Jump to content

Never take seeing GNR or any band for granted. EVH is now gone


Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

100% I go and see GNR because I know one day it will be gone. I don’t complain about shit. When GNR, Metallica, U2 and maybe like RHCP are gone then it’s it for classic rock type bands. 

Absolutely! Unfortunately all the bands like GNR are getting up there in age. To me, EVH is the first in what is going to be a long list of musicians that I grew up idolizing, leaving us. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the passing of the great Eddie VanHalen has taught us anything, it’s that we shouldn’t take seeing any of our musical heroes for granted.  Yeah not in this lifetime tour was getting a little old, b

They went out on a good note with A Different Kind of Truth. Definitely a highlight among late career rock albums. Shows the wisdom of digging out cut ideas from one's golden era for a revisit. 

It's more a case of wanting to not see the same thing over and over. I would have no regrets not seeing GNR since 2012 if something happened to Axl, because it's been the same shit repeated ad nauseam

I will never miss a chance to see my favorite band. 3 shows isn't enough. It's a different situation for me than most of the people here. Some of yall have been seeing GN'R since the 80s and 90s. I am only 20 years old. These artists won't be around forever. I gotta see them as much as I can.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, History2010 said:

I will never miss a chance to see my favorite band. 3 shows isn't enough. It's a different situation for me than most of the people here. Some of yall have been seeing GN'R since the 80s and 90s. I am only 20 years old. These artists won't be around forever. I gotta see them as much as I can.

Yes, you’ll never regret spending money to go to a good rock show! Glad to see some younger guys getting out there and seeing what a good show is supposed to be. For my favorite music, it actually started with VanHalen and it ended with GNR. Once they’re gone, they’re gone. Not sure what other rock you like, but I highly encourage you to see Motley Crue, just because the show itself is a spectacle. Mr. Mick Mars seems to be in poor health, so if you like them at all, get to a show. Rock on! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I always expected to see a VH tour, show or single with the original 4 at some stage, but obviously isn't going to happen now. Just read they were planning on in last year, but unfortunately EVH's health meant it was too late.

I also expected to see the same with GNR at some stage, so if anything the main GNR related thing it made me think is something, anything with the original 5 before it is too late.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't take it for granted seeing any band! That's why I went out if my way in the last 4/5 years to see as many of favourites as could! 

Saying that, calling it like it is, should not change AND you not going because it's sounding bad is perfectly sound thinking. I'd rather leave the memories of the great gigs I've seen than keep going to a band or artist that isn't delivering anymore and muddying things. 

Wish I got to see Eddie live, but they never came to europe when I was a fan. Met Wolfie once, he seemed like a nice fella! 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2020 at 7:17 AM, Bitchisback said:

Totally agree.  Really wanted to see GnR again this summer in Philly.  Hoping for the opportunity next summer.  You never know when it'll be your last chance.  

 

Super happy and proud to say I've been to 6 GnR shows.

Hope they csncell the whole tour again

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2020 at 10:00 PM, Sydney Fan said:

Reminds me when i saw the eagles early 2019. Don henley told the crowd they wont be doing anymore overseas  touring like Oz anymore, so glad i saw them off my bucket list.

Nice one mate, I’ve tried to catch a few older bands too over the years. Deep Purple here in Brisbane a few years back was one example, for guys their age they were phenomenal. Gene Simmons & Ace Frehley more recently another one. I think with Australia such a long way away the bands would start to question the time and energy it takes to tour here. So yeah, take the opportunity to see the legends Especially 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2020 at 3:33 AM, mikeman5150 said:

Yes, you’ll never regret spending money to go to a good rock show! Glad to see some younger guys getting out there and seeing what a good show is supposed to be. For my favorite music, it actually started with VanHalen and it ended with GNR. Once they’re gone, they’re gone. Not sure what other rock you like, but I highly encourage you to see Motley Crue, just because the show itself is a spectacle. Mr. Mick Mars seems to be in poor health, so if you like them at all, get to a show. Rock on! 

