AC/DC - Power Up available November 13

SAU3R

44 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Angus is very coy when it comes to business and communication regarding the band. He treats AC/DC as the entity and the people who play as band members as tools to contribute to it. 

Yeah. That kinda got obvious the way they got rid of Brian. Many thought that was kinda cold and too businesslike. Also with Phil. You fuck up/you have problems. You're out.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yeah. That kinda got obvious the way they got rid of Brian. Many thought that was kinda cold and too businesslike. Also with Phil. You fuck up/you have problems. You're out.

Phil dug his own grave, and had legal / drug problems up the wazoo! Not to mention that he had become pretty erratic around the time of the rock or bust recording. As for Brian he could not have and should not have performed that 2016 tour after his hearing loss, but Angus and co should have taken him aside and said clearly "You are the singer of AC/DC, that isn't changing, but right now we have a tour that we need to finish" they handled it wrong, but that's obviously water under the bridge for Angus and Brian... I really don't think it was a "Fuck Brian, we'll get someone else" thing. I think it was simply the machine had temporarily lost a part and it needed to be temporarily replaced. If Axl was singing on this album and Brian was denied doing so, I'd say things were a lot more business than friendly! but almost every band is run like a business now, that's why when a band like Rush is out there and have agreements that it's all for one, one for all it's so unusual. 

14 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Rock N Roll Train, Black Ice, and Rock or Bust are my top 3 from the last 2 albums

Wasn't bowled over by rock or bust, but there's one or two others on that record that I quite liked like 'Rock the house', that's a great riff!

I liked Anything goes. Black Ice is a pretty decent ACDC album, not sure why it's so far down on fans lists considering some of the mid 90s early 00s albums. Besides Stiff upper lip, I can't name one some from that timeframe. 

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Wasn't bowled over by rock or bust, but there's one or two others on that record that I quite liked like 'Rock the house', that's a great riff!

I liked Anything goes. Black Ice is a pretty decent ACDC album, not sure why it's so far down on fans lists considering some of the mid 90s early 00s albums. Besides Stiff upper lip, I can't name one some from that timeframe. 

Those are all decent tracks too. I don't dislike Black Ice as an album, its fine

37 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Those are all decent tracks too. I don't dislike Black Ice as an album, its fine

Fine as fine can be😄 definitely not one I throw on in full very often, but I listened to it a week ago and enjoyed it... like it was fine, but not great!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Phil dug his own grave, and had legal / drug problems up the wazoo! Not to mention that he had become pretty erratic around the time of the rock or bust recording. As for Brian he could not have and should not have performed that 2016 tour after his hearing loss, but Angus and co should have taken him aside and said clearly "You are the singer of AC/DC, that isn't changing, but right now we have a tour that we need to finish" they handled it wrong, but that's obviously water under the bridge for Angus and Brian... I really don't think it was a "Fuck Brian, we'll get someone else" thing. I think it was simply the machine had temporarily lost a part and it needed to be temporarily replaced. If Axl was singing on this album and Brian was denied doing so, I'd say things were a lot more business than friendly! but almost every band is run like a business now, that's why when a band like Rush is out there and have agreements that it's all for one, one for all it's so unusual. 

But they surely made it sound that way. Basically saying "We wish him well, but now we got Axl Rose." makes this pretty clear. They could have stated that they have every intention to keep him as the singer when he gets better or for studio work, but they made it pretty clear that their time with him is up. I saw them twice in 2015 and I don't feel that he shouldn't have done the tour. At least not performance wise. As for getting him back, going on tour with a replacement is one thing, but releasing an album with a new singer is another. To many, it's not really AC/DC anymore with both Malcolm and Brian gone. As for Phil, yeah, he dug his own grave, but still, they just sacked him without any word of support or understanding or friendship or whatever and got Chris. and now, they just drop Chris the same way and apparently do not even have the decency to tell him.

5 hours ago, adamsapple said:

AC/DC tour with GNR opening would be cool, a shorter GNR set can only benefit their performance and impact at this point.

I think many AC/DC fans have come to appreciate Axl from the last tour with AC/DC and most Guns fan sure enjoy AC/DC as well - perfect match.

That actually wouldn't be a terrible idea when tours are able to resume. I'd welcome a co-headline tour. Shorter sets (90 minutes to two hours) would help Brian too.

• Like 2

A co-headliner AC/DC and GNR tour seems like a no brainer to me. Angus could play some songs with GNR, Axl could sing some with AC/DC

They could both be promoting new records for each band (yeah right). It would be like the GNR/Metallica tour but since they are older there would not be any bullshit from Axl (hopefully)

It would make a bazillion dollars, too

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

But they surely made it sound that way. Basically saying "We wish him well, but now we got Axl Rose." makes this pretty clear. They could have stated that they have every intention to keep him as the singer when he gets better or for studio work, but they made it pretty clear that their time with him is up. I saw them twice in 2015 and I don't feel that he shouldn't have done the tour. At least not performance wise. As for getting him back, going on tour with a replacement is one thing, but releasing an album with a new singer is another. To many, it's not really AC/DC anymore with both Malcolm and Brian gone. As for Phil, yeah, he dug his own grave, but still, they just sacked him without any word of support or understanding or friendship or whatever and got Chris. and now, they just drop Chris the same way and apparently do not even have the decency to tell him.

