Never take seeing GNR or any band for granted. EVH is now gone

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the passing of the great Eddie VanHalen has taught us anything, it’s that we shouldn’t take seeing any of our musical heroes for granted.  Yeah not in this lifetime tour was getting a little old, b

They went out on a good note with A Different Kind of Truth. Definitely a highlight among late career rock albums. Shows the wisdom of digging out cut ideas from one's golden era for a revisit. 

It's more a case of wanting to not see the same thing over and over. I would have no regrets not seeing GNR since 2012 if something happened to Axl, because it's been the same shit repeated ad nauseam

Totally agree.  Really wanted to see GnR again this summer in Philly.  Hoping for the opportunity next summer.  You never know when it'll be your last chance.  

Super happy and proud to say I've been to 6 GnR shows.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, mikeman5150 said:

If the passing of the great Eddie VanHalen has taught us anything, it’s that we shouldn’t take seeing any of our musical heroes for granted.  Yeah not in this lifetime tour was getting a little old, but damn I’ll still go see them no matter what they're calling the tour. You never know when it’s gonna be the last time. I saw VH for the last time in 2015, I almost didn’t go, now I’m damn sure glad I did. RIP EVH! 

100% I go and see GNR because I know one day it will be gone. I don’t complain about shit. When GNR, Metallica, U2 and maybe like RHCP are gone then it’s it for classic rock type bands. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, The Holographic Universe said:

What if you knew for certain it would the last time these guys tour music live? 

Living in Australia is motivation for me to see GnR, and many other bands, each time they are out here because I always think this could be the last time. And to be fair and honest, Axl and GnR have been awesome each time I have seen them play here over the past 27 years 🤟🏼

• Like 1

Take opportunities, sure. But there's also a case for leaving a good memory. 

For instance, if Van Halen had done a tour when he was seriously ill, and it had been very bad, there's no sense in going just because it would be 'the last time'. 

I'm of the view that I try not to take things for granted, but also have no desire to repeat the past, with diminishing returns. 

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Take opportunities, sure. But there's also a case for leaving a good memory. 

For instance, if Van Halen had done a tour when he was seriously ill, and it had been very bad, there's no sense in going just because it would be 'the last time'. 

I'm of the view that I try not to take things for granted, but also have no desire to repeat the past, with diminishing returns. 

Yeah, that’s a valid point. The band is still amazing though. Musically, I mean. Slash is a beast live and a lot of people feel he carries the show. I still think it’s a band effort. 

1 hour ago, DownUnderScott said:

Living in Australia is motivation for me to see GnR, and many other bands, each time they are out here because I always think this could be the last time. And to be fair and honest, Axl and GnR have been awesome each time I have seen them play here over the past 27 years 🤟🏼

Reminds me when i saw the eagles early 2019. Don henley told the crowd they wont be doing anymore overseas  touring like Oz anymore, so glad i saw them off my bucket list.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Reminds me when i saw the eagles early 2019. Don henley told the crowd they wont be doing anymore overseas  touring like Oz anymore, so glad i saw them off my bucket list.

The Eagles are one of the few groups I’d wish I’d seen live. I had a big list of bands I’ve wanted to see in my life, and most of them I’ve now seen live, of the big acts that is. Sadly they’re all dying out, or too old to tour down here. 

16 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

The Eagles are one of the few groups I’d wish I’d seen live. I had a big list of bands I’ve wanted to see in my life, and most of them I’ve now seen live, of the big acts that is. Sadly they’re all dying out, or too old to tour down here. 

Yep i really wanted go see them as a bucket list thing. Plus i do like their music.So when i heard they would be touring in 2019 i ponied up the money to see them. When don henley said they wont be touring here again i thought "glad ive seen them". So thats one off the bucket list.

With all of the classic rock era bands its see them while you can because there will come atime we no longer will.

Im secretly hoping Poison eventually tour down here.:facepalm:

• Like 1

I saw GNR 7 times, 4 with Slash. Obviously, it would be tragic if anything happens but that wouldn't take away from the memories I already have. I'll go see them when they come around again (and when its safe) because its a good night out, but even if I never get to see them again it isn't the end of the world. 

Now a new album.... that is different

RIP Eddie. VH was my first favorite band and 1984 was the first cassette I ever bought on my own. I’m so glad I got to see both DLR and even Sammy front them live. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

I saw GNR 7 times, 4 with Slash. Obviously, it would be tragic if anything happens but that wouldn't take away from the memories I already have. I'll go see them when they come around again (and when its safe) because its a good night out, but even if I never get to see them again it isn't the end of the world. 

