Hard To Handle (Steve Gorman book on The Black Crowes)

RussTCB

I read it late last year, indeed it is a great book!  In fact I would say it is one of my favorite rock memoirs I have ever read - he was incredibly honest from what I thought and I really like that the book was all killer no filler - he got straight to the meat and potatoes of what we all came to the book for.

Certain passages of the tales of Chris and Rich, specifically the ones with Rich and the fallout of the tour with Jimmy Page, really just made me angry on behalf of Steve just reading them :lol:

Not many bands can claim to be in the same realm of missed opportunities as Guns N' Roses but I would argue The Crowes, while releasing a fair number of albums more than GNR, are certainly in that conversation.  Still an amazing band though, their first 4 or 5 albums were just an amazing run

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I know we have at least a few Crowes fans here. Has anyone else read Steve Gormans book? Being a massive Crowes fan, I started it on Monday and finished it tonight. 

It's really, really good. Anyone else read it yet? 

No but i absolutely need to. The robinson brothers always seemed in the early 90s when the band were getting succesful, of being into the  spirit of music. Hence getting kicked off the ZZ Top tour because they didnt beleive in music and sponsorship. The tour being sponsored by Miller back then. So im interested in hearing steves take on the brothers. 

But love the music!.

Edited by Sydney Fan

7 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I read it late last year, indeed it is a great book!  In fact I would say it is one of my favorite rock memoirs I have ever read - he was incredibly honest from what I thought and I really like that the book was all killer no filler - he got straight to the meat and potatoes of what we all came to the book for.

Certain passages of the tales of Chris and Rich, specifically the ones with Rich and the fallout of the tour with Jimmy Page, really just made me angry on behalf of Steve just reading them :lol:

Not many bands can claim to be in the same realm of missed opportunities as Guns N' Roses but I would argue The Crowes, while releasing a fair number of albums more than GNR, are certainly in that conversation.  Still an amazing band though, their first 4 or 5 albums were just an amazing run

That was my takeaway too; soooo many wasted opportunities! I loved all of their albums through Lions. I absolutely could not and still cannot get down with Warpaint but there are parts of Before The Frost Until The Freeze I like.

Jesus H Christ, that story about Jimmy Page & Rich.....i agree with everything Steve said right after he talked with Jimmy. 

I saw that tour here in Detroit and I'm even more grateful to have seen it knowing what happened after. 

46 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

No but i absolutely need to. The robinson brothers always seemed in the early 90s when the band were getting succesful, of being into the  spirit of music. Hence getting kicked off the ZZ Top tour because they didnt beleive in music and sponsorship. The tour being sponsored by Miller back then. So im interested in hearing steves take on the brothers. 

But love the music!.

It's.....not a flattering take lol. But yes, they do come off as being more about the music back then. I don't want to spoil it, but that Miller Beer story becomes wayyyy less cool when you hear what happened with the next tour. Then the brothers go downhill from there. 

• Like 2

I had a ticket for that tour, they were to play in Dublin Nov 2000 but it was canceled. I thought due to Jimmys back, but did a quick search and seems it was over writing songs together? Not sure of the ins and outs but Page threatened to shoot Rich because he didn’t want to write songs with him, is that the gist of it? 

Rich should kneecapped Page for such utterances... :D

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, username said:

Read it and absolutely bloody loved it! Very honest, very straight forward. Easy read to get though. Like you guys said, wasted opportunity is a great way to sum it up. 

I've seen the Crowes live 4 times. Some of those were absolute pure magic. 

Most Crowes shows I saw were insanely good. I think the best one I saw might have been in 2010.

I'm so grateful for the shows I saw, but the wasted potential bums me out so much. 

18 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

I had a ticket for that tour, they were to play in Dublin Nov 2000 but it was canceled. I thought due to Jimmys back, but did a quick search and seems it was over writing songs together? Not sure of the ins and outs but Page threatened to shoot Rich because he didn’t want to write songs with him, is that the gist of it? 

Rich should kneecapped Page for such utterances... :D

Yeah, it's covered in the book. I got to see the Page / Crowes tour in Detroit but then it just disappeared. I remember thinking the "Page's back" story was BS but I just forgot about it over time. The story Steve tells in the book is such a bummer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moreblack said:

Does the book talk about the band Steve almost made with Slash before VR?

I don't think so, if I remember right. It focuses solely on his time with The Black Crowes, outside of a bit about Mr Crows Garden before that. 

10 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

What happened with Jimmy Page?

Blabbermouth ran a story on my interview and the episode is blowing up! 

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ex-the-black-crowes-drummer-steve-gorman-on-chris-robinson-ill-never-be-in-a-room-with-that-guy-again/

(I'll answer the Page question later, I promise lol) 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Blabbermouth ran a story on my interview and the episode is blowing up! 

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ex-the-black-crowes-drummer-steve-gorman-on-chris-robinson-ill-never-be-in-a-room-with-that-guy-again/

(I'll answer the Page question later, I promise lol) 

Dude that is awesome!!!! Also congrats on getting in interview with a member of the Black Crows, I know how big of a fan you are!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To echo ZoSoRose on this one, that is kickass dude that you got to interview Steve and I am definitely gonna be checking that interview out very soon!  Steve on all the previous interviews promoting the book seemed just like a genuinely cool dude and a good interview so I am sure this one is gonna be no exception

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WhazUp said:

To echo ZoSoRose on this one, that is kickass dude that you got to interview Steve and I am definitely gonna be checking that interview out very soon!  Steve on all the previous interviews promoting the book seemed just like a genuinely cool dude and a good interview so I am sure this one is gonna be no exception

He was very cool to me. His signature dry humor was on full display haha. 

Shameless plug: please subscribe to the show if you haven't. We're really working hard at it. There's a lot of good episodes in the back catalog :)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RussTCB said:

He was very cool to me. His signature dry humor was on full display haha. 

Shameless plug: please subscribe to the show if you haven't. We're really working hard at it. There's a lot of good episodes in the back catalog :)

Just subscribed and listened to the episode with Gorman - great interview!  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Just subscribed and listened to the episode with Gorman - great interview!  

Thanks for subscribing! We've had a ton of fun making the show and I'd love to see it build into something big. Every subscriber helps that :)

Also, I really appreciate the compliment on the interview too. I was nervous as all hell, but I think I held it together well (mostly). 

• 2 months later...