I agree with 2015. The show I saw was just fine, awesome in fact. I didn't notice Brian having issues, but health can change fast and it sounded like his (or his Doctor's) decision to take a step back in 2016. I also agree that it wasn't really AC/DC without Brian at that point. I mean, it was, but it wasn't. Same thing as NuGNR. As an Axl fan, I would have loved to get an Axl/DC recording, but now that Brian can do this it is his rightful place and I am glad Angus has brought him and the rest of the gang back. 

It is a drag that Angus is so "business only" when it comes to the band, Brian especially deserved a lot more respect in how that was handled, but hopefully things are good and work out now for for a proper band send off

• Like 2

AC/DC stopped being a proper band since they were signed by Columbia Records. That was the turning point in their history. This band became a business model and anyone but Angus and Stevie are replaceable.

Edited by Sosso

3 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yeh, they run their business very weird. That Chris Slade was still doing interviews as little as 2 months ago saying "I am the AC/DC drummer" is just crazy. I Just can't fathom how he can't pick up the phone and reach Angus and ask "Am I still playing in the band"... maybe he never made that call? maybe he did but he got no answer... either way it's fucking weird. I'm not really a fan of Slades playing outside of the material he was actually on originally, and I'm happy Rudd is back... but that's besides the point. AC/DC should be clear with the people they hire "you're here in a temporary role, Phil will eventually be back". 

I thought how they talked about Phil was pretty Australian, they were laughing about what a mess he'd made but they didn't throw him under the bus... they did say he had become difficult and disengaged from the band during Rock or bust, but they didn't say the door was closed for a return.

As for Brian, we all read that initial statement and our jaws collective dropped😄 I think it was poorly worded, but when they did the televised interview they came across much better. It was clear that Axl was there to help, if Brian couldn't come back Axl was willing to do more with them, but Brian wasn't fired, he was just "helped" to the sidelines because he was going to do damage to himself, had he had his way and finished the tour. I would love if they had done that sit down interview with Brian and Axl, Axl paid his respect and Brian said He was looking forward to coming back... but they went the other way altogether!

My first impression was 'After 40 years, you're kicking the guy out and wiping your hands clean?', I thought it was really fucking shitty, but the sit down interview with Axl kinda eased that.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Im wondering if chris cant pick up the phone because he was just a contracted member?. Im sure with contracted players its like dont call us we'll call you. Im sure that will be the same with the other members in GNR.

Agree phil dug his own grave, hes lucky he hasnt been thrown in jail with a lengthy term. I do like chris, mainly because i like the razors edge album, and thunderstruck and money talks dominated the aussie charts when the album and those singles were released. 

I wonder if this will be the final hurrah with ACDC.......

Edited by Sydney Fan

5 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Im wondering if chris cant pick up the phone because he was just a contracted member?. Im sure with contracted players its like dont call us we'll call you. Im sure that will be the same with the other members in GNR.

Agree phil dug his own grave, hes lucky he hasnt been thrown in jail with a lengthy term. I do like chris, mainly because i like the razors edge album, and thunderstruck and money talks dominated the aussie charts when the album and those singles were released. 

I wonder if this will be the final hurrah with ACDC.......

I think it's fairly certain that this will be the last bow. Cliff already retired 4 years ago, so now that he's back I'm sure it's only on a temporary basis, and the rest of the band are getting on too. But... if they still have the energy to do more, who's going to stop Angus! 

I like the Razors edge and Chris's parts on the record, it's only when he plays Phil's parts from the other albums that I'm not a huge fan... I still love live at Donnington though! having watched 50+ times😄 You might be right about the "we'll call you" thing, I'd say Chris is long enough in the game to have known he was on the outs with the band, and as he said he could get a call tomorrow no warning "Can you be on a plane, we have a tour booked, Phil's out".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ToonGuns said:

Phil Rudd is outstanding.

My only gripe is the way he plays Thunderstruck.

I agree. I loved his take on the No Bull tour where he replaced the syncopated fills with some powerful snare rolls, but beyond that he reverted to a watered down version. On that tour he was bursting with energy in general. Snare rolls all over!

It's funny that for a band where the drumming often gets labeled as super easy that the person on the drum throne can make a huge impact on the sound.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

I agree. I loved his take on the No Bull tour where he replaced the syncopated fills with some powerful snare rolls, but beyond that he reverted to a watered down version. On that tour he was bursting with energy in general. Snare rolls all over!

It's funny that for a band where the drumming often gets labeled as super easy that the person on the drum throne can make a huge impact on the sound.

Still, AC/DC has the most stable rhythm section compared to other bands. Malcolm Young, Mark Evans and Phil Rudd provided the formula for the next four decades. I still couldn't notice a decline when all of them were replaced by Stevie Young, Cliff Williams and Simon Wright/Chris Slade at some point or another. 

Edited by Sosso

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

Still, AC/DC has the most stable rhythm section compared to other bands. Malcolm Young, Mark Evans and Phil Rudd provided the formula for the next four decades. I still couldn't notice a decline when all of them were replaced by Stevie Young, Cliff Williams and Simon Wright/Chris Slade at some point or another. 

I agree that there's no decline at all, but definitely differences. I like Simon the least, but that's not to say I don't like him at all. I just think the songs sound their best with Phil and Chris.