Or....you could say it was a very sad of affairs, if young people are out watching the bands of the past rather than any of the bands they could make their own that are out there now, young, hungry and eager. If I was a teenager I'd be fucking appalled at the idea of watching ancient bands at the back of arenas and stadiums! I hope if I ever have kids I won't understand the music they listen to, and they'll think I'm a silly old duffer. As has been the way through youth cultures history. It's one of the reasons GNR ever rose to popularity in the first place. Time has moved on though.  

Music absolutely did NOT end with GNR. There's so so many fantastic bands and musicians out there right now, a lot of them not getting the attention they deserve in an industry absolutely obsessed with milking the past and the bulging wallets of those living in it. 

 

 

 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Finck2006 said:

Hope they csncell the whole tour again

But when the tour starts going again, the album is going to appear, as we've been repeatedly told! I can't begin to imagine what will happen if the tour starts and that doesn't happen now.........

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Or....you could say it was a very sad of affairs, if young people are out watching the bands of the past rather than any of the bands they could make their own that are out there now, young, hungry and eager. If I was a teenager I'd be fucking appalled at the idea of watching ancient bands at the back of arenas and stadiums! I hope if I ever have kids I won't understand the music they listen to, and they'll think I'm a silly old duffer. As has been the way through youth cultures history. It's one of the reasons GNR ever rose to popularity in the first place. Time has moved on though.  

Music absolutely did NOT end with GNR. There's so so many fantastic bands and musicians out there right now, a lot of them not getting the attention they deserve in an industry absolutely obsessed with milking the past and the bulging wallets of those living in it. 

The stones and Elton John im sure arnt complaining!.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DownUnderScott said:

Nice one mate, I’ve tried to catch a few older bands too over the years. Deep Purple here in Brisbane a few years back was one example, for guys their age they were phenomenal. Gene Simmons & Ace Frehley more recently another one. I think with Australia such a long way away the bands would start to question the time and energy it takes to tour here. So yeah, take the opportunity to see the legends Especially 👍

yeah i missed seeing gene snd ace. I would liked to have seen gene as the setlist covered old KI$$ songs that the band dont play. 

The fact is, the bands may whinge about the distance, im sure they are getting compensated well by the promotors to come down here. These bands that have been around for 30 years, and really would not need the money. I doubt gene isnt short of a dollar.For newer bands thats different. Considering how well our economy has been going compared to some overseas countries and how good the AUD has been.

The last big tour i saw was earlier this year was whitesnake and scorpions. Scorpions i so hope they come back!.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Or....you could say it was a very sad of affairs, if young people are out watching the bands of the past rather than any of the bands they could make their own that are out there now, young, hungry and eager. If I was a teenager I'd be fucking appalled at the idea of watching ancient bands at the back of arenas and stadiums! I hope if I ever have kids I won't understand the music they listen to, and they'll think I'm a silly old duffer. As has been the way through youth cultures history. It's one of the reasons GNR ever rose to popularity in the first place. Time has moved on though.  

Music absolutely did NOT end with GNR. There's so so many fantastic bands and musicians out there right now, a lot of them not getting the attention they deserve in an industry absolutely obsessed with milking the past and the bulging wallets of those living in it. 

 

 

 

I never said music ended with GNR. I said for me, the stuff I like started with VH and ended with GNR. Sure there’s other music out there that I enjoy, but nothing like them. Nothing that I care to spend money on to see. Also, music is so accessible to everyone these days. There really isn’t a mainstream youth rebellion like there once was. Who cares who listens to what? I wasn’t born until 84, yet VH has been one of my favorites since I was a kid. GNR has always been my top. When I was a teen, sure I listened to some stuff that was popular at the time, but the older stuff was always my favorite. I currently work with high school kids and I can tell you, the type of rock I described it definitely alive and well. In last years yearbook, GNR was listed as the favorite band, followed by Green Day and Metallica. I attribute it to the ease of accessibility to anything. Also the Motley Crue movie the dirt definitely brought them back into the game. Kids see how crazy life was back then and feel they missed out on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mikeman5150 said:

