Never take seeing GNR or any band for granted. EVH is now gone

22 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I just can’t see U2, Metallica or RHCP doing one. GNR have returned to that level.

They haven't really returned to that level. They were at that level when NITL first kicked off, no question about that, but it's been a steady decline over the last couple years. They've lost all the momentum they had in 2016, the last tour was mostly festivals and arenas, and a couple "small venue" shows in Vegas. The sales for the 2020 US stadium tour were awful, and it was announced before all the covid shit happened. If all they want to do is continue touring, I'm sure they'll do at least one more Vegas residency before they retire.

2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

There's absolutely loads of music that 'kids' are excited about. It's insane to suggest young people aren't excited about music. They're just not excited about the music you like or even know. 

To say there is no mainstream music appealing to the young is nonsensical. Off the top of my head: Drake, Taylor Swift, Billie Eilish, Charli XCX, Dua Lipa, Post Malone are all mainstream acts that get young people very excited. Sure, none of them are running around with sleeveless denim jackets, hairsprayed hair and leather trousers, and that's because time has moved on. They like different things. Rock music isn't as popular in the mainstream...but there are still hundreds of bands on that genre that young people gravitate towards in droves. 

I'm not sure who all these bands are that 'just stand there and stare at their shoes'. I'd argue live music has never been better, more abundant or more exciting than in recent years, as record sales have declined. I do feel sorry for anyone who doesn't go to gigs to be honest, as they're missing out in my view, but if you're not really into music enough to go and see it and would rather do other stuff, then go for it. I'm not interested in sport, and never go and see it, so I'm sure sports fans would say I was missing out. 

It sounds a bit to me like you may be rather stuck in the 80s though! There's a LOT of good stiff out there. 

The times they are a changin'! 

Lol you make some good points, but I don’t think you get what I’m trying to say about the mainstream appeal. While I agree there are some acts that kids like, I don’t think it’s near the level it once was. Kids would rather stay at home and make tik tok videos than go to concerts. At least that’s what I see. All the acts you mentioned do get a ton of YouTube hits, but I don’t think they anticipate the release. Just my opinion.

And while I prefer my live music from the 80’s I’m definitely not stuck there lol. I’m quite progressive in most other things. Each their own man. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mikeman5150 said:

Lol you make some good points, but I don’t think you get what I’m trying to say about the mainstream appeal. While I agree there are some acts that kids like, I don’t think it’s near the level it once was. Kids would rather stay at home and make tik tok videos than go to concerts. At least that’s what I see. All the acts you mentioned do get a ton of YouTube hits, but I don’t think they anticipate the release. Just my opinion.

And while I prefer my live music from the 80’s I’m definitely not stuck there lol. I’m quite progressive in most other things. Each their own man. 

Ah we like what we like! It's cool. Please don't think I'm dissing you or anything! I mean I'm on here, so I'm the same really......just can't get past GNR, despite the fact they never do anything new or surprising! I get told all the time I need to 'move on' by friends! 

I get what you're saying totally to be honest. Things do seem different in so many ways, and maybe some of that magic and excitement has gone from music.....but maybe we've just got a little more cynical as we grew up? Who knows. 

As long as you're getting something out of the music you listen to, good for you! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I think the three you mention are way ahead in terms of drawing power as they've built things up over the years. Without anything new, GNR will slide pretty quick I think, after the boost that was the novelty of NITL. The box has been ticked for most people now. Lady Gaga did a Vegas residency not so long back, so I think they could do something similar. Bit bigger venue than Appetite For Democracy. 

I'm not that bothered at all at how Axl looks, but I totally agree with the rest of it. If there is an album then a go around the world to support it then call it a day. Their songs and style aren't going to look great performed by men in their 60s and 70s, for sure. 

No, not at all. I love the band, but the idea of a 65 year old Axl performing on stage doesn’t sound like a solid idea for many reasons. It would also be a shame if the original band doesn’t unite for a song or two on the future. I really don’t understand Izzy. I don’t think even equal distribution of the profits would sway him. He just doesn’t seem to care about the legacy of the band.

• Like 2

On 10/9/2020 at 11:48 PM, Sydney Fan said:

yeah i missed seeing gene snd ace. I would liked to have seen gene as the setlist covered old KI$$ songs that the band dont play. 

The fact is, the bands may whinge about the distance, im sure they are getting compensated well by the promotors to come down here. These bands that have been around for 30 years, and really would not need the money. I doubt gene isnt short of a dollar.For newer bands thats different. Considering how well our economy has been going compared to some overseas countries and how good the AUD has been.

The last big tour i saw was earlier this year was whitesnake and scorpions. Scorpions i so hope they come back!.

Whitesnake and Scorpions are legendary bands - well done! My last two bands I got to see earlier this year were Cold Chisel at A day on the green (they were brilliant), and Tool here in Brisbane and flew to Melbourne to see them again. They were amazing.

Ace and Gene were fantastic. It was a small intimate venue, and I spoke with the owner of the Tivoli later on and he said Gene was lovely. He walked around talking to all the staff and gave the owner one of his box sets or something.

It would be awesome if Australia can clean COVID-19 a bit more and entice overseas bands to come back and play soon. 👍