Lars Ulrich remembers the 92 tour with GNR

A lot has been said about why Metallica went on first. The fact is still that Guns N' Roses were bigger. They were the biggest. And they weren't going to open in any scenario. Guns had a broader appeal. Metallica knew that. They may have been co-headlining but it was Metallica who joined Guns N' Roses, not the other way around. Unfortunately GN'R didn't retain that superiority. Today Metallica is regarded as bigger and more successful but back then Guns were on top of the world.

Never been a big fan of Metallica myself. Just don't see the what the big fuss is. Some decent songs though.

Edited by Sisyphus
  • Like 3

On 9/26/2020 at 11:57 AM, ©GnrPersia said:

Metallica was professional; is professional and will stay professional. Metallica is in a different league. so does Slash & Duff.

The only unprofessional is Axl. And Axl has always been ruining everything that had/has great potential including this amazing tour which ended up tragically.

Utter crap, how do you know, media?  No wonder Axl is media shy (I would have said the same about any of the others, I am not a daft little Axl fan)

• Haha 1

i was at the Indianapolis show.  Mike Patton from Faith No More landed next to me when he jumped in the crowd during the opening.  It was a loooong night ... two ~3 hr sets plus an opener and time in between.  At the end of the day Guns took it to an entirely different level than Metallica.  Stern was just stroking Lars w the "opener" stuff; at the time Guns were the unquestioned headliner. 

Axl always gave a little something extra when he came back to his home state.  He took verbal shots at the locals early (not having aspirations to do anything with their lives type of stuff) and then came back to a very positive note of hope later in the gig.  

I still rate the show I was that opened their Illusions tour at Alpine Valley as the best Guns show I have been to (3 in the early 90s and 6 after 2000)

Edited by vail2004
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On a side note, who wants professional out of their bands?  Was Jimi Hendrix professional, shit, depending on how much acid he'd dropped you never knew what the fuck you was gonna get out of Jimbo.  In the peak of the Stones, in the 70s, you had to wait til Keith Richards came down before you got a blinding set out of him.  The Who, Keith Moon passing out on his kit rammed full of horse tranquilizer.  Or Johnny Thunders.  The fact is when the aforementioned (those who actually made it to professionalism) got professional they kinda lost a step.  I think the things that made these bands great, weird unpredictable creativity, go alongside with a weird and unpredictable nature with unpredictable predilictions.  The problem arises with GnR where you get all of the above from the band, except the creativity aspect, as evidenced by their less than robust levels of output.

• Like 3

I went to the Kansas City, MO show Sept. 1992. James had a cast on in arm, Metallica got the guy from Metalchurch to play guitar.  Body Count opened this show.  They were pretty good, ICE-T impressed me.  Anyway both Metallica and GnR were great. So glad I took the day off work to see this show, 5 hour drive for me, 10 hours both ways.  Made it to work the next morning with about 1 hour of sleep.  

Going by memory here, but I think originally Axl wanted Nirvana to be the opener.  Didn't happen of course, would have been cool.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

The fact is Guns n Roses, on the worst day of their fuckin' existence, is better than Metallica at their best.  A load of fuckin' dull noise, thats Metallica.  Guns n Roses piss all over em on every level.

No, they are not. Just because you don't like them, don't mean they are worse than GNR.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

No, they are not. Just because you don't like them, don't mean they are worse than GNR.

I’m not sure how to respond this.  Yes it does mean that if I don’t like them.  There isn’t any kind of objective fact when it comes to taste and according to my taste Metallica are absolute shite.  If your opinion differs from that thats fine but there’s no objective truth here.

4 hours ago, vail2004 said:

i was at the Indianapolis show.  Mike Patton from Faith No More landed next to me when he jumped in the crowd during the opening.  It was a loooong night ... two ~3 hr sets plus an opener and time in between.  At the end of the day Guns took it to an entirely different level than Metallica.  Stern was just stroking Lars w the "opener" stuff; at the time Guns were the unquestioned headliner. 

Axl always gave a little something extra when he came back to his home state.  He took verbal shots at the locals early (not having aspirations to do anything with their lives type of stuff) and then came back to a very positive note of hope later in the gig.  

I still rate the show I was that opened their Illusions tour at Alpine Valley as the best Guns show (of the 9 I have seen) I have seen but this was close

Wow you saw Guns 91 times, I am soooo envious.  You must have loads of stories to tell;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

I’m not sure how to respond this.  Yes it does mean that if I don’t like them.  There isn’t any kind of objective fact when it comes to taste and according to my taste Metallica are absolute shite.  If your opinion differs from that thats fine but there’s no objective truth here.

Objectively speaking, they are not worse than GNR. Period.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JONEZY said:

I went to the Kansas City, MO show Sept. 1992. James had a cast on in arm, Metallica got the guy from Metalchurch to play guitar.  Body Count opened this show.  They were pretty good, ICE-T impressed me.  Anyway both Metallica and GnR were great. So glad I took the day off work to see this show, 5 hour drive for me, 10 hours both ways.  Made it to work the next morning with about 1 hour of sleep.  

Going by memory here, but I think originally Axl wanted Nirvana to be the opener.  Didn't happen of course, would have been cool.

What did you do for living then? 

5 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I’m surprised to hear you say that about Metallica. 

On 9/27/2020 at 7:42 PM, Original said:

I saw the Minneapolis show. Big deal was made of all the Metallica fans leaving after their set...the thing is if Guns had opened a huge chunk of crowd woulda bailed after them.  Only reason I (a lot of people) went to the Metallica portion was to pre game and get ready for Guns.  *That was last time I saw GnR as we knew them.  ***Yes I’ve seen Axl & friends a few times as well as NITL a few shows.   

I also attended that show. I don't remember there being a ton of missing fans for the GNR set, but I do believe we had a big thunderstorm outside the Dome. I also remember being disappointed by how few people cared about FNM. It's the only chance I've had to see FNM and between the empty seats and the lack of interest from those who were there, it just wasn't a great experience unlike the rest of the show. 

I posted this in the general musings thread earlier, but I'm glad Lars isn't bitter about it. I know that in the Inside the music about Metallica, all the guys started shitting on Axl and GN'R really badly for the Montreal riot. I'm not sure how true the claims are about the sound system being messed up, and not being set up correctly/Axl may have been sick or something like that IIRC. 

Either way, a cool time in music, how often could you see Body Count, Metallica, and Guns in a single show? The UYI was such a massive event, I'd love to write a book about it

On 9/28/2020 at 8:34 PM, Locke said:

I also attended that show. I don't remember there being a ton of missing fans for the GNR set, but I do believe we had a big thunderstorm outside the Dome. I also remember being disappointed by how few people cared about FNM. It's the only chance I've had to see FNM and between the empty seats and the lack of interest from those who were there, it just wasn't a great experience unlike the rest of the show. 

I don’t even remember FNM opening.  Wish I woulda cause I liked them back then.  And yes on the storm- Duff signed off at end with something along lines of “be careful out there...big storm now”.   

On 9/26/2020 at 6:57 AM, ©GnrPersia said:

Metallica was professional; is professional and will stay professional. Metallica is in a different league. so does Slash & Duff.

The only unprofessional is Axl. And Axl has always been ruining everything that had/has great potential including this amazing tour which ended up tragically.

What was tragic about performing at every show for three hours or more all across the world?