RIP Eddie Van Halen

ZoSoRose

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I read that about Sammy making peace with Edward and I'm soooooo happy to hear that. 

Hopefully that's true.... also, in the case of Michael Anthony too. I know there had been a few rumours of a reunion involving Mikey in recent years,,, possibly as a result of Wolfie going on to do his own thing. It would be nice to think they were all on good terms towards the end.

@RussTCB,

Do you know if Live Right Here Right Now is on vinyl? I did a quick Google search and couldn't find it. I have all the DLR albums on vinyl (except for Diver Down and ADKOT). The only Sammy album I have on vinyl is 5150, so I'm looking to add more to my collection, and as I said earlier, I really like Right here right now.

17 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:
17 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I also bought VH3 the day it came out. I also don't think it's as bad as people say. Yes, it's my least favorite VH album (but that doesn't mean it's bad, plus it's better than Tokyo Dome). Eddie really put a lot into that album, so it's interesting for that reason alone. I've always felt that VH3's failure, mixed with Eddie's cancer, was the main reason why VH has been so sporadic this century. Eddie really did some creative and unique things musically (not just guitar, but musically) on that album. To see it get trashed critically and publicaly seemed to take the wind out of his sails imo 

A Year to the Day kicks serious ass imo

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ZoSoRose said:

A Year to the Day kicks serious ass imo

I find the majority of that album very interesting, and better than most give it credit for. It doesn't sound like VH of old, no (neither Sammy or Dave). So that probably turned off a lot of people. But different doesn't mean bad. Fire in the hole is probably the closest song to being a "hit" on it, and should have been the lead single instead of Without You. But the majority of the album isn't "radio friendly." That isn't a bad thing imo, Chinese Democracy isn't very radio friendly either, but I still enjoy it. I would also say Fair Warning isn't very radio friendly either, and it's my 3rd favorite VH album (after 1 and 1984). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I find the majority of that album very interesting, and better than most give it credit for. It doesn't sound like VH of old, no (neither Sammy or Dave). So that probably turned off a lot of people. But different doesn't mean bad. Fire in the hole is probably the closest song to being a "hit" on it, and should have been the lead single instead of Without You. But the majority of the album isn't "radio friendly." That isn't a bad thing imo, Chinese Democracy isn't very radio friendly either, but I still enjoy it. I would also say Fair Warning isn't very radio friendly either, and it's my 3rd favorite VH album (after 1 and 1984). 

I agree with VH3, I find it interesting too. People treat it like it is an abomination and it really is pretty cool in parts. There is some great guitar work and Gary has some awesome vocals. I would not call it a bad record. 

Fair Warning, however, is a fucking masterpiece. Unchained, Mean Street, Hear About it Later, Sinner's Swing, etc. God damn. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

14 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I agree with VH3, I find it interesting too. People treat it like it is an abomination and it really is pretty cool in parts. There is some great guitar work and Gary has some awesome vocals. I would not call it a bad record. 

Fair Warning, however, is a fucking masterpiece. Unchained, Mean Street, Hear About it Later, Sinner's Swing, etc. God damn. 

My favorite is Dirty Movies. The rhythm on that song is sick. It's one of those Eddie rhythms that I have a hard time thinking someone could replicate properly. Its probably in my top 5 VH songs. When I found out the sad news, I played 1, 1984, and Fair Warning in that order. Fair Warning is the dirtiest, sleaziest, most Appetite like album VH ever did. 

Even though 1 and 1984 have all the hits, I still think they are the best VH albums. What can I say about 1 that hasn't already been said a million times? IMO it's the 2nd best rock debut album ever (behind only Appetite). 

1984 is the album that gets unfair criticisms imo. That album is a bonafide masterpiece as well. It's the apex of the DLR era. I absolutely LOVE every song on that album. People give Jump and I'll Wait crap. I'll Wait is a freaking amazing song. Try to NOT sing Eddie's guitar solo on it, you can't.

Jump brought VH mainstreem, which is a good thing and a bad thing, yes. But the actual song has a LOT more going on than people realize. Rick Beato (youtuber) did a video breaking the song down, and it's also an amazing song.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

My favorite is Dirty Movies. The rhythm on that song is sick. It's one of those Eddie rhythms that I have a hard time thinking someone could replicate properly. Its probably in my top 5 VH songs. When I found out the sad news, I played 1, 1984, and Fair Warning in that order. Fair Warning is the dirtiest, sleaziest, most Appetite like album VH ever did. 