I never said music ended with GNR. I said for me, the stuff I like started with VH and ended with GNR. Sure there’s other music out there that I enjoy, but nothing like them. Nothing that I care to spend money on to see. Also, music is so accessible to everyone these days. There really isn’t a mainstream youth rebellion like there once was. Who cares who listens to what? I wasn’t born until 84, yet VH has been one of my favorites since I was a kid. GNR has always been my top. When I was a teen, sure I listened to some stuff that was popular at the time, but the older stuff was always my favorite. I currently work with high school kids and I can tell you, the type of rock I described it definitely alive and well. In last years yearbook, GNR was listed as the favorite band, followed by Green Day and Metallica. I attribute it to the ease of accessibility to anything. Also the Motley Crue movie the dirt definitely brought them back into the game. Kids see how crazy life was back then and feel they missed out on it.

That's absolutely tragic then. I feel really sorry for kids if their favourite bands are those from the past. I don't really believe it though- there are loads of youth scenes. Grime being a very clear example in recent years. There are absolutely tons of gigs packed out with young audiences, in every genre. 

If there's nothing else you'd pay to see live than these oldies, then I feel sorry for you too. You really are missing out. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, allwaystired said:

That's absolutely tragic then. I feel really sorry for kids if their favourite bands are those from the past. I don't really believe it though- there are loads of youth scenes. Grime being a very clear example in recent years. There are absolutely tons of gigs packed out with young audiences, in every genre. 

If there's nothing else you'd pay to see live than these oldies, then I feel sorry for you too. You really are missing out. 

No need to feel sorry for me. Again, I like other music, just not enough to go see it live. Of the newer stuff I like, most of them just stand there and stare at their shoes, there’s no show. I’d much rather spend money on going to a sporting event or something that brings me some excitement.

I agree that there are scenes that have an audience, but there’s nothing that is mainstream anymore. I don’t believe there’s any new release that kids get pumped up for months in advance and then just have to have it. Music is so disposable because it’s so readily accessible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, mikeman5150 said:

No need to feel sorry for me. Again, I like other music, just not enough to go see it live. Of the newer stuff I like, most of them just stand there and stare at their shoes, there’s no show. I’d much rather spend money on going to a sporting event or something that brings me some excitement.

I agree that there are scenes that have an audience, but there’s nothing that is mainstream anymore. I don’t believe there’s any new release that kids get pumped up for months in advance and then just have to have it. Music is so disposable because it’s so readily accessible. 

For the most part you’re correct, which is why I’ll see the older bands until they stop touring. I think Metallica could easily tour 1 or 2 more times and maintain a high standard of live performance. I don’t know about GNR, though. Axl looks progressively worse every tour cycle. As far as younger bands, people love 21 pilots. I don’t like their music, but it’s a solid arena touring band. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikeman5150 said:

No need to feel sorry for me. Again, I like other music, just not enough to go see it live. Of the newer stuff I like, most of them just stand there and stare at their shoes, there’s no show. I’d much rather spend money on going to a sporting event or something that brings me some excitement.

I agree that there are scenes that have an audience, but there’s nothing that is mainstream anymore. I don’t believe there’s any new release that kids get pumped up for months in advance and then just have to have it. Music is so disposable because it’s so readily accessible. 

There's absolutely loads of music that 'kids' are excited about. It's insane to suggest young people aren't excited about music. They're just not excited about the music you like or even know. 

To say there is no mainstream music appealing to the young is nonsensical. Off the top of my head: Drake, Taylor Swift, Billie Eilish, Charli XCX, Dua Lipa, Post Malone are all mainstream acts that get young people very excited. Sure, none of them are running around with sleeveless denim jackets, hairsprayed hair and leather trousers, and that's because time has moved on. They like different things. Rock music isn't as popular in the mainstream...but there are still hundreds of bands on that genre that young people gravitate towards in droves. 

