hmm...this is depressing.

DurhamGirl

Hardly anything is happening on the forum which is understandable as nothing is happening with Guns.  I dont think there will be concerts until 2022 (more depression) so if they want to be rememberred dont they need to start doing something to remind people they exist and have people to come to see them in over a years time?  What a terrrible time for the music industry and music fans world wide.:awesomeface:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DurhamGirl said:

Hardly anything is happening on the forum which is understandable as nothing is happening with Guns.  I dont think there will be concerts until 2022 (more depression) so if they want to be rememberred dont they need to start doing something to remind people they exist and have people to come to see them in over a years time?  What a terrrible time for the music industry and music fans world wide.:awesomeface:

I don't think they need to worry about whether or not they'll be remembered, they maintained damn near radio silence for a decade, I don't think one year will hurt.  Posterity for GnR is well established and has been for a long time, they'll be remembered as a band that, for a hot minute in the 80s looked like they could be the new Stones...but they never quite made it.  For the people (and they are many) who love the songs and are of those times, they will be remembered forever.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DurhamGirl said:

I don't know about anyone else. But I have problems with this new lay out.  On top of that it isn't just about the shows. They don't do interviews(something they could do on social media) They come up with bullshit like children books and GH vinyl edition. So we are left with talking about movies, sports or politics.  That's cool but it's the only thing. So it's not worthy to spend much time here

• Like 2

all these bands with so called continuous output. led zeppelin, the stones, aerosmith, AC/DC, metallica.... all of these bands can be defined by their 4 best albums, and really, the rest is just filler. Maybe the stones are an exception but even with that band everyone always goes on about their "legendary 4 album streak" at the end of the 60s, start of the 70s. There were good albums after, but it never really matched their highs, even with the stones.

What is metallica other than kill em all, lightning, puppets and justice?

Ac/dc other than powerage, let there be rock, highway to hell and back in black?

aerosmith other than get your wings, rocks, toys, pump?

zeppelin other than zeppelin II, zeppelin IV, houses of the holy and physical graffiti?

presley other than a couple of albums in the 50s, start of the 60s and from elvis in memphis?

Do artists, bands really have more than 4 brilliant albums in them, ever?

Queen, michael jackson, the doors, I can go on and on: 4 brilliant albums, and filler.

Guns n roses also have 4 albums worth of brilliant albums, and no filler because there is nothing else apart from the frankenstein monster that was chinese.

Edited by action
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Padme said:

I don't know about anyone else. But I have problems with this new lay out.  On top of that it isn't just about the shows. They don't do interviews(something they could do on social media) They come up with bullshit like children books and GH vinyl edition. So we are left with talking about movies, sports or politics.  That's cool but it's the only thing. So it's not worthy to spend much time here

There's a childrens book? :lol:  Finally, a piece of merch I can get behind, where is it? :lol:  

14 minutes ago, action said:

all these bands with so called continuous output. led zeppelin, the stones, aerosmith, AC/DC, metallica.... all of these bands can be defined by their 4 best albums, and really, the rest is just filler. Maybe the stones are an exception but even with that band everyone always goes on about their "legendary 4 album streak" at the end of the 60s, start of the 70s. There were good albums after, but it never really matched their highs, even with the stones.

What is metallica other than kill em all, lightning, puppets and justice?

Ac/dc other than powerage, let there be rock, highway to hell and back in black?

aerosmith other than get your wings, rocks, toys, pump?

zeppelin other than zeppelin II, zeppelin IV, houses of the holy and physical graffiti?

presley other than a couple of albums in the 50s, start of the 60s and from elvis in memphis?

Do artists, bands really have more than 4 brilliant albums in them, ever?

Queen, michael jackson, the doors, I can go on and on: 4 brilliant albums, and filler.

Guns n roses also have 4 albums worth of brilliant albums, and no filler because there is nothing else apart from the frankenstein monster that was chinese.

Interesting post which I will give some thought to.

For me, things like cementing ones legacy in 4 albums is all well and good from the perspective of legacy. But for the hardcore fan base it seems irrelevant. Of course we want more music even if future people wont celebrate it the same. We can still love it!

But the fact is, that they could also have more huge songs and releases that would be part of the legacy, not forgotten.

Take Pink Floyd, they'd have at least a minor legacy had they stopped when Syd Barret left in the late 60s. And then they did indeed have a 4 legendary album run (Dark Side - The Wall). But after that, and after loosing another band leader, they had two latter day smash hit albums and stadium tours for those hit albums. Huge numbers. I think those albums were 87 and 94. Whereas the last 'big four' album was in 79.

Guns could give that a go if they cared to. If they werent so chicken shit.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, soon said:

For me, things like cementing ones legacy in 4 albums is all well and good from the perspective of legacy. But for the hardcore fan base it seems irrelevant. Of course we want more music even if future people wont celebrate it the same. We can still love it!

But the fact is, that they could also have more huge songs and releases that would be part of the legacy, not forgotten.

Take Pink Floyd, they'd have at least a minor legacy had they stopped when Syd Barret left in the late 60s. And then they did indeed have a 4 legendary album run (Dark Side - The Wall). But after that, and after loosing another band leader, they had two latter day smash hit albums and stadium tours for those hit albums. Huge numbers. I think those albums were 87 and 94. Whereas the last 'big four' album was in 79.

Guns could give that a go if they cared to. If they werent so chicken shit.

but wouldn't the hardcore fanbase, even more so than joe public, be extra critical of a sub-par delivery?