Even though 1 and 1984 have all the hits, I still think they are the best VH albums. What can I say about 1 that hasn't already been said a million times? IMO it's the 2nd best rock debut album ever (behind only Appetite). 

1984 is the album that gets unfair criticisms imo. That album is a bonafide masterpiece as well. It's the apex of the DLR era. I absolutely LOVE every song on that album. People give Jump and I'll Wait crap. I'll Wait is a freaking amazing song. Try to NOT sing Eddie's guitar solo on it, you can't.

Jump brought VH mainstreem, which is a good thing and a bad thing, yes. But the actual song has a LOT more going on than people realize. Rick Beats (youtuber) did a video breaking the song down, and it's also an amazing song.

1984 rules, the production is great and the songs are just as good, if not better than most of their other catalog. I don't really understand people who get mad about VH going more poppy, because they always wrote fun, poppy tunes with amazing guitar playing. I don't think 1984 was that huge of a shift. 

They did Girl Gone Bad for the first time in decades at the VH show I saw, that song is mean as hell. Jump is also solid, and I think that is one of Eddie's best solos

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

1984 rules, the production is great and the songs are just as good, if not better than most of their other catalog. I don't really understand people who get mad about VH going more poppy, because they always wrote fun, poppy tunes with amazing guitar playing. I don't think 1984 was that huge of a shift. 

They did Girl Gone Bad for the first time in decades at the VH show I saw, that song is mean as hell. Jump is also solid, and I think that is one of Eddie's best solos

My ONLY VH regret is NOT seeing them on their last tour (when they played the deep cuts). I saw them in 2004 with Sammy (despite EVH being a mess, I'm glad I went). I saw them with Dave in 2012 (I think). So I saw them with both Sammy and Dave, and am grateful for that. I had opportunities to see them with Gary, and I wish I would have. In some ways, those were the best shows. I also saw the Sam and Dave tour and DTE (Pine knob). That was a fun concert as well. Dave had a straight EVH clone in his band though. 

1 minute ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

My ONLY VH regret is NOT seeing them on their last tour (when they played the deep cuts). I saw them in 2004 with Sammy (despite EVH being a mess, I'm glad I went). I saw them with Dave in 2012 (I think). So I saw them with both Sammy and Dave, and am grateful for that. I had opportunities to see them with Gary, and I wish I would have. In some ways, those were the best shows. I also saw the Sam and Dave tour and DTE (Pine knob). That was a fun concert as well. Dave had a straight EVH clone in his band though. 

That is awesome. I never saw them with Sammy (I was in middle school and that was right before I got into music). I also skipped their last tour, which I now wish I went to because they did Light Up the Sky. 

I was at that 2012 show at the Palace and then I saw Sammy and Michael with Chickenfoot in 2008 and Sammy open for Aerosmith in 2010. He did some VH tunes that time. 

1 minute ago, ZoSoRose said:

That is awesome. I never saw them with Sammy (I was in middle school and that was right before I got into music). I also skipped their last tour, which I now wish I went to because they did Light Up the Sky. 

I was at that 2012 show at the Palace and then I saw Sammy and Michael with Chickenfoot in 2008 and Sammy open for Aerosmith in 2010. He did some VH tunes that time. 

My wife and I were at that Palace show sa well. Did they play Girl gone bad that night? I can't remember. 

As for The Circle, I'm going to have to give them a shot now. I wasn't "against them" per say, I still really like Sammy and Mike. Vic Johnson just can't play Eddie very good imo. He's not horrible, but the songs sound different. I had been holding out hope for a Sammy and Dave super VH tour at some point. But now, it's going to be The Circle for the Sammy VH songs. So I might have to check them out (whenever concerts become a thing again).

21 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

My wife and I were at that Palace show sa well. Did they play Girl gone bad that night? I can't remember. 

As for The Circle, I'm going to have to give them a shot now. I wasn't "against them" per say, I still really like Sammy and Mike. Vic Johnson just can't play Eddie very good imo. He's not horrible, but the songs sound different. I had been holding out hope for a Sammy and Dave super VH tour at some point. But now, it's going to be The Circle for the Sammy VH songs. So I might have to check them out (whenever concerts become a thing again).

I haven't heard much from The Circle, is Jason Bonham still with them? I bet it would be a good gig, Sammy is always good. Chickenfoot's first album was really solid imo, I think it would be cool if they could do another one one day and maybe throw some VH songs into that set, too. 