I'm not sure who all these bands are that 'just stand there and stare at their shoes'. I'd argue live music has never been better, more abundant or more exciting than in recent years, as record sales have declined. I do feel sorry for anyone who doesn't go to gigs to be honest, as they're missing out in my view, but if you're not really into music enough to go and see it and would rather do other stuff, then go for it. I'm not interested in sport, and never go and see it, so I'm sure sports fans would say I was missing out. 

It sounds a bit to me like you may be rather stuck in the 80s though! There's a LOT of good stiff out there. 

The times they are a changin'! 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

There's absolutely loads of music that 'kids' are excited about. It's insane to suggest young people aren't excited about music. They're just not excited about the music you like or even know. 

To say there is no mainstream music appealing to the young is nonsensical. Off the top of my head: Drake, Taylor Swift, Billie Eilish, Charli XCX, Dua Lipa, Post Malone are all mainstream acts that get young people very excited. Sure, none of them are running around with sleeveless denim jackets, hairsprayed hair and leather trousers, and that's because time has moved on. They like different things. Rock music isn't as popular in the mainstream...but there are still hundreds of bands on that genre that young people gravitate towards in droves. 

I'm not sure who all these bands are that 'just stand there and stare at their shoes'. I'd argue live music has never been better, more abundant or more exciting than in recent years, as record sales have declined. I do feel sorry for anyone who doesn't go to gigs to be honest, as they're missing out on my view. 

It sounds a bit to me like you may be rather stuck in the 80s! 

The times they are a changin'! 

Reading this made me think of Don Henley of The Eagles saying that they were almost arrested on numerous occasions for loitering onstage. 😄

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2020 at 11:52 AM, allwaystired said:

I'd take a new album over them never, ever doing a live show again personally. 

Not me. There’s nothing like the live energy at a GNR performance. I’d go monthly if I could. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Reading this made me think of Don Henley of The Eagles saying that they were almost arrested on numerous occasions for loitering onstage. 😄

Did he say that?? Haha! Excellent comment! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, allwaystired said:

Wait until they return to Vegas residencies and you might well be able to! 

The band will not have to return to a residency. I personally had no problem with the residency, but at the same time it could be argued that it’s a career low point. Although, Vegas residencies have become much more credible in recent years. It’s not the kiss of death it once was. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

The band will not have to return to a residency. I personally had no problem with the residency, but at the same time it could be argued that it’s a career low point. Although, Vegas residencies have become much more credible in recent years. It’s not the kiss of death it once was. 

I'd take that bet. At some point in the next, say, 5-10 years they will absolutely be doing a Vegas residency again. 

What makes you think they won't? Many others have.....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I'd take that bet. At some point in the next, say, 5-10 years they will absolutely be doing a Vegas residency again. 

What makes you think they won't? Many others have.....

I just can’t see U2, Metallica or RHCP doing one. GNR have returned to that level. How would you go from playing stadiums to another residency? I don’t want GNR to keep touring if Axl doesn’t address his appearance. I know some people here don’t mind, but his weird as hair cut and huge gut are a turn off for me. If the band releases one more album than I’d be happy with one more tour to play the songs and circle the world one last time, but other wise I’d like to see GNR hang it up before Axl becomes 60. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I just can’t see U2, Metallica or RHCP doing one. GNR have returned to that level. How would you go from playing stadiums to another residency? I don’t want GNR to keep touring if Axl doesn’t address his appearance. I know some people here don’t mind, but his weird as hair cut and huge gut are a turn off for me. If the band releases one more album than I’d be happy with one more tour to play the songs and circle the world one last time, but other wise I’d like to see GNR hang it up before Axl becomes 60. 

I think the three you mention are way ahead in terms of drawing power as they've built things up over the years. Without anything new, GNR will slide pretty quick I think, after the boost that was the novelty of NITL. The box has been ticked for most people now. Lady Gaga did a Vegas residency not so long back, so I think they could do something similar. Bit bigger venue than Appetite For Democracy. 

I'm not that bothered at all at how Axl looks, but I totally agree with the rest of it. If there is an album then a go around the world to support it then call it a day. Their songs and style aren't going to look great performed by men in their 60s and 70s, for sure. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...