MTV VMA 2002 Full Show?...

...Does anyone know if this exists Online?

I remember watching it when it was on back in the day. Mixed feelings about the GnR Performance to be honest.

There is a scene just before Eminem Collects his last award, he is back stage looking at Axl and the band, Then GnR Kick off with WTTJ. Always wanted to see that again. Never been able to find it.

I'm surprised you've never been able to find it. No links are allowed on the forum but let's just say a very popular Internet video service can probably help you out.

Axl's incredible on the opening of Jungle but then it's all down hill from there. One of the many great "what could have been" for Guns, especially during that unique period.

33 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I'm surprised you've never been able to find it. No links are allowed on the forum but let's just say a very popular Internet video service can probably help you out.

Axl's incredible on the opening of Jungle but then it's all down hill from there. One of the many great "what could have been" for Guns, especially during that unique period.

I've been able to find the the GnR Performance everywhere. It's the Full Show I haven't been able to find, from Start to Finish.

Agree!...

33 minutes ago, Creed said:

2gz9ukmd.jpg

Hahah...

I just rewatched the intro sequence from the 2002 VMA’s. Jimmy Fallon’s opening sketch made that early 2000s music feel nostalgic to me, all of a sudden, and reminded me how I first discovered acts like Eminem, The White Stripes, etc. The James Brown surprise was nice too. And of course, the finale with GnR is a moment in rock history now, even if they sounded bad that night.

Edited by rocknroll41

4 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I just rewatched the intro sequence from MTV 2002. Jimmy Fallon’s opening sketch made that early 2000s music feel nostalgic to me, all of a sudden, and reminded me how I first discovered acts like Eminem, The White Stripes, etc. The James Brown surprise was nice too. And of course, the finale with GnR is a moment in rock history now, even if they sounded bad that night.

Haha...James Brown didn't want to leave the stage.

Eminem was in his Prime.

GnR were, Imo, ''the Nostalgic act''. Just Like U2 a year before them and Metallica a year after them. U2 Always seem to Pull it off.

• Like 1

I remember watching the performance in my dorm room at college, live as it happened on MTV. I was pysched  when I figured out from Jimmy Fallon's hints that GnR would perform that night, just because I had seen some footage of the Rock in Rio performance, and thought this was going to be a big comeback to push a new album....

After I watched the performance, I was honestly bummed and disappointed!! The band itself sounded great musically, but Axl was the huge disappointment. Seemed like he shot his wad on the WTTJ intro, which was the only good portion of his performance. He was out of breath and full on Mickey Mouse the remainder of the performance. I couldn't figure out why his vocals were so bad and high pitched....and one of my friends said, "His voice now sounds like he must be a smoker to me." I don't know if he's ever smoked regularly myself, but after finding out about his vocal nodule surgery later on, it's evident why he still has the Mickey pitch.. Plus, after the obvious plastic surgery, I thought he was too young still to be going that route, and just didn't look like himself....But....

On top of this, I thought the band sounded good, but the image/look they put across was horrid!!! There was no unity or direction at all. You had Tommy out there dressed in a plaid suit....Finck looked like a half-Cinobite, half-Marilyn Manson band member, Buckethead......well, looking like Buckethead....Then Axl now having dreadlocks and a Jerry Rice Football Jersey.....What exactly were they shooting for, visually?? It looked like a mish-mash thrown together at the last minute. All in all, I just feel this performance did not benefit the group in any shape or form after it was all said and done...Especially since we didn't see a new album for 6 more years afterwards. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Creed said:

It was exactly like this. I was shocked as well and even thought that Slash was behind the Buckethead costume...it was Axl's worst vocal performance ever back then...that alone says it all. The weird look of the whole band was everything but not GnR. It was like watching a car crash. It still got me into NuGnR. But GnR lost every coolness factor that night.

Hit the nail on the head about losing the coolness factor. A lot of my people like myself were completely turned off. I didn't pay attention to anything GnR after that until I heard Slash was returning to the band. 

Edited by baje
  • GNFNR 2

That was the best, most technically able lineup ever, so it was cool in that regard. Wish that lineup put out a double album. One can dream...

I re-watched some of it recently, it aged better, considering Axl's performances today, but at least he still has his moments. Jungle sounds better nowadays compared to that era.

• Like 1

It's a Buzz to watch seeing one of the Best come back to the Stage. Even though we was past his Prime.

When you watch it you see Axl pull Off a few Dance moves he wouldn't dare do now.

Imo, 2002 VMA isn't as Cringy as the 2006 VMA. Axl walking on stage and Shouting DYKWTFYA.....Crickets.

• Like 1

I remember like it was yesterday.  My brother called to wake me up and said put on MTV!  I was half asleep, thought I was dreaming and was so pumped to see Axl running around the stage.  They re ran the show back to back so I popped in a blank vhs tape to record and watch the whole show the next day.  Good times back then when there was so much excitement about a new lineup with new material on the horizon.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I still love the GNR performance. I was so pumped afterward. Was this the awards show Springsteen started off with singing "The Rising"? I thought it was a great show overall. I don't remember watching too many after this. 

On 9/29/2020 at 6:30 PM, YouCouldBeMine_2029 said:

It's a Buzz to watch seeing one of the Best come back to the Stage. Even though we was past his Prime.

When you watch it you see Axl pull Off a few Dance moves he wouldn't dare do now.

Imo, 2002 VMA isn't as Cringy as the 2006 VMA. Axl walking on stage and Shouting DYKWTFYA.....Crickets.

I agree. I remember watching and thinking the same thing-he did it as if it were his catch phrase, or something, and it was like "ok" lol