RIP Eddie Van Halen

ZoSoRose

Merged threads.

I was driving with my daughter this morning and Eruption/You've Really Got Me was playing on the radio.

One of the all time greats.  Many can say they played, few can say they changed the game.  EVH is one of those few.

• Like 1

I was a massive Van Hagar fan for years, and actually preferred it to the DLR era. F.U.C.K. is a fantastic hard rock album, as is Balance. And I was gutted we never got a follow up to that album, and now we never will.

But, the reunion album with DLR, A Different Kind of Truth, is fantastic, and way better than it deserved to be for a band so late into their career. 
It was that album that made go back and rediscover the early DLR albums, and thus I became a massive fan of those too. 

Like others have said here, there will never be another EVH, a true innovator of the instrument. And the world is a sadder place without him here. 

#fuckcancer
#fuck2020

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

I was a massive Van Hagar fan for years, and actually preferred it to the DLR era. F.U.C.K. is a fantastic hard rock album, as is Balance. And I was gutted we never got a follow up to that album, and now we never will.

But, the reunion album with DLR, A Different Kind of Truth, is fantastic, and way better than it deserved to be for a band so late into their career. 
It was that album that made go back and rediscover the early DLR albums, and thus I became a massive fan of those too. 

Like others have said here, there will never be another EVH, a true innovator of the instrument. And the world is a sadder place without him here. 

#fuckcancer
#fuck2020

The outro from As Is is one of my favourite moments in rock ever. Would have been a standout song even if it was on VH I, it's just that good a song, got everything that makes VH great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

This one hurts like hell. Gun to my head, I would probably say Eddie was my favorite guitarist. I have virtually every riff, lick, and solo of his permanently ingrained in my head. Very, very few individuals can say they innovated their craft the way that Eddie can. I can safely say without Eddie’s contributions, rock music would not have become what it did. I feel so fortunate I got a chance to see Van Halen a number of times between 2007 and 2015. Sure Dave sounded like shit, but the rest of the band and especially Eddie...I get chills thinking about it. Eddie’s guitar solo alone was worth the price of admission in every instance, and I loved how it was never the same two nights in a row. It was so cool seeing how he could just, out of the blue, incorporate a random riff or lick from any VH song, or an excerpt from one of his guitar solo tracks, and it always felt like it was exactly in place. And speaking of Eddie guitar solos, if you were to ask me the epitome of the rock concert experience, I would say it’s the moment Eddie would break into Eruption during his solos. Can’t think of a better legacy than that. 

RIP EVH

• Like 3

God this has me absolutely gutted. Had me crying on the floor at work..

I was fortunate enough to see VH twice in recent years, and have spent countless hours mesmerized by the Man.. RIP EVH, my favorite musician of all time

This year can go fuck itself 

6 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

The outro from As Is is one of my favourite moments in rock ever. Would have been a standout song even if it was on VH I, it's just that good a song, got everything that makes VH great.

The high gain in the intro is phenomenal

• Like 1

6 hours ago, metallex78 said:

#fuckcancer
#fuck2020

I have no idea when they toured oz they only did the 1 show. A festival of all things :facepalm:. They woukd have made bank doing a show in each state, and would have done an arena show for sure. 

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I have no idea when they toured oz they only did the 1 show. A festival of all things :facepalm:. They woukd have made bank doing a show in each state, and would have done an arena show for sure. 

Yeah, Stone Music Festival in 2013.  I went along to that and what a line up - Van Halen / Aerosmith headlining, along with Jimmy Barnes, and a bunch of other Aussie rock bands, and even Kings of Chaos, who were awesome as well! 

I have been at a loss of words since I found out. EVH was IT for me. I love Slash, Page, Hendrix, etc BUT Eddie was just a step beyond all of them imo. As others have said, his rhythm playing is second to none. For me, he was hands down the greatest guitarist that ever lived, especially in the rock world. I know people cna argue Vai, Buckethead, etc. Which they were all great... But Eddie was even on a different level than them imo. He wasn't all speed and flash (although he had tons of it), he was a "feel" player first and foremost, but a "feel" player with unbelievable technique. You just don't see a lot of that.

I hate to say it, but we will never hear VH songs played properly again. Even the best of the best guitar players have a hard time (in some cases impossible) job replicating Eddie's guitar parts properly. Ya, sure you can hear a random guy do Ain't talkin' bout love or Unchained properly, but for the most part, Eddie's catalogue is not replicatable. I watch TONS of videos of people playing VH, and I can ALWAYS pick out what they are doing wrong (which I'm not saying I can do it myself either, just making the point). Which it's mostly his rhythm playing that people struggle with (some solos as well). Don't get me wrong, they can make the song sound good, even great. But they can't make it sound like Edward Van Halen. 

He was MY Jimi Hendrix... Crushed.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I have been at a loss of words since I found out. EVH was IT for me. I love Slash, Page, Hendrix, etc BUT Eddie was just a step beyond all of them imo. As others have said, his rhythm playing is second to none. For me, he was hands down the greatest guitarist that ever lived, especially in the rock world. I know people cna argue Vai, Buckethead, etc. Which they were all great... But Eddie was even on a different level than them imo. He wasn't all speed and flash (although he had tons of it), he was a "feel" player first and foremost, but a "feel" player with unbelievable technique. You just don't see a lot of that.

I hate to say it, but we will never hear VH songs played properly again. Even the best of the best guitar players have a hard time (in some cases impossible) job replicating Eddie's guitar parts properly. Ya, sure you can hear a random guy do Ain't talkin' bout love or Unchained properly, but for the most part, Eddie's catalogue is not replicatable. I watch TONS of videos of people playing VH, and I can ALWAYS pick out what they are doing wrong (which I'm not saying I can do it myself either, just making the point). Which it's mostly his rhythm playing that people struggle with (some solos as well). Don't get me wrong, they can make the song sound good, even great. But they can't make it sound like Edward Van Halen. 

He was MY Jimi Hendrix... Crushed.

I know how big of a fan you are

This is a big loss and you are right, the songs won't be played like that again

25 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Apparently he and Sammy Hagar privately made peace with one another a few months back, according to Howard Stern.

I hope this is true.

I love the Sammy era. Yes, I like the Dave era better. But for me, the Sammy era WAS my VH. I do remember Dave's original run with the band, but I was pretty young. Funny story, when I was in kindergarten, the teacher asked the class "what are your favorite nursery rhymes." All the other kids said things like "Old McDonald," "London Bridges," etc. I said "Jump by Van Halen."

But for my junior high and high school years it was the Sammy era. I still to this day LOVE Live Right Here Right Now. Yes, I know it's not a "real" live album, but I love the versions of all the songs on it none the less. Most, if not ALL of the songs on it I like better than the studio counterparts. It just REALLY captured the Sammy era to a T imo. 

I also bought VH3 the day it came out. I also don't think it's as bad as people say. Yes, it's my least favorite VH album (but that doesn't mean it's bad, plus it's better than Tokyo Dome). Eddie really put a lot into that album, so it's interesting for that reason alone. I've always felt that VH3's failure, mixed with Eddie's cancer, was the main reason why VH has been so sporadic this century. Eddie really did some creative and unique things musically (not just guitar, but musically) on that album. To see it get trashed critically and publicaly seemed to take the wind out of his sails imo