Now a new album.... that is different

I'd take a new album over them never, ever doing a live show again personally. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I'd take a new album over them never, ever doing a live show again personally. 

Me too, but that is because I have been fortunate enough to see them 

On the flip I would absolutely take a Zeppelin tour instead of an album

EVHs passing is a huge loss to rock and music history. Lots of good points being made all around regarding taking artists for granted.

Along those lines, Ive been allocating my concert ticket money in priority of oldest to youngest when it comes to country music. Id love to see Kissel and Musgrave too but instead Ive seen Willie and Lucinda so far, just to be safe.

As a slight tangent - Im a lover of improvised forms of music. So I am rather at peace with having a concert experience 'for the last time.' In that to love improvised music is to think 'hope that was the last time I hear that played that way.' The concerts I miss most are local jazz-funk players who play in ever changing configurations. You not only hear different performances, you hear different bands each time - but its still the same "thing." ... But this is all indulgent musing on my behalf lol. Anyways,

I am at peace with the impermanence of music, but of course not at peace with the impermanence of humans. For instance, months before Tom Petty died, he played a field near my place. I listened from home and the conditions were perfect when they played You Dont Know How It Feels - and I cherish that memory.

10 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

What if you knew for certain it would the last time these guys tour music live? 

Honestly, if I was unsure about the vocal performance being any good, I'd still pass.

I've seen enough really good performances by Axl Rose, that I would be content.

I've been saying this for a VERY  LONG time on here! Due to the fact that I was in and out of the hospital as a kid, I learned from experience.  During one of my stays, I had a 15 years old kid as a roommate who was on life support since the age of 2. He swallowed Draino and it burned his organs. He died on the operating table at the age of 15. Seeing this kid on life support and never enjoying life taught me a lesson at a young age.

Look I get it about wanting new music. Even I'm a little frustrated now seeing that Bon Jovi and Corey Taylor released new albums. AC/DC released their single today and will release their newest and probably last album in November.  I think it's time that GNR does the same.

With that being said, I'm going to enjoy the concert at MetLife Stadium in August 2021.  This entire Covid virus is crap. I really hope that there will be some type of medical treatment. Additionally,  I  had my 19th surgery in my lifetime this summer. It was a hernia and not anything to do with my disability.  I've been through a lot of pain in my lifetime. For me, I'll go to a GNR concert no matter if they release a new album or not. The only thing that may stop me is a family emergency, which I'm legally responsible for now. Other than that, I'm looking for to sitting in section 227 (where I usually get NY Giants tickets) with my childhood friend, enjoying a beer, and watching my favorite all-time band for the 7th time in my life. 

Lastly, it's asham what happened to Eddie Van Halen. I'm glad that I saw VH in concert back in 1995. It was a great show! 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Draguns said:

I've been saying this for a VERY  LONG time on here! Due to the fact that I was in and out of the hospital as a kid, I learned from experience.  During one of my stays, I had a 15 years old kid as a roommate who was on life support since the age of 2. He swallowed Draino and it burned his organs. He died on the operating table at the age of 15. Seeing this kid on life support and never enjoying life taught me a lesson at a young age.

Look I get it about wanting new music. Even I'm a little frustrated now seeing that Bon Jovi and Corey Taylor released new albums. AC/DC released their single today and will release their newest and probably last album in November.  I think it's time that GNR does the same.

With that being said, I'm going to enjoy the concert at MetLife Stadium in August 2021.  This entire Covid virus is crap. I really hope that there will be some type of medical treatment. Additionally,  I  had my 19th surgery in my lifetime this summer. It was a hernia and not anything to do with my disability.  I've been through a lot of pain in my lifetime. For me, I'll go to a GNR concert no matter if they release a new album or not. The only thing that may stop me is a family emergency, which I'm legally responsible for now. Other than that, I'm looking for to sitting in section 227 (where I usually get NY Giants tickets) with my childhood friend, enjoying a beer, and watching my favorite all-time band for the 7th time in my life. 

Lastly, it's asham what happened to Eddie Van Halen. I'm glad that I saw VH in concert back in 1995. It was a great show! 

Well said. Hopefully the show happens and you have a great time!