Lars Ulrich remembers the 92 tour with GNR

In rolling stone interview 1993, James Hetfield said 

There wasn’t much that was normal about your summer tour with Guns n’ Roses last year. In fact, in your nightly opening video, there’s a shot of Kirk Hammett mooning the camera and saying, “That’s what I think of the Guns n’ Roses tour.” What did you think of it?
That’s Kirk’s way of saying something . . . without saying something. Actually, he should have wiped his ass in that video [laughs]. It’s not too pleasant to look at every night.

Did I enjoy the tour? [Long pause] It was different. It was a good idea. We really had no idea what was going to come with it. They’re a different type of band – and I use the word band loosely. It’s a guy and some other guys. We were out to show people that there was something a little more progressive and hardcore than Guns n’ Roses. And to go about it our way. But it was hard going on, dealing with Axl and his attitude. It’s not something we’d want to do again.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 3:20 AM, The Holographic Universe said:

NITL is the same as UYI. Of course the band were younger and it’s classic Axl, but it’s still just the big 3.

Oh no, there's a BIG difference between the UYI tour and that one. Matt and Gilby would have been a big improvement in comparison to Richard and Frank.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Oh no, there's a BIG difference between the UYI tour and that one. Matt and Gilby would have been a big improvement in comparison to Richard and Frank.

I prefer Matt and Gilby as players, but it would make zero sense to have them on the tour.  It appears Izzy and Steven were offered spots. It’s still a disappointment Izzy wouldn’t accept less pay. But, he must have zero interest in the endeavor. Matt just seems like to much when you don’t need him to tour. Slash and Duff probably didn’t want Matt either. 

2 hours ago, moreblack said:

Don't know if I'd pick Gilby over Fortus. Especially for the CD material. Hell, Slash didn't even pick him for Velvet Revolver.

He was quoted as saying Gilby was to consciously aware of how Slash plays. 

2 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I prefer Matt and Gilby as players, but it would make zero sense to have them on the tour.

Just saying, to me there's a big difference especially between Frank and Matt. Regardless of sympathy or whatever, Matt influenced the sound of the band on two of their biggest records and was part on their biggest tour of their prime. He was a hired hand but accepted by most fans.

So yeah, basically it's still the big three but the chemistry back then was better too with the people who surrounded them. 

• Like 2

On 9/29/2020 at 10:13 PM, UsedYourIllusion said:

I posted this in the general musings thread earlier, but I'm glad Lars isn't bitter about it. I know that in the Inside the music about Metallica, all the guys started shitting on Axl and GN'R really badly for the Montreal riot. I'm not sure how true the claims are about the sound system being messed up, and not being set up correctly/Axl may have been sick or something like that IIRC. 

Either way, a cool time in music, how often could you see Body Count, Metallica, and Guns in a single show? The UYI was such a massive event, I'd love to write a book about it

I stated this earlier in this thread, but Lars has never seemed bitter about it, and if he is, I’ve never heard him say it. He’s always spoken highly of GN’R and Axl in particular. It was the other members of Metallica who didn’t like him. 

21 hours ago, Free Bird said:

It isn't bullshit as long as it's his opinion. 

A) He states it as fact. B) even it just was his opinion, it's bullshit.

20 hours ago, Entman said:

there actually are some bootlegs of this show floating around, pretty ballsy for metallica to blame g'n'r for anything after such a joke of a performance:

You do not seriously believe this is an actual performance??

Edited by janrichmond
removed yt video

20 hours ago, Entman said:

there actually are some bootlegs of this show floating around, pretty ballsy for metallica to blame g'n'r for anything after such a joke of a performance:

You’re not too bright are you? That performance and audio is fake and put together as a joke, purposely to sound bad. 

Edited by janrichmond
removed yt video
  • Haha 1