Yeah, it was their first performance of Girl Gone Bad since the 1984 Tour. Pretty cool. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I haven't heard much from The Circle, is Jason Bonham still with them? I bet it would be a good gig, Sammy is always good. Chickenfoot's first album was really solid imo, I think it would be cool if they could do another one one day and maybe throw some VH songs into that set, too. 

Yeah, it was their first performance of Girl Gone Bad since the 1984 Tour. Pretty cool. 

Ya, The Circle is Sammy, Mike, Jason Bonham, and Vic Johnson. I believe they play VH, Zeppelin, and Sammy solo songs. They do solid renditions of the Sammy era VH songs, but like I said before, Vic can't play Eddie properly (not many can). But the songs sound good, just not EVH good. 

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

1 hour ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

@RussTCB,

Do you know if Live Right Here Right Now is on vinyl? I did a quick Google search and couldn't find it. I have all the DLR albums on vinyl (except for Diver Down and ADKOT). The only Sammy album I have on vinyl is 5150, so I'm looking to add more to my collection, and as I said earlier, I really like Right here right now.

It's not. The only 3 VH records not on vinyl are Right Here Right Now, VHIII, Best Of Volume I and Best Of Both Worlds. I have everything else, including Balance on vinyl. 

This Friday night, we'll be spinning all Van Halen at my normal gathering. You're always welcome to join whenever you wanna make the drive. 

We're also covering Van Halen on the next episode of my podcast which will be out Monday. 

33 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Band sounds good but few can properly emulate Eddie. 

Ya, I've been listening to them today. AsI said before, I couldn't give them a fair shake before. But now... It's the best we will get for the Hagar era tunes. 

As for the Dave era... I have no freaking idea. I don't have ANY interest in watching Dave solo. Without Eddie, I don't care much for Dave. 

20 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

It's not. The only 3 VH records not on vinyl are Right Here Right Now, VHIII, Best Of Volume I and Best Of Both Worlds. I have everything else, including Balance on vinyl. 

This Friday night, we'll be spinning all Van Halen at my normal gathering. You're always welcome to join whenever you wanna make the drive. 

We're also covering Van Halen on the next episode of my podcast which will be out Monday. 

Thanks, I appreciate the offer. I literally just jacked up my ankle, and am hobbling around like an old man today, probably won't be much better tommorow. 

What's the name of your podcast? Can you link it here when you do the VH episode? I'll give it a listen.

52 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Thanks, I appreciate the offer. I literally just jacked up my ankle, and am hobbling around like an old man today, probably won't be much better tommorow. 

What's the name of your podcast? Can you link it here when you do the VH episode? I'll give it a listen.

Hope your ankle gets better soon! 

My show is the Infectious Groove Podcast. Here's a link to find it easily on most podcast platforms. 

You can subscribe now and the VH episode will show up on Monday automatically:

https://linktr.ee/Infectiousgroovepodcast

Irving Azoff said Alex and Wolfgang are going to go to 5150 and go through unreleased material to see if they can maybe release something. That is probably far off, but maybe there will be one last VH album. I think it would be cool if they could get Dave, Sammy, and Michael Anthony on it with Wolf and Alex. It would have potential to be great imo. 

He also said the EVH brand will continue, so they will still manufacture musical instruments and amplifiers

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/van-halen-unreleased-songs/

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

44 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Irving Azoff said Alex and Wolfgang are going to go to 5150 and go through unreleased material to see if they can maybe release something. That is probably far off, but maybe there will be one last VH album. I think it would be cool if they could get Dave, Sammy, and Michael Anthony on it with Wolf and Alex. It would have potential to be great imo. 

He also said the EVH brand will continue, so they will still manufacture musical instruments and amplifiers

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/van-halen-unreleased-songs/

That makes me happy, to hear about the equipment. I literally JUST taught myself how to solder. Next year (or so), I am planning on building my own Frankenstrat style guitar. 

I bought a cheap squire strat (50 bucks). I just plan on using the body, adding a Floyd rose, new neck, and the official EVH humbucker. I wasn't going to do the red, white, and black paint job though. I was planning on going with the white and black striped look instead. 

Anyways, I am at least 6 month (if not a year away) from this project starting (I just spent a fortune building proton packs for Halloween). I DID worry though, if the EVH signature equipment would continue. If it didn't, they would sky rocket in value. 

• Like 1