Bear with me on this one......desperate times call for desperate talking points! 

It's always baffled me how Duff and Slash were always clean shaven, despite the levels of alcohol/drug excess that were going on. We know about the amount they were drinking, the state they were in etc.....yet they always seemed to manage to shave! 

This has long baffled me. Surely, drunk as Duff was, you'd think any attempt to shave would have resulted in disaster...and that they simply would have stopped bothering. You see Duff looking bloated, unwell, trousers undone, but clean shaven. How?! 

Has anyone else ever thought about this? Are there photos out there in which they have stubble/beards? 

• Like 1
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let's see:   nah, i don't think so

Man you are all REALLY starved for news! Next the delirium sets in....

I first read the thread title as "MY-GnR members shaving", and was a bit baffled what we female users could add to it But well, it's about the band members, so all good

Posted Images

Slash had stubble from time to time during the UYI tour and had a beard during the late 90s/ early 2000s.

Good point regarding Duff, though. Maybe he just can’t grow facial hair.

i relate to this subject because my beard grows at a pretty rapid pace, and I’m too lazy to shave often (especially since lockdown started). Whenever I get on a zoom video chat now, my friends call me Gandalf! lol.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

Slash had stubble from time to time during the UYI tour and had a beard during the late 90s/ early 2000s.

i relate to this subject because my beard grows at a pretty rapid pace, and I’m too lazy to shave often (especially since lockdown started). Whenever I get on a zoom video chat now, my friends call me Gandalf! lol.

Ah, yeah, you're right about Slash. There was a goatee type thing at one point. Still, relatively 'kempt' though, for someone with his issues! 

20 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Bear with me on this one......desperate times call for desperate talking points! 

It's always baffled me how Duff and Slash were always clean shaven, despite the levels of alcohol/drug excess that were going on. We know about the amount they were drinking, the state they were in etc.....yet they always seemed to manage to shave! 

This has long baffled me. Surely, drunk as Duff was, you'd think any attempt to shave would have resulted in disaster...and that they simply would have stopped bothering. You see Duff looking bloated, unwell, trousers undone, but clean shaven. How?! 

Has anyone else ever thought about this? Are there photos out there in which they have stubble/beards? 

Ha, what a topic! :lol:

You're right, though. I would understand this with promo pics, but seeing the shows, it's the same. 

17 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

He can - at least a stache/goatee, you can tell from close-up pics. 

The 1992 bearded Axl is one of my favourite Axls, btw. :)  2006 rocked too, but I wasn't crazy about the 2010-14 Hogan stuff. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 4
2 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Ha, what a topic! :lol:

You're right, though. I would understand this with promo pics, but seeing the shows, it's the same. 

He can - at least a stache/goatee, you can tell from close-up pics. 

The 1992 bearded Axl is one of my favourite Axls, btw. :)  2006 rocked too, but I wasn't crazy about the 2010-14 Hogan stuff. 

Haha - it's something that I thought I'd finally ask others their thoughts on! 

In Duff's book doesn't he even talk about smelling awful because he didn't wash much? Even weirder when you consider that! 

• Haha 2

They prolly had someone shave them. At the time looking like a girl was the height of coolness, so it prolly wasnt seen as an option to have stubble.

And I agree that with Duff, maybe he cant grow a convincing patch of facial hair. And Slash looks like a ratty hobo with facial hair! haha

Also Izzy at the peak of his dope addiction was always shaven. Theres even that popular pic of him looking all clammy in his hat and coat on a roof top. IITC it was Robert John (or maybe Lu) who shared the story that Izzy had just come out of a binge and called the guy to get a pic. Again, my guess is that they had a straight shave service. Likely the hotels provided this service.

But the thing is, shaving isnt that difficult or time consuming. So maybe the fact that so many of us have beards now is a testament to the fact that todays men are less together than a bunch of young addicts in the 80s? lol

(Sidenote: Now that the pandemic made Manscapping a thing, has anyone else been tempted to use the thing for its intended use and for shaving your face while in the shower? Its would be so convenient! :P)

• Like 1

I can't believe I know this, but Duff did say in a video once that he can't grow a beard.

Many guys don't have much or any facial hair on the cheeks. This is probably the most he can grow, 

Resultados da pesquisa de http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/238672/Duff%2BMcKagan.jpg  no Google

• Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

Axl's always looked better with a beard, his short-haired look on the last tour would have looked better if complimented with some kind of facial hair.  Probably not the fu manchu since that look became iconic in the wrong ways, but I digress.

I've always assumed GNR didn't wear beards in their early days because they didn't fit the glam style of the time, and by the time Illusions came around they just chose their preference.  

The thing is, once you're an adult but you still have the facial hair of a 15 year old boy, it's best to just shave it all, you don't want to end up looking like Johnny Depp,

Identify Actors By Beard

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Like mentioned, Duff can't grow a beard :lol: I don't think Steven can either. Come to think of it, I rarely see blonde guys with a full beard.

I haven't been able to grow anything on my head since I was 16 years old. So I'm glad I have a beard.

Well, it’s kinda funny anyway, isn’t it. Certain (e.g. Australian) fans have news about singles and new albums, including exciting promos, while we’re stuck with threads about the type of spaghetti on the TSI cover, Steven maybe being bisexual, and some members not growing beards... plus the band manager telling us to "move on" on Reddit. 
Welcome to the fumble, we got scum and shame...

• Like 2
3 hours ago, YOUCOULDBEMINE. said:

Like mentioned, Duff can't grow a beard :lol: I don't think Steven can either. Come to think of it, I rarely see blonde guys with a full beard.

Not a full beard...but proof Steven can grow more hair than Duff. :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Not sure if this thread is the beginning of the end for Mygnrforum 2020 but what the hell we might as well just go with it! :facepalm::lol:

Slash is a bit patchy too on the beard front. I'm never sure whether he's ever purposely tried to grow one because all Slash beard pics just look like the result of being on a bender for a few days too long and forgetting to go home. :slash:

Axl remains the King of GNR beards. I always got the impression he could grow one to rival Grizzly Adams in the space of a week back in the day. Could be less of the case as he's got older -maybe that's why he doesn't bother as much now. I agree that a bit of a beard would improve the shorter hair look.

stamosslash.jpg

7 hours ago, soon said:

They prolly had someone shave them. At the time looking like a girl was the height of coolness, so it prolly wasnt seen as an option to have stubble.

And I agree that with Duff, maybe he cant grow a convincing patch of facial hair. And Slash looks like a ratty hobo with facial hair! haha

Also Izzy at the peak of his dope addiction was always shaven. Theres even that popular pic of him looking all clammy in his hat and coat on a roof top. IITC it was Robert John (or maybe Lu) who shared the story that Izzy had just come out of a binge and called the guy to get a pic. Again, my guess is that they had a straight shave service. Likely the hotels provided this service.

But the thing is, shaving isnt that difficult or time consuming. So maybe the fact that so many of us have beards now is a testament to the fact that todays men are less together than a bunch of young addicts in the 80s? lol

(Sidenote: Now that the pandemic made Manscapping a thing, has anyone else been tempted to use the thing for its intended use and for shaving your face while in the shower? Its would be so convenient! :P)

I like the idea that they might have had someone to shave them! 

I find shaving a total hassle, so rarely bother. When I do I usually cut my face to ribbons, and I tend to be sober more than 1980s rock stars. 

• Haha 1