I'd bet good money that, IF a new guns record comes out, it will be either massive disapointment / cringeworthy / insincere, or all of this together. I'm sure, they're going to try to please everyone, because guns n roses is now a company that needs to make profit: to increase profit you need to broaden your market. Hell, duff even has an economic grade. they litterally have an accountant as a band member. And as always: if you try to please everyone, you end up pissing off everyone 

We want much, us fans. But  you'll see, the fun will be in the anticipation, as it always is, and we'll come down with both feet on the ground, maybe even reconsidering their past masterworks.

I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Edited by action

6 minutes ago, action said:

but wouldn't the hardcore fanbase, even more so than joe public, be extra critical of a sub-par delivery?

I dont think so - not necessarily. I neither think its a sure bet that it would be subpar. And also the bands youve listed have had many other well received albums. AC/DC has any number including Razors Edge, Stones has Tattoo You and Vodoo Lounge - heck there pandemic song was well received just months ago! Metallica fans were pleased with Hardwired and they even keep numerous tracks form it in their set lists. Also Bowie had his Heathen and Reality 'creative resurgence.'

People are loving the new Ozzy. And imho its fairly subpar and derivative. But people just love hearing new Ozzy.

10 minutes ago, action said:

I'd bet good money that, IF a new guns record comes out, it will be either massive disapointment / cringeworthy / insincere, or all of this together. I'm sure, they're going to try to please everyone, because guns n roses is now a company that needs to make profit: to increase profit you need to broaden your market. Hell, duff even has an economic grade. they litterally have an accountant as a band member. And as always: if you try to please everyone, you end up pissing off everyone 

I think with current Guns this is a fair point - that it might be insincere. Guns does have more to prove then a band like Metallica or the Stones.

Regarding Duff - he didnt finish his studies and there doesnt seem to be much of a record of his financial consulting firm existing.

13 minutes ago, action said:

I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Me too.

It really seems like none of them see their place in rock from the perspective of their own rock fandoms. Like if you love rock and want to be in a band, doing interviews is one of the things that is exciting and appealing. To connect with rock journalists and indulge themselves in talking about the craft and the artists that they like. So to me, not doing interviews is akin to them not loving rock as fans any more.

But on the other hand, theres the issue of tip toeing around Axl. Plus theyre all rather immature and socially awkward. Something that young drunk people can get away with. But I cannot imagine Slash and Axl doing a Wired Autocomplete interview or having a GQ home visit walk and talk. So maybe they dont do interviews just because theyve managed to go their entire careers without developing those personal and professional skills?

Anyways, I agree that NITL Guns is pretty pathetic... except Mel, shes perfect. But the larger issue of only needing the 4 albums and the idea that other bands havent made hugely successful and relevant music beyond those 4 albums isnt true. Guns needs to grow some balls and put out a GNR album.

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

There's a childrens book? :lol:  Finally, a piece of merch I can get behind, where is it? :lol:  

You didn't know? Well maybe you were better off not knowing. There is a thread about it in the D&N forum. The announcement was made several months ago

10 hours ago, Amaya said:

I am going to guess ,probably not.

no point for him to do so.

I agree with you, but isnt that sad that hes not brimming with ideas and creative projects? Calling up Slash with a new vocal idea? THinking of ideas for the new staging, etc?

But yeah, as it is there is no need for him to be engaged with his own band.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, soon said:

I agree with you, but isnt that sad that hes not brimming with ideas and creative projects? Calling up Slash with a new vocal idea? THinking of ideas for the new staging, etc?

But yeah, as it is there is no need for him to be engaged with his own band.

Wow that is sad but probably true, I wonder how long it has been that way.  This band is not the authentic Guns n Roses anyore, I think it is an anchor allowing them to do other things that they are really interested in and not just for cash.  No judging here just aknowledging that this is probably the way it is after all the years.

• Like 2

I’d say Guns only have two major albums, or 3 if you count UYI as two records; so there’s still space! 
And I honestly believe they still got it. Hearing Axl in 2016 and hearing his studio voice from 2018 (RtR), I know he can pull it when he wants to. 
It’s just… it always has to be complicated with this band, and they traditionally take so much time for everything. Sometimes old school is cool, but it looks like they’ve been stuck in the past even in terms of PR, releasing side shit for fans and all these things. Combine it with the incompetent and arrogant management – and here we are. 
I just hope that they’ve finished with all the NITL reunion advertising already and once the virus insanity is over, they’ll begin a real new chapter (including a different fan approach, despite of the crappy management, which is here to stay, apparently). 

16 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I’d say Guns only have two major albums, or 3 if you count UYI as two records; so there’s still space! 
And I honestly believe they still got it. Hearing Axl in 2016 and hearing his studio voice from 2018 (RtR), I know he can pull it when he wants to. 
It’s just… it always has to be complicated with this band, and they traditionally take so much time for everything. Sometimes old school is cool, but it looks like they’ve been stuck in the past even in terms of PR, releasing side shit for fans and all these things. Combine it with the incompetent and arrogant management – and here we are. 
I just hope that they’ve finished with all the NITL reunion advertising already and once the virus insanity is over, they’ll begin a real new chapter (including a different fan approach, despite of the crappy management, which is here to stay, apparently). 

I would understand one thing – that maybe, maybe they want to do it the old way, i.e. release an album and then fucking tour it, which they can’t now. 
And this year has surely been uncertain, people wouldn’t even leave their houses etc. (especially when your home has like half a mile in diameter, with pools, courts and stuff, right?). But there’s no reason nothing should happen next year. If all they release in 2021 is a small EP with two brand new songs and two covers or acoustic stuff or whatever, plus a regular NITL DVD, I’m absolutely satisfied. But something must happen. 

Edited by jamillos
  • GNFNR 1