Appetite for Destruction Rerecorded

56 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Bucket and Brain joined after the album was re-recorded. The musicians were most likely Axl, Robin, Paul, Tommy, Josh, Dizzy and Chris. Basically the original CD line-up. 

This is true but in the Loder interview Axl mentions Robin's original departure and that some of his guitar work would remain on it but not all. This suggests he was possibly intending for any incoming guitarist to add parts to it. If you apply the same logic to Josh Freese leaving, there could well be a version of AFD rerecorded that includes Buckethead and Brain, who knows?

Anyway, Axl even went as far as mentioning not knowing what to do with it and when he would be putting it out, so it certainly doesn't sound like they just did it for a laugh while fucking about in the studio.

18 hours ago, Sosso said:

I'm talking mainly about the rhythm section. Axl said that he wanted to update the drums. There are also other elements like the guitar sound. Dizzy's organ in SCOM of the synths in ISE are other examples. I'm certain that some elements of the re-recorded album are still used today. 

It is possible that if Dizzy had to find some way to come up with his own parts so he wasn't just standing there looking cool on stage, he could have come up with his parts during those sessions- although if the live shows are any indication he would be so low in the mix where it doesn't matter :lol:

I am really curious to hear the re-recorded AFD in general.  Axl's voice in that era I thought was fantastic!  Almost closer to the clean-yet-somewhat raspy vocals of 1986 and 1987 which he never really achieved sound-wise since, listening back to that SCOM '99 bit

Wasn't there that whole controversy too about Axl wanting to use the re-recorded Jungle for Black Hawk Down or something like that?   He definitely was very into the re-recording at the time from the sound of it lol

Edited by WhazUp

It sounds more like getting band members a "try out" or demo, or working out the song and arrangements together. They did the same thing with KOHD. Interesting because of the vocal work, but we've seen how every member of the band played their versions of the songs--only difference is Axls vocals after all these years. Otherwise, just meh

If this was going to be released, the best way they could have done it was having it be a bonus disc when Chinese Democracy first came out via a deluxe edition. Now I think the only other possibility would be in an anniversary set for Chinese Democracy. But with Slash and Duff being back in the band, would they really was a rerecording of an album they made to be released when it has other people playing their parts?

I have to agree with the OP; the '99 version of Appetite is a version with Dizzy & Pitman in the mix, so most if not all the songs had to be re-arranged to add more layers of keys/synths/bongos

It's unfortunate the Big Daddy version of SCOM wasn't a part of the Village leaks, would have been interesting to hear the whole thing and not just a pasted-on outro.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 6:20 AM, Powerage5 said:

Are you referring to the rerecorded WTTJ from The Village sessions? If so, I quite liked the instrumental, but agree it is quite underwhelming without vocals. 

The only snippet we've heard is SCOM from the Big Daddy soundtrack. WTTJ from the Village disc would've been for the movie Black Hawk Down, I think?

On 9/20/2020 at 7:39 AM, BigVanVader said:

I thought the re-recording of AFD material had more to do with being able to license those tracks for use in movies, TV ,etc - and not the originals (which would require payment to Slash/Duff).

I'd still love to hear it.

it's the worst when you're on Spotify and a B or C tier musician has the rerecorded "2015 version" of a hit single from 35 years ago for that sort of reason 

Edited by Ant
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2020 at 4:39 PM, BigVanVader said:

I thought the re-recording of AFD material had more to do with being able to license those tracks for use in movies, TV ,etc - and not the originals (which would require payment to Slash/Duff).

I'd still love to hear it.

Nah, that was just the re-recording of WTTJ from 2001. The re-recorded AfD from 1998/99 exists because the new musicians (Robin, Paul, Tommy, Josh, Chris) had to rehearse the songs for upcoming gigs. 

On 9/19/2020 at 1:54 PM, estrangedtwat said:

No way the re-recorded AFD vocals were used on Live Era.

If they were anything like SCOM, they'd stand out like a sore thumb.

That version of SCOM was radically different.   Man....I'll never forget sneaking into the end of Big Daddy just to hear it....and the goosebumps all over my body when it transitioned from the old version to the new version.  That was so exciting.

Good points, and nice story! But that doesn’t explain how the backing vocals on Live Era Brownstone sound so damn similar to Finck’s backing vocals on that song from Rio 2001.

12 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Good points, and nice story! But that doesn’t explain how the backing vocals on Live Era Brownstone sound so damn similar to Finck’s backing vocals on that song from Rio 2001.

Maybe they used his backing vocals and didn't gave him credits. Was his name in the Thank You section of Live Era? 

On 9/19/2020 at 9:15 AM, allwaystired said:

Ah ok, that's probably the confusion then. They sort of did/sort of didn't depending on your view of them switching out two songs. 

Yet again the absolute waste of time and opportunity saddens me.

Whenever I read anything from that era it hits me how much could have happened and never did. How many years have gone by and nothing has transpired.

I do often think that the GNR legacy, for me at least, will be one of missed opportunity and 'what could have been'. 

So true!

On 9/19/2020 at 7:54 PM, estrangedtwat said:

No way the re-recorded AFD vocals were used on Live Era.

If they were anything like SCOM, they'd stand out like a sore thumb.

That version of SCOM was radically different.   Man....I'll never forget sneaking into the end of Big Daddy just to hear it....and the goosebumps all over my body when it transitioned from the old version to the new version.  That was so exciting.

So you think that the voice you can hear in the outro of Rocket Queen is Axl from the late 80 or beggining of the 90s?? 

He never used that clean voice before so yes it was something new and re recorded

7 hours ago, Finck2006 said:

In live era they used re recorded vocals thats sure, we dont know if there are come from the same sessions.

Also the Welcome to the jungle from the village sounds more like a rehearsal than anything, all the guys are playing in the same room

I doubt they’re from the same session. That would mean the source material live is at the same tempo as the re-recording. Which they never played to a click live. It would be lunacy  for even GNR to recreate it 

They definitely redid parts for Live Era. A lot of bands did this for live albums. I’m pretty sure Robin was used for some backing vocals. I think that would have been done separately. They had the studio booked the entire time to do it.

It could have been something where Gilby/Izzy weren’t directly in front of their mic on the source material. They weren’t going to call in those guys in 1999 to redo backing vocals so they had Robin fill in since he was there 

SCOM 99 is your best guess as to what those songs sounds like at the time. 

On 9/19/2020 at 10:58 AM, t-p-d-a said:

I've always thought that Axl's recordings for Re-AFD were used for Live Era. Nightrain, WTTJ, Sweet Child O 'Mine, Rocket Queen on Live Era. These songs definitely have that late 90s Axl vocals. Could it be that after Re-AFD was canceled, the recordings were used for Live Era? I can't remember when Re-AFD was a thing. 90s? 00s?

No those are different vocals, not the same ones on the re-recorded Appetite. He recorded those vocals specifically for Live Era. 

8 hours ago, Finck2006 said:

So you think that the voice you can hear in the outro of Rocket Queen is Axl from the late 80 or beggining of the 90s?? 

He never used that clean voice before so yes it was something new and re recorded

Everyone knows which songs/lines are re-recorded on Live Era, it’s well documented. And obvious too. 

• Like 2

Estranged on Live Era has re-recorded vocals which were done right around the same time as the AFD re-recording. The rest of the song is from the 92 Tokyo show. There was a lot of “re-recording” going on during this time. 1999 should have been the year the new album came out. Shame everything fell apart when the record company crapped on the majority of the new Guns material. They were never going to fully support Axl doing a Guns project without Slash from day one.