bit disappointed but fully appreciate why he’s not on the album. If I weren’t a GNR fan then wouldn’t have given it a second thought but he did such an incredible job live and the chemistry was plain to see that the remote chance of it happening really excited me.

• GNFNR 1